RPM classes January 24, 2009 04:40AM
I know some of you guy run with rpms limits how is it monitored and how accurate is it we are throwing the idea around and would like some feed back I know some of you will think this is stupid but i beleve if you have rules you need to try and inforce them thanksSmiling

Re: RPM classes January 24, 2009 06:28AM
you get a hand held digetal tack and as soon as the tractor pulls off the track you check it.

Re: RPM classes January 24, 2009 07:15AM
I was thinking more of like going down the track

Re: RPM classes January 24, 2009 07:18AM
they got a sensor that plugs to sled and tells u the highest rpm the tractor had during the run. mines on the front dampner. good setup

Re: RPM classes January 24, 2009 07:34AM
We use the rpm box from Fair Valley Performance that the tractors plug into. The box has a magnet that keeps the box mounted to the sled, all you need is a small power source. Sensor mounts close to the balancer and one magnet gets glued on the balancer. Monitors the RPM during the run. Very good setup and works well.

Re: RPM classes January 25, 2009 10:25PM
I believe the latest version records the entire run which can be reviewed if there are any questions. I highly recommed this over the simple 'red light only' boxes. Those have started as many arguments as they ended.

Re: RPM classes January 26, 2009 01:26AM
Our association checks RPM's w/ a digital handheld tach, everyone has a piece of reflective tape on the balancer, you are RPM checked before the start of the season, your RPM's are set, and your high idle adjusting screw on your pump is sealed. If someone's RPM's are challenged, out comes the tach after their pull, and we look to see if the seal on the idle screw is broken. If the RPM's are high, and the seal has been tampered with, they are DQ'd.

Re: RPM classes January 26, 2009 03:08PM
That is not accurate too many pumps out there that have been tampered with that will hold correct RPM's with no Load. Put them under a load and then they shoot up by 1,000 RPM or more. Best way is the Data Logger on the Sled to record during the pass.

Eric Prewitt
The Prewitt Pulling Team
Public Relations for
The Pulling Radio Network

Re: RPM classes January 27, 2009 05:48AM
That is one of the arguments I was referring to. I've often heard it, but honestly question it.

Eric, have you personally seen this with your own eyes on either a tach or datalogger? I'm not talking about a spike after dumping the clutch or shifting the ta, but actual significantly more RPM's all the way down the track till the pan drops. A govenor is a mechanical device that has no idea how much load is on the engine, only if the centrifugal force is higher or lower than the spring force.

Re: RPM classes January 27, 2009 05:52AM
I can't hardly see how a governor, a mechanical device, could hold the RPM's to, say 3000 RPM's at no load, then scream wild up to 4000 RPM's under full load. For that matter, my own ears would tell me if an engine went from 3000 RPM's on test day w/ no load, then screamed at 4000 RPM's down the track. Any bystandard in the crowd could detect a 1000 RPM difference just by listening.

Re: RPM classes January 27, 2009 06:43AM
I have no Proof of this just some of the Pulls I have watched and like you all said, " I can tell the difference by ear" But the Datalogger on the sled will stop all of this from happening.

Eric Prewitt
The Prewitt Pulling Team
Public Relations for
The Pulling Radio Network

Re: RPM classes January 27, 2009 07:17AM
I’ve got to agree with Eric on this, a Datalogger is pretty cheap insurance that everyone is playing on a level playing field. I don’t think they are expensive either. I’d go to the Builders Directory / Phonebook section of the links page and give “Fair Valley Performance” a call, they are the distributors of the Datalog Peak Performance system. I’m pretty sure the price is very reasonable for just about any club. I think you’ll save a ton of headaches and tech time for the small price of what you spend on the Datalog system.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: RPM classes January 27, 2009 07:42AM
put on dyno and the truth will show or call a pump guy and explain what your looking for he fill you in with detail simple as that.

Re: RPM classes January 27, 2009 08:48AM
I know around here in our mod farm class they were having alot of trouble with the sled mounted box being unreliable. I believe I heard there was issues with the wiring. They have decided for this year to go with a Tack with a recall and they are going to check them at the end of the track after the run. I don't know alot about this issue but this is what I have heard.

Winking

Re: RPM classes January 27, 2009 07:38AM
thats the biggest cheat goning on with stock class is the new govner in the pumps doesn't dump fuel until under load and thats the fact.

Re: RPM classes January 27, 2009 08:59AM
Dynos are only as honest as the operator. Been to several pulls where the local puller has his buddy/mechanic running the dyno and I think we all know how this ends. As far as controlling rpm's, the datalogger system works well. Especially the newer system that will play back the full run. I know that sometimes there will be a spike at the begining which doesn't really do much. Just wanna make sure tractors aren't going over while going down the track. Been around and involved with pulling for over 20 years and I have seen a lot of tricks. Just my 2-cents worth.

Re: RPM classes January 27, 2009 09:32AM
We have used the data logger for afew years, works well one rule is wire has no splices and is one solid wire from sensor to plug in, no resistors that way

Re: RPM classes January 27, 2009 01:10PM
The nice thing about a box on the sled is that you can check the rpms from behind the tractor before the pull. I have stood beside tractors checking with a hand held tach, its not fun having the fan blowing dirt & air in your face, let alone thinking about the fan spinning that close to you.

Re: RPM classes January 27, 2009 11:48PM
the data log is the key but explain the spike to see or hearit close dyno if pto clutch will hold or eletric dyno 20 years you already know the cheat Im only 5 years and already know that

Re: RPM classes January 28, 2009 05:35AM
WIZ,
Please educate me on how these new govenors work. I need to clarify that I'm talking about mechanical injection pumps, not ecm controlled unit injectors or even a mechanical pump with drive by wire throttle. I know that anything can be done with an ecm.

The engine requires less fuel at no load, so your comment about not dumping fuel until under load doesn't make sense to me.

Govenors I'm familar with control the rack (inline pump) & thus the barrels. If the RPM's drop the rack opens up the barrels to allow more fuel so the RPM's rise. That's where the spike comes in if you have a light spring on the govenor it can easily overshoot before it comes back down to the set RPM's. If it's really light it might then undershoot & get you into a surge.

Re: RPM classes January 28, 2009 11:38PM
it sounds like your on the right path

Re: RPM classes January 28, 2009 04:07PM
I pull a 3200rpm class with 2 IH tractors. There has NEVER been anyone in tech check engine rpm, it is up to us to be honest??

Re: RPM classes January 28, 2009 11:40PM
how many people can you get to be honest?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,737, Posts: 229,873, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,986.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM