12.5 liter deere June 11, 2012 03:46PM
Will a 12.5 liter engine out of a 9400 john deere tractor bolt up to a 5020/6030 rearend?

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 11, 2012 10:03PM
I believe it will, I have looked at the bolt pattern before, and it does look the same.

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 12, 2012 10:24AM
We've been over this whole thing before too...still doesn't have a stock appearing block/fuel system for farm stock/open farm. It would be a SWEET farm ride though!

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 12, 2012 01:54PM
My next question would be a computer program to run it where would you find that?

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 12, 2012 03:38PM
Thought the samething, or is there a place that makes
injectors and pump and pump drive and mounting too do it.

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 12, 2012 09:42PM
if I were to undergo such a project, I would really look into a way of mounting a mechanical fuel system on the engine

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 13, 2012 12:56AM
I would lokk on the construction side of things, these motors are used in a fair bit of non deere stuff, and they should have a standalone computer system available. Some aplication they offer over 600hp.

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 13, 2012 01:49AM
Look for an OEM wiring harness.. Gen Set or pump application.. but you'll still need the control..

It would be cool to see a P pump mounted on it.. might be easiest to mount it at the back of the head where the gear supply pump is mounted.. it would be running off the back of cam, but mostly likely not enough room...
Some might have a mount for an air compressor or a hydraulic pump.. (not on a 9400 setup.)

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 13, 2012 09:49AM
I was wanting to use it in a 3000 rpm tractor and shoot for 1500 hp.

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 13, 2012 11:39AM
First off, I wouldn't swing that monster up to 3K for very long/far (isn't that a 12.5L motor? if so, rated RPM is gonna be 2100 b/c that is a TON of rotating mass). Secondly, if you plan on doing anything farm stock or pro-farm related in the midwest good luck as everyone and their brother will be all over that thing for having a CR type fuel system (not sure if that motor is HUEI, MUEI, or CR...but if anyone knows I would like to as well). Three...if you do build it....post @#$%& loads of pictures because it will be the coolest thing I've seen on here in a long time.

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 13, 2012 03:46PM
Well I am going to try my best to make this happen.

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 13, 2012 05:03PM
Its a EUI.. Electronic Unit Injector... Pump and injector together, running off the cam.. one for each cylinder.
I'd give this place a call... they are the only ones I know that are really doing aftermarket programming..
I agree.. it would be cool ride...

[www.ekotuning.com]

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 18, 2012 03:47PM
I would be interested in this project. We might be able to make software. email in my profile.

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 14, 2012 02:20AM
BBJD Love: For your information, there are plenty of 800 MM engines out there in the pulling world running 4k rpm all day long. Now, factoring in the inferiority differential between MM and JD, I would guess that an 800 JD could possibly run 3k for a reasonable amount of time.

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 14, 2012 02:46AM
(Big) Block...I'm not saying it won't do it, what I am saying is that I wouldn't take stock internals that are under that much of a load with that kind of mass to 3K for an extended number of seasons without doing some work on the bottom end. That is a LOT of stroke too, and that outward swing is what will tear somethin up in a hurry. Isn't the MM a big bore short (albeit nominally short at close to 5.5 in) stroke engine? The 12.5L deere is a 6.5 inch stroke...that's quite a bit of rotating mass that is outside of the centerline of the crank, and therefore more susceptible to wear and tear IMO. That's a lot of the reason that ITPA didn't want the 12K pro farm class running 3K RPM I thought (to keep that 913C.I. BBJD that Littles built and others from blowing things apart). Just my opinion, after seeing so many small blocks (of all brands) come apart at 3K. There's a reason that JD limited the RPM on that monster to 2100. Even the 6030's (531's) were only 2250 I think, and I know a lot of people run them at 3K and up all the time in IN and OH, but it would still be a pull through gritted teath on baited breath for me at all times. I also realize that luggin kills more parts than buzzin does...but that is a big motor that I would be leary of spinning that hard.

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 14, 2012 02:49AM
I also just saw the inferiority differential poriton of your post...I sincerely hope that was sarcasm, aren't they no longer in business? If MM was so great why didn't customer demand take the place of bad business technique or whatever other excuse MM supporters use for their extinction? Who's inferior now?

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 14, 2012 03:21AM
The 12.5 should have no problem at 3000. I have run a 5.5 stroke N14 cummins at 2500 for thousands of hours. I think a 6.5 stroke deere can stand another 500 rpm for short time. Of course while you are at it might as well punch it out and make it a 13.5l! If it was commonrail you could make monsterous power if you could find someobody capable of tuning the deere ecm.

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 14, 2012 03:34AM
2500 is a long way from 3000 when you are talking diesel...add power and it's even further.

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 14, 2012 03:36AM
add an inch of stroke which is quite a bit and the equation becomes different.

