John deere engine question June 19, 2012 12:13AM
Is a jd 8.1 liter engine the factory replacement for a 4020? Not jd man ,but i dont see how any plumbing would bolt up. Same deck height?

Re: John deere engine question June 19, 2012 10:22AM
If I'm not mistaking you have to notch the frame for the oil cooler reroute the coolant hoses use an electronics tach and I think you have to use the dampner off the 404 if your going to use the hydrolic pump. I think that's it. I know it will work though.

Re: John deere engine question June 19, 2012 12:41PM
I would think the flywheel wouldnt bolt right up. Where all the 8.1 engines electronic?

Re: John deere engine question June 19, 2012 01:25PM
Sounds like you are trying to get someone kicked out. The 8.1 will bolt right up and some had mechanical pumps. What is the issue, if your looking for something specific ask.

Re: John deere engine question June 19, 2012 02:13PM
whatch what you say i had jd4430 for sale ih guy in my class brought check book over to buy got info got me kicked out then won

Re: John deere engine question June 19, 2012 02:24PM
It is ok for IH guys in my area to run a DT466 out of a truck and what ever cubes they see fit to win, but if someone runs a ford with a 474, JD with an 8.1, Case with a 504, White or Oliver with a Cummins it is a big deal. I wish all pullers could get along but it seems if IH isn't on top than someone is cheating. Just so all IH pullers understand most of your tractors run good other brands can also run if put together right.

Re: John deere engine question June 19, 2012 03:46PM
The only answer i want to know is if a 8.1 or 7.6 is really what john deere will sell you. I couldnt care less what the cubic inch rules are as long as they are the same for everyone.

Re: John deere engine question June 19, 2012 03:52PM
No it is not the replacement block for that tractor. The replacement block is a 466 or 7.6L but not the new PowerTech engine

Re: John deere engine question June 19, 2012 04:35PM
Thankyou kickin dirt So then do you have to buy a fuel system then too?

Re: John deere engine question June 20, 2012 12:50AM
are you seriously trying to tell me and everyone else that if you go to a Deere dealer that they will REFUSE to sell you an 8.1 for your 4020? That is stupid! That engine will bolt up perfectly to any JD small block housing and IS a replacement engine for ANY John Deere small block tractor. IHmx270 is obviously an IH crybaby that got beat by a John Deere and is trying to get that tractor DQed because he can t beat him. Typical IH whiny crybaby to be sure!

Re: John deere engine question June 20, 2012 02:24AM
I have in my shop right now a 4010 john deere with a 8.1L in it bolted right up, got a clutch from kennies, replaced motorpal with P pump and had to re route oil filter

Re: John deere engine question June 20, 2012 02:49AM
IHMX270 is hardly a crybaby...I assure you he's winning and no deere is even close (as much as I want one to be LOL)!

Re: John deere engine question June 20, 2012 03:22AM
Hardly
IHMX270 is hardly a crybaby...I assure you he's winning and no deere is even close (as much as I want one to be LOL)!
this is very true!

Re: John deere engine question June 20, 2012 03:26AM
I hardly think that having to notch/refab framerails to make it fit makes it even close to being considered a "factory replacement".

Re: John deere engine question June 20, 2012 04:06AM
Hey I am not bashing john deere . I love watching them go down the track ,as well as the orange ones and blue ones. I have a lot of green on my farm. I repaired a 4020 with a bad crank a few years ago and i had access to a 466 crank. The flywheel would not bolt up .so it had to be machined to work. I find it unusual that a "factory" replacement wont bolt up to the flywheel. Or is there some mounting kit?????????

Re: John deere engine question June 20, 2012 07:15AM
I bet every word of that is a lie. You IH guys are all a like. You can use all kinds of aftermarket crap from Hyper to truck parts and believe it`s legal but if another color uses factory parts that just has to be against the rules somehow. That is precisely why some people HATE the sight of anything IH. Pulling would flourish without any of the IH cheaters,whiners or crybabies and the ugly junk they run. DO NOT try to tell me that pulling needs IH to survive. That is a load of backwards BS! IH and the whiners on them need pulling to survive-not the other way around. For those of you that don`t know-IH WENT BROKE AND WAS SOLD IN 1984!

