pulling machine shop prices July 11, 2012 06:49AM
was just reading the post below about financing a pulling tractor so I did a little figuring on a repair a small one at one of the midwest pulling machine shops a small welding job was over 900.00 for 15 minutes work paying over $60.00 dollars a minute.

Re: pulling machine shop prices, some of the story July 11, 2012 12:05PM
So, you were right there as the process was done, in 15 minutes?
So it was all cleaned and prepped, weld process set up, consumables gotten ready, welded and out the door still hot from welding in 15 minutes?
Excees me while I play referee and throw my bullshit flag on that one.
I realize it is your story, and you may tell it any way you want, but I can also tell you have no clue what you are talking about.
Enlighten us, what was the project? Material, size, welding process, condition of the part before, and the condition after? Did it take some pre heating? How about post heating? special filler rod, or welding gas? Could it be kicked out the shop "as welded" or did it take some grinding/sanding/polishing?

Re: pulling machine shop prices, some of the story July 11, 2012 02:18PM
15 minutes will cost you $30 from me. When you figure in overhead, I will make maybe $10. And that would be a very simple project to get done in 15 min. For the most part, I agree with P.H. jr.

Re: pulling machine shop prices, some of the story July 11, 2012 02:24PM
In my experiences, ,, if you cant work on it yourself you dont need to be in pulling! !! If you can pay somone to do it, ,, u really need mental help

Re: pulling machine shop prices, some of the story July 11, 2012 02:29PM
start to finish a small area on a engine part no new parts required just welding,prep time,materials,finish work out the door.

Re: pulling machine shop prices, some of the story July 11, 2012 11:22PM
Maybe they quoted the job high and it wasn't as much work as anticipated and stuck with the quote.

Re: pulling machine shop prices, some of the story July 11, 2012 11:31PM
Now, the million dollar question, was this a "I need this fixed ASAP" repair? If so, the shop stopped what they were doing and fixed your part ahead of all of the other work they have lined up to do.

Re: pulling machine shop prices, some of the story July 12, 2012 01:22AM
For $900, you could have bought a welder and done it yourself! If you can't do it yourself, either get used to taking it in the wallet or find another hobby.

Re: pulling machine shop prices, some of the story July 12, 2012 03:04AM
Did the repair save or fix a high dollar part? if it kept you going and saved you several dollars more was it justified.
Did he collect because he did several other favors and now its time to pay up?
Or was it a very risky repair and fiqured it would be your last run of the year?

It does sound high. for what you explained.

Re: pulling machine shop prices, some of the story July 12, 2012 08:36AM
Sounds like a BS story.The ONLY thing I can think of that would cost close to that was if the crank tossed its mallory metal out the pan and the shop had to replace it.What part exactly was repaired??

Re: pulling machine shop prices July 12, 2012 12:58PM
I have been pulling in one form or another for near 40 years. I do all of my own mechanical work in my own repair shop. My pulling tractors are my buisness showcase and a bit of a advertising rightoff for the shop. My shop is a one man operation, I mainly do metal fab and stock farm tractor rapairs. I LOVE working of customers pulling tractors, I HATE losing money on some of the jobs I have done. Seems there are many pullers that dont understand the concept of ONE OFF work. That is often what I do will not be done exactly the same way EVER again. CUSTOM WORK is EXPENSIVE!!, Time consuming and often not rewarded well enough.

Re: pulling machine shop prices July 12, 2012 02:25PM
Whats your point?What does this that have to do with welding something in an engine and charging an obscene amount of money?

Re: pulling machine shop prices July 12, 2012 02:57PM
tommy j.
Whats your point?What does this that have to do with welding something in an engine and charging an obscene amount of money?

The point is that I and the others on this site do not know the story behind the weld job. If it is indeed just an in and out spot weld,the price seems excessive. If there was ANY prep, or special equipment involved the picture changes totally. Were you there the entire time to watch and time the job??, Did he have to drop another job to do yours?? If this pricing is typical of how he does buisness than I would find another shop to take my work to.. I sure would like to hear the welders side of the story..

Re: pulling machine shop prices July 12, 2012 04:19PM
Did you leave a good Tip

Re: pulling machine shop prices July 13, 2012 02:19AM
As was stated earlier,the story is bs and thats why the original poster hasn't been back.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,756, Posts: 229,910, Members: 3,335.
This forum: Topics: 37,092, Posts: 226,010.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM