Sportsmanship in pulling June 27, 2012 11:02AM
I am wondering what others out there see with sportsmanship in pulling, The reason I ask is the local group I pull with it seems as of late fellow pullers are not getting along it's been shouting matches, accussing others of cheating it is almost uncomfortable going to pulls seems to be alot of tension in the air. I have been pulling for 15 years it just seems to be getting worse.

Re: Sportsmanship in pulling June 27, 2012 01:06PM
It seems to me that the more exspesive a class, the less fighting. I think because once you have a lot of money, it is truley an outlet and hobby. The smaller classes have a true working man that is propably spending and trying his all. Just what i've seen, fire away.

Re: Sportsmanship in pulling June 27, 2012 01:34PM
I agree with Money, in our area the rules are so vague on the "open classes" . Open to me means... Run watchya brung, and hope like hell u brung enough.. But thats where the bad sportsmanship starts. U got "show n shine" guys that just want to "look good". They get upset with the guys that maybe running open mph and rpm, that one have a tractor that is close to going sanctioned or two has a nice good running tractor that cant make it to all the sanctioned pulls. So this is where guys start whining and crying bc they cant keep up with the run watchya brung tractors.. They start nit picking at the tractor, and before you know it, theres a rule that gets thrown in bfore the nights over and u got 5-6 upset pullers screaming and yelling. . Im just saying that if cant run with big dogs stay at home and keep your mouth shut or put her in the shed and up your game... Just saying

Re: Sportsmanship in pulling June 27, 2012 02:31PM
pulling ain't for the faint of heart. some people should collect stamps or play golf. maybe a nice game of billiards.

Re: Sportsmanship in pulling June 27, 2012 04:53PM
upperdeck
pulling ain't for the faint of heart. some people should collect stamps or play golf. maybe a nice game of billiards.

Very true, pulling takes a lot of time, effort and money. Often emotions are right at the surface and things get said that shouldnt have been brought up... Maybe lawn darts would be a good option??

Re: Sportsmanship in pulling June 27, 2012 11:02PM
Doubt it, somebody's Dart would be to sharp. LOL

Re: Sportsmanship in pulling June 28, 2012 01:12AM
Seen on a T-shirt at a random stock car race years ago - "Load up, before ya get yer feelings hurt!"

Re: Sportsmanship in pulling June 28, 2012 01:14AM
Bad Medicine
Doubt it, somebody's Dart would be to sharp. LOL
You got that right, I imagine if you looked at the 2nd grade report card from some of those guys it would say.. "Dosent play nice with others" Some habits are hard to break..

Re: Sportsmanship in pulling June 28, 2012 02:35AM
Seems like whoever takes last place everyone likes, whoever takes first place nobody likes. Sad but true.

Re: Sportsmanship in pulling June 28, 2012 04:39AM
Been involved with pulling, one way or another, since 1966. Certain things never seem to change.

Re: Sportsmanship in pulling June 28, 2012 05:33AM
Around here it would just help if pull followed close to the same rules. Its sad but you almost have to call aheadgetting sad.

Re: Sportsmanship in pulling June 28, 2012 06:53AM
Here an idea if you get beat and you don't like it home and put more skin in it. The guys who are winning invest alot of time and effort. It very childish to wish bad on someone or someone's equipment. If you do wish ill on a fellow competitor maybe next time you are in church you should listen to your pastor and learn how to turn the other cheek.

Re: Sportsmanship in pulling June 28, 2012 10:58PM
I think this qualifies under the sportsmanship rule,while my family was pulling at a pull in New York state, someone or some people stole a suitcase weight,2 coolers, a bunch of tools, and a floor jack,goes against everything we've always stood for: like helping your fellow pullers.

Re: Sportsmanship in pulling June 29, 2012 03:38AM
Sportsmanship is alive and well. Jody Ross made a mess of his turbo plumbing in Hutchinson. At that point in time Esdon and Jody were tied for first in points. The tractor went directly to Esdons shop and Joel made the repairs. The ressurected redneck ran well in Tomah.

Re: Sportsmanship in pulling July 01, 2012 01:16AM
That backs up my previous post, and thats what is so appealing about the bigger classes and the ntpa. Guys that like to drink beer, work on tractors, and have a good time!

Re: Sportsmanship in pulling July 01, 2012 01:39AM
The local Fair/brush pulling is where I see controversy at almost every pull. It either involves no rules or too many rules. We still have all one color groups and if your not in that group you're out. I have just learned to pick the most fun and well run pulls to go to. Pulling is my time away from problems and If I can't have an enjoyable time then I'll stay home. I do wish I had the money to build and pull in an organized group. That is definitely the best way to go. Rules are the same and you know it before you go.

Re: Sportsmanship in pulling July 01, 2012 03:56AM
jd43
The local Fair/brush pulling is where I see controversy at almost every pull. It either involves no rules or too many rules. We still have all one color groups and if your not in that group you're out. I have just learned to pick the most fun and well run pulls to go to. Pulling is my time away from problems and If I can't have an enjoyable time then I'll stay home. I do wish I had the money to build and pull in an organized group. That is definitely the best way to go. Rules are the same and you know it before you go.

An event that I went to in early June had a little controversy surrounding the unsanctioned Farm Stock class--some competitors having a little more power under the hood. Lack of rules shouldn't be an issue in that class... And I'm pretty sure a Ford 8000 didn't come with a turbo.

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Sportsmanship in pulling July 01, 2012 04:07PM
I am tired of going to my local town pull and being told I can't pull in a stock class because the guy running it says he has seen my tractor pull at other pulls(where no rules were present, no rpm limit) and doesn't "think" it is stock. Also because it has a nice paint job. I have stock tractors as well as built up ones. I am not in this to beat up on my neighbor, I am here to hook to a sled. What I absolutely cant stand is when he says "well, we'll see how you do", and lets other tractors pull in stock when I know for a fact they aren't. I'll open up my inspection cover for anyone who wants to look or measure, but he won't give me the 1 minute's time to prove myself because then he will truely be the a$$.

Re: Sportsmanship in pulling July 01, 2012 04:32PM
If you have stock tractors as well as built up ones, then you should be able to get yourself an attorney to prove your point. then if your tractor is STOCK, the "guy in charge" will REALLY be a mule!!!!!

Re: Sportsmanship in pulling July 01, 2012 04:53PM
It's only a "game". I just don't like being told my stuff isn't stock when it is and I could prove it very quickly. Some others don't have stock because they have some old engines from my other built up tractors...and I'm not gonna start pointing fingers at others...even though they should know better than to be in a stock class-that's on their conscience, not mine. I just don't like to be called a liar if you will-just want to prove I have what I say it is. I just won't go and they wont get my 100.00 bucks or more for all the tractors I bring to their event.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,770, Posts: 229,937, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009