Re: John deere engine question June 20, 2012 07:24AM
And just for the record the LAST IH POS came off the factory assembly line May 14,1985. It was a 5488 FWA. You could look it up.

Re: John deere engine question June 20, 2012 08:08AM
This has gotten out of hand but I do think it is bs that an IH guy would try to get an ag SBJD engine kicked out, just shows they dont want any competition. I dont know many IH pulling that dont run a truck engine. You run the best IH has why can't he run the best Deere has?

Re: John deere engine question June 20, 2012 08:41AM
Im just glad someone is picking on someone other than me for a change.

Re: John deere engine question June 20, 2012 09:00AM
Wow someone asks a question.... doesnt matter what color every shade has rotten ones. Around my area JD boys piss n moan the most but whatever. every area is different yet the same.

Re: John deere engine question June 20, 2012 09:25AM
You think IH guys have a problem??? Buy a 6030 and stuff a 619 in it WOW...people come out of the woodwork to pitch a fit over it...WE STILL FARM WITH IT...doesn't matter.

Also, I know IHMX270 (pulled with/around him for YEARS); he's just posed a question about putting a motor in a tractor...He's the last person who would try and get ANYONE kicked out, probably just hit up hyper or st. joe and beat them at their own game LOL.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a DYED IN THE WHOOL JD MAN!

Re: John deere engine question June 20, 2012 09:29AM
Hell, ask him what he's got and he'll even tell ya...so before you go throwing a fit behind the safety of your keyboard I'd get to know these guys. Sure, all of us give each other hell about bein a cheater and whatever, some may even mean it, but we are all in love with the same woman here TRACTOR PULLIN...and fortunately for us she's a good mistress.

Re: John deere engine question November 19, 2014 02:10PM
Hyper recast BS heads
If u pull green blue orange with a recast oh no you cant bxll shht wtf

Re: John deere engine question September 19, 2017 12:16AM
And also on same note. Our group we can't slip a different series motor in a different frame. For ih if that tractor came out with 407 block u have to run the 407 block. We can't put 466 in it.

Re: John deere engine question November 18, 2014 09:46PM
So, I Dont pull and probably never will, but want cheap HP. I found ,I can buy an 8.1 cheaper than a 7.6L. About the same $ as a regular 466ci. If I put an 8.1 in my 4010 , will I have heat issues trying to farm with it? (Mowing and roundbaling), possibly plowing.

Re: John deere engine question November 19, 2014 02:06PM
Right on

Re: John deere engine question November 19, 2014 02:37PM
Some of you young guys that think you know everything may not know that in 1960 International Harvester loaned Deere and company a great big pile of money so they could retool and build the new generation tractors. he reason was they needed to take possible antitrust preasure off the company. Next time you see a IH guy thank them for saving the company you love

Re: John deere engine question November 19, 2014 05:44PM
Where can I find that info cuz I'm 54 yrs old and never heard that one before. I must get out from under this rock.

Re: John deere engine question November 20, 2014 12:45AM
Sounds like you've been beaten too many times by a red tractor! lol

Re: John deere engine question November 20, 2014 12:49AM
I have been told somthing about that in the past. I have also been told the first 4010 engines were built with a Mack truck engine and some actually have Mack part numbers and logos on them. Anyone know if that is true?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2014 12:50AM by Frantic crew.

Re: John deere engine question November 22, 2014 02:01AM
Not true. Got a neighbor with a 4010 that is within the first hundred tractors and it had Deere numbers and JDFW markings. Back in those days Waterloo was a premier casting facility and they did pretty much everything in house. I also doubt IH loaned Deere any money in 1960, for one thing that would have been too late as the tractors were already built by then, besides the New generation were kept a huge secret so they wouldn't have wanted to put up any red flags they were up to anything as for a product change and in 1958 Deere had already surpassed IH in sales and was doing very well on their own.

Re: John deere engine question November 22, 2014 02:19AM
Deere still has not sold more tractors than IH did and they went out in 1984

Re: John deere engine question November 22, 2014 02:33AM
Hey Frantic Crew....doesn't really matter if you sold a billion tractors, when you go broke, get bought by a competitor, and then amalgamate with another group of brands years later, that small feat is lost. Means jack squat now, that's why it is called history.

Deere on the other continues to be a stand alone company, diversified and profitable, and that can't be argued.

Re: John deere engine question November 22, 2014 02:21AM
I've seen photos of the of the first design of 3010s & 4010s. They had V4 & V6 engines in them. I sure am glad that didn't go into production!

Re: John deere engine question November 22, 2014 02:47AM
if it wasn't for trucks,you wouldn't see a red tractor on the track. highly doubtful john deere ever borrowed money from ih. John Deere always made there own engines.

Re: John deere engine question November 23, 2014 02:57AM
Not totally true. There have been, and still are, some Cummins engines being used in the 4 wheel drives.

Re: John deere engine question June 20, 2012 12:00PM
For those of you that don`t know-IH WENT BROKE AND WAS SOLD IN 1984![/quote]

Then again in 1999 they went broke and were bought by CNH Global

Re: John deere engine question June 21, 2012 01:39AM
Not sure what IH's going out of business has to do with this discussion, but if that's somehow a relevant fact, let's not forget about the government bailout that good 'ole johnny putt putt got around the same time period. I like 'em all, green just as well as red, but I just can't get my head around the green guys crying their eyes out about the red ones running a 466 when a green 466 can be made to run just as well. If you need a green 8.1 to run with a red 466, maybe you should consider a different hobby. If your 8.1 powered 4020 is ok, then you should like an 8.3 Cummins powered 656 just as well. On second thought, no, you probably wouldn't.

Re: John deere engine question June 21, 2012 02:52AM
The real deal is that all of the manufacturers fought the cubic inch war on the mechanical pump side of the business (and on the CR types too) and WE were the winners. There will always be someone with something bigger/badder in their stable...always. Pullin is a function of [knowledge + $$$ = POWER] that's it...don't like it? spend more time or money.

Re: John deere engine question June 21, 2012 11:58AM
Wow This is fun A real pissin contest!!!!!!Hot

Re: John deere engine question June 22, 2012 04:41AM
Agreed

Re: John deere engine question November 19, 2014 04:33AM
I like to go beat up on the big new shiny high horse powered fancy stuff with my no paint little junk yard tractors,makes friends fast that way,they want to kick butt,but just give a beer and all is good !!!!!!!!!!

Re: John deere engine question September 18, 2017 02:03PM
Would u sell 4010 with the 8.1

Re: John deere engine question September 19, 2017 12:10AM
This is a real pissing match. But my opinion and my thoughts which I'm sure is completely wrong sense now days if I don't agree with someone I'm just a cry baby dumb a$#. But anyway if the motor was sold as a factory replacement u should be able to run it. By that I mean back in 1985 or what ever year u want to use. U blew up ur tractor in the field. If the dealer would put that motor in the tractor then u should be able to run it. Meaning for a 66 series ih instead of a 436 or 414 u got a 466. Which international did, the 466 was a factory replacement. U as the owner had the option of going 466 or staying with ur 414 or 436. Cuz we had that option on our 1066. My grandfather chose to stay 414 cuz it was a bit cheaper. now on the deere side it's the same way I'm assuming u had option of the 619 or staying 531. The group I pull in ih is limited to 466, Deere is 619 if it's a big block 466 if it's a small block tractor. Case is 504, ac is 426. We have to run factory appearing pumps and no recast parts. And run factory rpms. And 3 inch charger. Which I don't see a problem with any of those. I look at it this way bbd has cubes and p pump,sbd has an a pump and quad range so they can shift. Or if u could get a power shift to hold u have that advantage. ( Idk if one will hold don't have anyone whose tried it around us) ih has rpms and a torque. Case has bigger cubes and an a pump. In my eyes it half a#$ evens the playing field that way. All of our motors get pumped to check cubes and u get 2 oil pan bolts drilled and a cable and lead seal put in them. So u have to cut the seal to drop ur pan and have to be re checked before u can pull. And every time we hook to the sled we get plugged into rpm box

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,641, Posts: 229,707, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520