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 14, 2012 03:42AM
I've made a lot of assumptions here too. I assumed that the OP would be taking this thing up in the RPM range. Maybe he just wants to build a different machine and use it? Regardless of any of these arguments in theory about whether it will hold up or not, none of us actually have the ability to predict the furture, it will be a SWEET build! DO IT!!!

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 14, 2012 03:59AM
BBJD love: Yes, there was a TEASPOON of sarcasm there. That being said, I will have to say the reason MM is out of business is because they made things TOO good. Consequently, when you build things TOO good, you DON'T sell any repair parts, which is what keeps most businesses in business. Therefore, the logical conclusion IS: All the current manufacturers that are still out there made inferior equipment on purpose knowing that the parts business would keep them afloat. Put yer jaws in FULL AUTO position and FIRE AWAY.

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 14, 2012 04:05AM
That's rich! Perhaps the more logical conclusion is that there were not enough units in use to necessitate "parts kits." That logical conclusion of yours requires a fair amount of "leaps of faith." The most important of those being that MM made failure-less machinery. If that were the case, there would only be MM machinery on every farm as no farmer in their right mind would buy anything else had that been the case. Still, that post made me LOL a fair bit.

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 14, 2012 04:35AM
HAHAHA: Think about this for a second: MM was the first tractor to come out with a cab on it. How long did you JD/International boys go a pop pop popping around the fields in the dust before everyone got wise and followed suit? By the time that happened, a lot of brain damage was inflicted on the JD/International cult. The brain damage became genetic and was passed down from generation to generation. It's NOT your fault. You just didn't know any better. JD and International were WAY BEHIND MM, Oliver, Case, Cockshutt etc "TECHNOLOGY-WISE" for many years. Basically it was NUMBSKULLERY, at best, and they had a great following of NUMB SKULLS because there were plenty of them. It is suspected that the JD/International gene pool is what is responsible for what we now call libs. In all actuality, MM is STILL alive and well cleverly disguised as White/AGCO/etc etc etc. It may take a few centuries for the JD/International gene pool to thin down the crop dust in their brains enough to realize that "WOW; I COULD'VE HAD A MM!!!!!!!!". Once again, put yer jaws on "full auto" and fire away.

P.S. Inferior JD and International bullets will not pierce even the thinnest MM armor plate. You may have to call in the Chinese on this one. Maybe they can develop and build you something that is more effective than what you've got.

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 14, 2012 04:46AM
So far behind them that all of the others had to consolodate just to keep up (disguised as "staying ahead" with the awesome cabs)?

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 14, 2012 05:15AM
HAHAHA: You disappointed me.................I thought for sure your reply would be a FLURRY OF FURY. Is it the crop dust??

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 14, 2012 05:25AM
No reason to use a Bazooka to win a fight when a sling shot is sufficient.

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 14, 2012 05:59AM
arent you guys chattin about two different types of fuels here.the jd is diesel and the big mm is spark ignition,im no mm expert but id think that a big cube mm diesel with 4 mains wouldnt last very long.im assuming that the mm only has 4 mains like the gas crankcases do...

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 15, 2012 06:19AM
KTA
The 12.5 should have no problem at 3000. I have run a 5.5 stroke N14 cummins at 2500 for thousands of hours. I think a 6.5 stroke deere can stand another 500 rpm for short time. Of course while you are at it might as well punch it out and make it a 13.5l! If it was commonrail you could make monsterous power if you could find someobody capable of tuning the deere ecm.

The N14 is 6 inch stroke. Sorry i had to point that out but it does strengthen your point.Smoking

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 16, 2012 02:52AM
Yeah I meant to say a 5.5 x 6 stroke N14. Thanks for catching my mistake!

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 16, 2012 03:35AM
Why does anybody care if your engine is controlled electronically vs. mechanically? You still see p-pumps dominating in the diesel truck classes even though there are a ton of common rail trucks competing. Is the tractor pulling world just that afraid of computers?

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 16, 2012 07:52AM
Most tractor pullers fear technology like the plague, multivalve cylinder heads, electronic engine managment, intercoolers and everything else commonly accepted for diesels in the last 20 years is to much for most tractor classes. Most will claim its because it makes the sport to expensive, but the reality is the sport is expensive regardless and many of these parts could actualy save money by better controlling timing and keeping cylinder temps cooler all while making more power and torque.

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 17, 2012 12:44AM
I think it's a lack of programming. Any one can go get a custom ECM and programmers for their diesel pickup but I think it's a lot harder to find someone with the programming capabilities of a tractor ECM if it is even possible.

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 19, 2012 12:06AM
Sounds like a great project. But if a 2.3 farmstock turbo goes on it it might take some fun away from it?

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 19, 2012 03:09AM
2.3 takes the fun out of everything...but it also takes away some of the danger so it's a trade off I guess. When's the 5488 gonna be on the scene???

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 19, 2012 12:45PM
When the fatbottom ih gets back from jenny craig. lol

Re: 12.5 liter deere June 19, 2012 04:16PM
A 2.3 charger will fit inside the charger I want on there!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,642, Posts: 229,708, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520