essex junction May 08, 2012 11:42AM
does anyone have any info on the essex junction pull for 2012, or is there going to be one? classes and schedule would be good. thanks

Re: essex junction May 08, 2012 11:55AM
from what i heard they are done pulling go to Rutland,VT that day nytpa will be pulling there

Re: essex junction May 08, 2012 01:12PM
It's in the Puller mag.

Re: essex junction May 11, 2012 06:41AM
The pull in Vermont doesn't help us 4x4 guys..... So is there actually going to be NO pull in Essex this year?

Re: essex junction May 11, 2012 07:22AM
as per ntpa schedule no pull in essex this year

Re: essex junction May 11, 2012 12:33PM
harold , from the champlain valley expo web site, "dixie chopper grand national truck and tractor pull mon. sept. 3" i just read it a few days ago , but i can't remember where, it said "invitational" only but i can"t remember the classes, sorry.

Re: essex junction May 11, 2012 01:37PM
i'm just saying nothing on ntpa schedule for that event i will be in rutland anyways

Re: essex junction May 11, 2012 01:00PM
FWD: RN 1
SF: INV
MOD: GN INV
SEMI: GN INV

Re: essex junction August 21, 2012 10:50AM
hey guys just courious with the hooks being invational do they still count towards the points championship or not?

Re: essex junction September 03, 2012 05:59PM
I seen on the website that the numbers were down again there was only a total of 15 hooks. So how much longer will they becoming or will a different series be going there soon. Also was told that the sled that they used was Nerpass Pulling Sled that was a white sled never have heard of that one does anyone have any infromation on the sled.

Re: essex junction September 04, 2012 12:46AM
it is the same sled as dan's old orange sled. just has some new white decals on the front parts of the sled

Re: essex junction September 04, 2012 01:00AM
"watcher" - youi're right about it being Dan's sled. You're wrong about it being "just some white decals on the front of sled".
At the Burlington, KY (Sullivan's) pull (which started off the northern pulling season), Dan said it is a complete repaint. As I photographed it and saw it up close, it is. A much nicer appering sled than the orange ones.
You can see several photos of it on www.DaveDannPhotos.com

Re: essex junction September 04, 2012 01:32AM
sorry didn't think it was that big of a deal.do they still call it thousand pass nearpass out west

Re: essex junction September 04, 2012 12:56AM
Nearpass has been around a long time with his sleds, he does lots of pulls.

Re: essex junction September 04, 2012 09:41AM
A little Nearpass history- he has been coming east to NY for many years in August/ early September. He campaigned the last Thumb sled built- Thumb #14 which he still owns and now is the Humiliator 14. That sled has been through a couple rebuilds- one a complete overhall with cab added and changes to make it similar to his Humilator 15, which is the one that was east this year. That sled I believe Dan built himself in late 1990's. It started out Red and then went orange and now you see it white with orange highlights. The Thumb #14 may have been the first and only Thumb sled with rear engine instead of the engine in front above the pan. Some of the old Thumb sleds are still kicking around but I have no idea if there was a Thumb #13 or where it might be or if it was rear or front engine.

Re: essex junction September 04, 2012 10:50AM
When seen pictures of the sled it looked very similar to a sled i seen the USHRA use back in 1988 for a pull that was televised from phoenix if anyone knows what sled I am talking about there.

Re: essex junction September 04, 2012 01:07PM
the sled that was used in Phoenix was Loren Puyear's. Here is a video of that pull:
[www.youtube.com]

The thumb #14 sled was built I believe in the late 80's.

thumb/nearpass sleds September 04, 2012 04:07PM
Since the topic has switched gears, I renamed the subject accordingly.
I believe 'different' is correct that Thumb #14 was built in late 80's by Thumb Truck Equipment and operated by the shop's part owner, John Elenbaum. Those sleds were known as the "Humiliator".
Last week while at Hudsonville, MI - GN, I tried finding out if the Humiliator sleds that fair use to build, own & operate is the one they sold possibly to Elenbaum to launch him into the sled business. No one could answer that question. Interestingly, that old Humiliator sled was one that had to pay the lawsuit royalty fee to Billy Watkins for the patent infringement.
The Nearpass brothers bought the Thumb #14 sled, which Craig Storm still currently operates for Nearpass.
As I recall, there is no Thumb #13, having asked John Elenbaum why. He told me something like, 'Just wanted to make certain I did not build a jinxed sled.'

Re: thumb/nearpass sleds September 05, 2012 01:31AM
Your right Dave. The Thumb #14 came out in 1989. I remember it as we had our new sled out that year and Dave Hagar had his twin motor sled come out that year as well. I believe it's debut was Cayuga Ontario when NTPA was there that year. They were trying to get the water in the pan idea to work there not sure how that went . It is #14 that Craig Storm runs and yes John Ellenbaum was scared of a #13 sled.

Just a question is Nearpasses sleds Grand National Certified?

Just wondering why the Iron Man sleds come into Michigan. Smiling

Re: thumb/nearpass sleds September 05, 2012 04:09AM
Yes on their web site NTPA list all approved sleds his 3- Humiliator Jr., Humiliator 14, and Humiliator Red (I believe now 15) are all listed. Not sure if Lucas PPL has such a listing or if Nearpass sleds are on it.

Re: thumb/nearpass sleds September 05, 2012 05:13AM
They might be Level 7 but not Level 8 .
You can be NTPA certified even with a Level 6 but it won't allow you to run GN.

