schwitzer 3LM 466 on stock 1066?? July 13, 2012 11:39AM
I have a turbo question for you guys, was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have a 1974 IH 1066 that I pull in usually a 12,000 to 13,000 pound stock class. It has the 414 motor, stock pump, stock injectors, and stock T04 turbo on it at this time. The classes i pull in most of the time are actually dyno classes set to 130 horse power. Some other pulls that i pull in are speed limit classes set around 5 mph. Was thinking of putting a schwitzer 3LM 466 turbo on my tractor, and wondered if it would help my performance or hurt my performance. My concerns are that at low rpm that i'm not going to spin the 3LM 466 turbo fast enough with my tractor set at 130 horse power, and the turbo won't hold when it's really lugging around 1,200 rpm when i need my low end torque. I realize on the speed limit classes I can turn the pump up to where that isn't really a concern, but just wondered if anyone thought this would be a good turbo match up for what i'm trying to do or not. I know the schwitzer is a good turbo, but i'm just concerned whether or not i have the horse power, cubic inches, and pump to make it perform like it should, and a hold at a 130 horse power class. Thank you guys for any advice.

Re: schwitzer 3LM 466 on stock 1066?? July 13, 2012 02:21PM
The 3-LM in my opinion will work quite well for what you are describing. The Schwitzer is more efficent than the T04. You are correct that you have more chance of getting under the larger charger.

Re: schwitzer 3LM 466 on stock 1066?? July 14, 2012 02:36PM
Gonzo, so you would give the 3LM 466 a try? Another worry I have is that I know I'm most likely gonna gain 10 or 15 horse with the addition of the 3 LM... I will have to turn my pump down a turn or so to reach the 130 horse limit... Will I lose torque because of that and then increase my chances of "getting under the turbo?" or when you say the 3LM is more efficient, do you mean it takes less exhause pressure to spin the turbo therefore giving me greater boost at the lower rpms than the T04?

Re: schwitzer 3LM 466 on stock 1066?? July 14, 2012 03:18PM
This doesn't even sound like fun

Re: schwitzer 3LM 466 on stock 1066?? July 15, 2012 02:36AM
If your at the hp limit and cant go over it then leave it alone.

Re: schwitzer 3LM 466 on stock 1066?? July 15, 2012 03:07AM
Turn up your pump fuel delivery so it makes 200 HP.Turn down your high idle about 100 rpm. When they check your HP, you will be low HP (120-130)at rated rpm speed, but when you lug it down below rated speed you will have more HP than ever. This is of course you have a dyno guy that isn't really sharp. There are no printed specs saying what HP you should have at 200 rpm under rated speed, so how can the dyno guy argue with the results???

Re: schwitzer 3LM 466 on stock 1066?? July 15, 2012 06:03AM
inj pump man
Turn up your pump fuel delivery so it makes 200 HP.Turn down your high idle about 100 rpm. When they check your HP, you will be low HP (120-130)at rated rpm speed, but when you lug it down below rated speed you will have more HP than ever. This is of course you have a dyno guy that isn't really sharp. There are no printed specs saying what HP you should have at 200 rpm under rated speed, so how can the dyno guy argue with the results???

The secret is out..Fuel adjustment is important. This will work, especially well with the 3-LM charger. The 3-LM (in my opinion) is a much better charger, thicker shaft that is much stronger, modern more efficent turbine and impeller. I have not looked at the compressor map on one BUT from experence on quite a few stockish IH tractors instilation usually picks up about 10-15 hp on a moderatly fueled farm tractor. Even more when the black smoke rolls. I found with my tractor that the 3-LM makes a few pounds less boost than a comperable T-04 but delivers more air volume. Dont ask how that works but it is all in the efficency of the compressor.

Re: schwitzer 3LM 466 on stock 1066?? July 18, 2012 10:01AM
The not so secret, "secret" fuel adjustment won't work. The top 6 tractors in every class at this pull are dynoed at maximum HP, not at PTO HP, the dyno man keeps crankin it down til the numbers stop goin up.

Re: schwitzer 3LM 466 on stock 1066?? July 18, 2012 02:35PM
Freak On A Leash
The not so secret, "secret" fuel adjustment won't work. The top 6 tractors in every class at this pull are dynoed at maximum HP, not at PTO HP, the dyno man keeps crankin it down til the numbers stop goin up.

You can barrow my old PTO clutch. It was rolling smoke at 50 hp haha

[www.youtube.com]
My name = Kyle Kerr

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009