Clutch Issues May 20, 2012 01:24PM
I recently installed a heavier stock clutch in my 4020. It is basically the same as stock but it has heavier springs in the clutch pack. It was taken off another guys 4010 and it held up to 400hp. Now to the problem. I got the tractor back together and when i put it in a gear and let the clutch out it acts like it wants to stall because of something binding. It also shifts very hard like there is pressure on the shaft. I can wheel it around the shop when it's in neutral or tow but as soon as I start it up and let out the clutch it acts like it's binding. Any thoughts?

Re: Clutch Issues May 20, 2012 02:50PM
Did the tractor roll together OK. Did you check fit of the disc into the flywheel? You are sure that you did not force it together with the bolts? Sounds like a warped disc to me.

Re: Clutch Issues May 21, 2012 06:15AM
Yes, I made sure the disk fit on the shaft properly. It went together smoothly until the engine and clutch housing were about an inch apart. Then I put the bolts in and evenly brought both sides together. Should I split it again or take the cover off the transmission and look down there to make sure it isn't half caught in gear?

Re: Clutch Issues May 21, 2012 07:22AM
Sounds to me like you warped a disc.The last inch is very critical.When you pulled it with the bolts you probably warped the clitch disc,may have damaged the pilot bearing also.The last inch is where the imput shaft splines slide into to clutch disc.I will tell you like the old John Deere mechanic told me,NEVER EVER PULL IT TOGETHER WITH BOLTS!!!!Work it together until the two halves meet.

Re: Clutch Issues May 21, 2012 07:39AM
Did you put the disk in wrong. The long part points foward, not to the back as you might think.

Re: Clutch Issues May 21, 2012 08:08AM
I"m curious to what you find.. Usually if you bend the disk.. it will not go into gear.. or if you start it in gear.. it won't stop.. (the disk is dragging on the flywheel)
I hadn't thought about the disk in backwards.. I guess its possible that its dragging on the PTO clutch.. and the PTO brake would be on..(but I would think that it would easly over power the brake.) Try putting it in gear, and turn on the PTO, and they letting out on the clutch...
Is the rest of the pressure plate stock??

Just thinking out loud...

Re: Clutch Issues May 21, 2012 12:14PM
Everything is stock besides the springs in the clutch pack. It has the heavy duty puck style plate. Could I have put this in backwards? Which way is correct? I also started the tractor and noticed the pto is turning. It is not just free wheeling. The tractor also still acted up when I tried JDGnut's procedure. Like it was stated earlier, I believe the splines were not alined or the plate was installed backwards which causes the hard shifting and binding. Any more thoughts before I go ahead and split it?

Re: Clutch Issues May 21, 2012 02:31PM
if it binds hard enough it will break the bolts holding the charge pump on and push the top shaft back

Re: Clutch Issues May 24, 2012 12:33AM
lucky was correct. The bolts all broke off at the transmission pump causing the trans shaft to move back. This caused hard shifting and binding when the clutch was let out. I put new bolts in the pump and was good to go. Thanks for all the help.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,697, Posts: 229,796, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member CBeard