JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE VERSES DURANGO May 07, 2012 08:50AM
This isn't pulling related so it'll probably get zapped: Can anyone out there tell me the basic differences, or major differences, if any, between say a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and a 98 Durango drivetrain?? You know, motors, trannys, transfer cases, quadratrac, etc.

Re: JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE VERSES DURANGO May 08, 2012 12:02AM
Jeep all the way. Wife has a 99 Grand Cherokee and loves it. 4.0 inline 6 (run forever) and one hell of a chassis under it. I have heard the Durangos have tranny trouble on some and I am sure they don't get the fuel mileage the 4.0 Jeep gets. The Jeep will give you a rough ride though on a bumpy back road.

J R
Eastern Extreme Pulling
www.easternextremepulling.com
EEPPULLINGVIDEOS

Pro Pulling Magazine
Hook Magazine

Re: JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE VERSES DURANGO May 08, 2012 12:41AM
Don't know about the drivetrain and such, but a Grand Cherokee all the way. Go to the opera luxury but back road it if you want. JW

Re: JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE VERSES DURANGO May 08, 2012 01:54AM
The v8 jeep has the same drivetrain as the durango, which also means the same tranny problems. The straight six jeep motor is bulletproof but if I was to choose between the two it would be the durango for the rest of the truck, quieter and bettter ride. Better suspension parts too, when I used to work at the local repair shop we were always putting on the jeeps steering links, tie rods, ball joints, and especially sway bar links wich rattle all the time !!! That vintage jeeps also had a lot of carrier bearing problems in the rear end and ABS wiring/sensor problems. Also seemed like about half of them i would test drive had a body rattle somewhere that would drive me nuts! But then again i'm a GM guy so yea. lol

Re: JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE VERSES DURANGO May 08, 2012 01:58AM
Oh the durango is heavier and will get a little less milage also. you asked about the quad track awd system i would stay away from high milage units as the viscuous coulpler (transfer case for all wheel drive) had a lot of problems.

Re: JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE VERSES DURANGO May 08, 2012 02:06AM
Thanks "lucky13puller". THAT'S the reply I was looking for. I suspected that the Durango and Cherokee had the same identical drivetrain, but, didn't know for certain. Any other info that you'd care to share?? I want to stay in the 96,97,98 vintage.

Re: JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE VERSES DURANGO May 08, 2012 04:26AM
I can't speak for the Jeep but we have a 98 Durango that we have had great service out of. I was my wife's,then ,then my sons and now is used at the ski area. When we used it as our personal daily driver all we ever did to it was general service, no break downs ever. We had a one year old Chevy that we traded on the Durango because it was in the shop all the time. The fuel mileage was not great but we had the 360 C.I. engine in it,pulled our boat great.

A good friends wife had a Grand Cherokee and loved it, got really mad at her husband when he traded it in on a Chevy :-) .

S'no Farmer

Re: JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE VERSES DURANGO May 08, 2012 08:01AM
umm... stay away from the v6 durango if you haul or pull anything as it bearly has enough power to pull itself around. can't think of anything else off hand but ask and i'll try to help

Re: JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE VERSES DURANGO May 08, 2012 08:20AM
I had a 98 during also with the 360 and it hardly ever gave any trouble. I didn't like the fact it seemed like snow piled up on the rear bumper, by the tailgate. Seen quite a few with the tailgate rotting. A lot better ride than the jeep.

Re: JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE VERSES DURANGO May 08, 2012 08:27AM
THE 1998 DURANGO USED A 3.9L V6, 5.2L OR 5.9L V-8 WITH A 42,44 OR 46RE TRANS DEPENDING ON APPLICATIONS, THE AXLES AND TRANSFER CASES ARE DIFFERENT OF WHAT IS IN THE GR CHEROKEE AND DURANGO. SO IF THE QUESTION IS WILL THEY EXCHANGE FROM ONE VEHICLE TO THE NEXT, NO. SYSTEMS ARE DIFFERENT. THE GR CHEROKEE CAME WITH A 4.0L I-6, 5.2L AND 5.9L V-8 DEPENDING ON APPLICATIONS. TRANSMISSION BELL HOUSING ARE THE SAME ON THE V-8 BUT DIFFERENT ON THE 4.0L. THE GR CHEROKEE FULL TIME TRANSFER CASES DID HAVE SOME VISCOUS COUPLER ISSUES OF BINDING ON TURNS WHEN THEY GOT SOME HIGHER MILES ON THEM. AND CARRIER BEARING NOISE AGAIN WITH MILES ON THEM. DURANGO IS ON THE SAME PLATFORM AS THE DAKOTA OF THE SAME ERA. FULL FRAME. GR CHEROKEE HAS INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION. HOPE THIS IS WHAT YOUR ASKING IN THE QUESTION. PETE

Re: JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE VERSES DURANGO May 13, 2012 09:49PM
I have a 99 Durango,240,000 miles.Bought it with 30,000 miles.Since we bought it these are the repairs we've done to it;waterpump,Transmission @100,000 miles,range fork and gear every 100,000 miles,and numerous brakejobs and a couple u-joints.The transmission burnt up due to a check valve in the cooler line getting plugged.That was fixed by removing it and putting a check vale kit in the valve body.The range fork and gear problem is an afternoon fix with approx.$70 worth of parts.I drive it daily 60 miles round trip to work on county roads and 2 lane state roads and get about 15 mpg.It has the 360,or 5.9ltr if you are a youngin'.My wife will not let me get rid of it,she likes it to much.I guess one of these days I'll have to pull it in the shop and give it a frame off restoration.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,793, Posts: 229,997, Members: 3,340.
This forum: Topics: 37,103, Posts: 226,071.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009