N/A mini rod question July 04, 2012 12:42PM
Looking at building a new naturaly aspirated big wheel mini rod with a 350 chevy motor. I had one and sold it the frame was built way to heavy so i wanted to start over. It had a dana 60 rear in it witch from what i can tell most guys use. I was wondering if its possible to make a Ford 9" work because one of my friends has one that i can get realy reasonable. Or will the cost of building the 9" out wiegh that of the dana 60. I know the drag racers like the 9" just wondering why the mini guys like the 60. Whats my best way to go. trying to line up parts so i can start construction this winter. thanks for the input.

Re: N/A mini rod question July 04, 2012 04:59PM
I ran a 9" in a mini with a twin turbo big block and didnt have any problems. It had moser axles in it, and I used it because it was lighter than a dana 60.

Re: N/A mini rod question July 05, 2012 04:29AM
Nine inch Ford rearends were given up on way back in the 90's. Then came the Dana 60, replaced by the 60 with 70 internals. Now a lot of minis, even NA ones, are using the 106. However, with a small block and Firestones you should get a lot of use out of a well built 60. Just use the 4-spider, needled setup and you will never look back. We are having real good luck with a Dana 80 as is Denny Horst and Tim Cutshall in big blower motors. JW

Re: N/A mini rod question July 06, 2012 09:42AM
JW. Are you using the 80 housing or just 80 parts in another housing? I am sure that the 80 r&p etc will take the power but that 80 housing just seems so heavy.

Re: N/A mini rod question July 09, 2012 07:53AM
Full Dana 80 housing. It does take some work on the Bridgeport and more than a few grinding discs. The heaviest part was the reducer to get the bigger tubes on the housing to accept the 3" axle tubes (had to start with a 5" X 5" X 5" steel block--wouldn't do it that way again). The diff is basically the same (we use Nohrwald in one and Cutshall in the other). The next one I build will have axle tubes like the old Henry's. A significant weight savings is had with the amount of lube required versus the 106. When we built ours, it actually weighted 4 pounds less than a TRB at the time in full pull trim. Since then, I think guys like Advanced Chassis have been able to shave a bit of weight from the 106 housing. I just like to be different. But, as I originally posted to the question asker, the 9" Ford will not hold up in today's minis--even the modular/nodular units made by Strange, Moser, etc. But, hey you can spend the money and try to prove us wrong!! JW

Re: N/A mini rod question July 09, 2012 08:55AM
Thanks JW. It just seems like it would be too heavy. Are you running 1800 or 1900 or?

Re: N/A mini rod question July 05, 2012 11:39AM
I definately like lighter. Is that all you changed was the axles? gears and carrier was a stock 9"
thanks.

Re: N/A mini rod question July 06, 2012 02:21AM
Good Luck with a 9". We had some of the best parts you can get in ours, and still didn't work out. The 9" doesn't like the side load you can get pulling. If you always go straight and never tap the brakes hard, you will be just fine. Get on a good clay tack with bite, pray it doesn't come apart. They really aren't that much lighter than the Dana. If you are that close on weight, you need to find other ways to lighten everything up. The money you will spend getting the 9" to work will buy you a billet diff for the Dana with a great set of axles, and it will never come apart. Build the Dana and have fun. Just my experienced opinion.

Re: N/A mini rod question July 06, 2012 01:41PM
I used a nodular carrier which are tough to find now, needled the diff and put a set of moser axles in it. Never had a problem.
With a n/a small block they will hold up just fine. Yes if you are going to run a large blower motor you will need the big parts.

Re: N/A mini rod question July 06, 2012 02:42PM
Go with mini guys info!! Stay away from 9" fords at all cost, because it will cost you a ton in the end!!!!!
I had one hooked to a 550hp N/A and tore it up!!! Had the nod unit and all the "good" stuff. did not matter!!!
Go Dana with what you are doing and all will be good.

Re: N/A mini rod question July 07, 2012 02:19AM
Were you running 31" tires, or the 18.4 tires? Like I said, if you have a good small block and a power track, the 9" will NOT hold up. That is why you just don't see them running anymore. If you pull on loose dry tracks, then you will probably be OK. Why take the chance?

Re: N/A mini rod question July 07, 2012 01:39PM
Ran 18.4 Firestones

Re: N/A mini rod question July 07, 2012 03:34PM
thanks for all the input think i will go back to the dana.

Re: N/A mini rod question July 08, 2012 06:41AM
You will be happier in the long run. Good Luck, and have some fun.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,957, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,040.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009