Just curious if he was a Level 8. Spinning

Re: thumb/nearpass sleds September 05, 2012 07:45AM
I am not sure which classes need Level 8 and which require only Level 7. Humiliator 15 did the NTPA GN pull in Monroe MI which somwhere on line from that pull I saw the sleds new colors. They had 7500 lb Mods and Alcohol Super Stocks but not unlimited mods or semi's so maybe a Level 7 is fine for that pull? If anyone knows which classes are Level 7 sled and which are level 8 I would find it interessting to know that.

Re: thumb/nearpass sleds September 06, 2012 02:55AM
They use the Nearpass transfer machine at Morley for the GN Super Semi class. JW

Re: thumb/nearpass sleds September 05, 2012 01:36AM
"Interestingly, that old Humiliator sled was one that had to pay the lawsuit royalty fee to Billy Watkins for the patent infringement."

I don't know if it is still that way but when we first joined NASOA a percentage of our fee from all sleds went to pay for the patent infringement.Spinning

Re: thumb/nearpass sleds September 05, 2012 02:03AM
Interesting how they got a ruling on patent infringement when there were transfer sleds that were exempt from the law suit!
I would think the Pre-Existing (exempt) sleds would have an infringement case against the plaintiff.

Re: thumb/nearpass sleds September 05, 2012 03:06AM
Back in the late 80's I believe everyone paid into it if they were a member of NASOA. I may be wrong but the patent may have expired now as I can't remember if we were still paying into it when we sold in 2004. The Bowling Green guys years ago built a sled that didn't have a moving weight box and it was to be exempt. I don't think that sled design ever went anywhere and it was either cut up or might be in the museum. I remember Bill Watkins didn't have the first sled with a weight transfer box he was just the first to patent it.Smiling

Re: thumb/nearpass sleds September 05, 2012 06:34AM
I believe the Lustiks in PA have the Heartbreaker 3, which was the one that didn't have a weight transfer box. Would be interesting to see a picture of that sled.

Is this the sled? September 06, 2012 07:35AM
Does this look like the sled you mean?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2012 07:35AM by Oliver1655.

Re: Is this the sled? September 08, 2012 06:54PM
I'm not sure, I never have seen a picture of it before that I remember. Maybe some of the others will know?

Re: thumb/nearpass sleds September 06, 2020 03:37AM
I build the scooterdoodle in 89 and didn't have to pay Watkins. the landol sled also was not part of the suit.

Re: thumb/nearpass sleds September 05, 2012 01:29PM
Dave,
I did a little checking and the old Hudsonville Humiliator was sold to a Group and operated as the Fremont Humiliator until it was sold to Morley. Now it has been sold to a Group further North and used for pickups and farm stockers.

Re: thumb/nearpass sleds September 09, 2012 12:07AM
TTPA's Aggravator was originally built by Ellenbaum, but there's nothing but the framerails left on it these days.

Re: thumb/nearpass sleds September 09, 2012 07:56PM
Here's a history lesson & "class reunion" of the Thumb sleds.

#6 is in OH, not sure of its owner
[www.youtube.com]

#7 is in ME, purchased by North Carolina Tractor Pullers Assoc. in 1984 & sold in 2004 to Russell Bugbee its current owner.
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.mainepullsled.com]

#8 is Singers orange Palestine Dyno these days
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.singersledrental.com]

#9 is in Canada with the Executioner Sled Team under the name Rude Awakening
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.executionersledteam.com]

#10 was the mini sled now owned by Northeast Sled Services
[www.northeastsledservices.com]

#11 was purchased by Dan Chrisiani & Track Builders before my dad Donnie Thomas bought it in the late 80's.
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.carolinasledrental.blogspot.com]

#12 was purchased by Mark Branthoover of PA & is now owned by Temple Brizendine & Dragon Motorsports in Millers Tavern VA. Steve Gibson is the operator.
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.dragonpulls.com]

#13 does not exist as Daryl & John were superstitious

#14 is still Nearpass Humiliator 14
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Re: thumb/nearpass sleds September 09, 2012 11:59PM
#12 is operated by Steve Haston.....aka Hot Rod. Nice history lesson Logan. See you at the Buck Pull Off this weekend. I'll be there Friday night. Get some rest this week! Ya gonna need it! Beer

J R
Eastern Extreme Pulling
www.easternextremepulling.com
EEPPULLINGVIDEOS

Pro Pulling Magazine
Hook Magazine

Re: thumb/nearpass sleds September 10, 2012 05:56AM
is that this weekend. all ready. your long lost cousin lil less patience

Re: thumb/nearpass sleds September 10, 2012 01:00PM
OOOPS! guess that thick eastern VA accent messed me up lol. See ya Saturday Squatch Spinning

Re: thumb/nearpass sleds September 10, 2012 02:57AM
In that one clip under #12, isn't that the old "3 Bears" 4WD?

Re: thumb/nearpass sleds November 27, 2013 12:39PM
when did nearpass buy humiliator #14?

Re: thumb/nearpass sleds November 27, 2013 12:47PM
mid to late 90s.

Re: essex junction September 05, 2020 04:22PM
I don’t know who Dan is but my grandfather Budd Elenbaum and his two sons Daryl and John Elenbaum built the orange and I believe there may have been a red humiliator sleds at Thumb Truck Equipment in Pigeon MI for years. Mostly orange though. Are those the sleds we’re talking about? They’ve even had at least one hitched up to and stolen right off the lot many many years ago. Back then in 80’s that was a big deal for me as a kid to be around those tractors and trucks. Good times!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009