P-pump question June 26, 2012 05:38AM
Have a self contained oil p-pump wondering what weight oil to run in it ?An also what psi should the supply pump run to feed the pump???
Thanks

Re: P-pump question June 26, 2012 07:51AM
30# non detergent, or whatever you use in your pickup.

Re: P-pump question June 26, 2012 11:22AM
Columbus told me 50 weight oil in the pump, maybe even add Lucas or other heavy weight oil treatment in hot weather. Also I think they said 40 psi supply pressure minimum.

Re: P-pump question June 26, 2012 11:29AM
That's exactly what I run in my pump.50# with my fass system set at 40lbs

Re: P-pump question June 26, 2012 12:19PM
Ok 50 weight with a little lucas ok got it.Thanks would higher than 40 psi hurt anything I have not pulled it yet was wondering if I set it at idle how much will it drop under full load as the pump calls for more fuel just trying to get in the ball park for intinal set up should i set it at 50 psi so when under way it drops down to 40 psi I don't know or will it maintain an if so what would be to high of a setting.O also how much does the pump hold for oil .Thanks again

Re: P-pump question June 26, 2012 12:30PM
I set mechanical supply pumps to 75psi @ 2000 rpm. Electric to 75psi @ idle. I use a cartridge relief valve from Sun Hydraulics.

Re: P-pump question June 26, 2012 01:03PM
My pump holds bout 3/4 of a court. And my fass system will maintain 40 all the way down the track from idle to wide open.

Re: P-pump question June 26, 2012 01:39PM
Ok i have a mechanical supply pump so I should set it at 75 psi at 2000 rpm, O by the way the p- pump is governed at 4000 rpm So what your saying is at 4000 rpm the supply pump will be at least at 40 psi if set at 75 psi at 2000 rpm ok thanks guys for the help just dont want to screw up anything an also i am running a fuel pressure gauage

Re: P-pump question June 26, 2012 02:14PM
Remember the mechanical pump will spin faster as the engine spins faster, providing more flow and probably more pressure. Ours has a spring loaded check ball pressure regulator that opens about 40 psi, but when you wind the engine up the pressure will rise to about 60.

Re: P-pump question June 26, 2012 02:57PM
Set it at 40 psi at an idle. The more rpms you turn the higher the pressure will go. If you set it to high, it can cause problems. You should be able to maintain 40-60 psi from idle to wide open if you set it at 40 psi @ idle.

Re: P-pump question June 26, 2012 09:18PM
I'm not saying who's right or wrong but with my experiences and data aquisition to back it up on two different 3000 rpm tractors with two different mechanical supply pumps with a cartridge relief valve (not a sprayer regulator) running 750-800cc's of fuel if pressure is set at 75psi @ 2000 rpm the most I see on launch at 3000 rpm is 75psi. During the run when lugged down to 2000 rpm the pressure is anywhere from 50-60psi and at the end of the run at idle it is showing 33-38psi. Keep in mind that when you are setting pressure at 2000 rpm to 75psi that there is no "demand" for fuel, however when you are "in the governor" at the same 2000 rpm the pressure is in the 50-60psi range because you are burning fuel and blowin smoke. So with the proper relief valve, setting it to 40psi at idle it may very well be in the 60psi range during a run and be ok. Also if you are running a data aquisition system or some type of memory gauge you should have some kind of fluid dampening device sometimes referred to as a "pressure snubber", here is what they look like [www.datalogpp.com] they will help take the "pulse" out of whatever you are trying to gauge. Good luck

Re: P-pump question June 27, 2012 12:11AM
Several things come into play when trying to supply enough fuel to the P-pump. Supply line size, return line size, fuel pump size, type of pressure regulator, and the amount of fuel you burn--demand. Having a return line that is to small will cause a high reading at RPM when the P-pump is not using the fuel. Having a supply line that is to small will aerate the fuel and drop the pressure. A poorly designed pressure relief valve will cause rapid, uncontrolled pressure spikes/drops. It is hard to satisfy all conditions--you need a big enough supply line and supply pump that will supply enough volume to keep the pressure above 40 PSI at your lowest RPM with full throttle, and a pressure relief and return line that will control the pressure at high RPM (on the starting line) no demand for fuel, the condition you have before you start letting the clutch out. Setting a pressure relief at 75 PSI so "you will have 40 - 50 PSI at full throttle" is crazy. Size everything correctly, and set the pressure relief to the pressure you want.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,766, Posts: 229,932, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,025.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM