shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 22, 2012 05:50AM
As we have been watching the class seems that tractor who can shift in motion have a huge advantage So could rules be adjusted that no shifting tractor could compete maybe 300-400 rpm given to them .We're not trying to stir up things just looking for input and maybe a rule change for next year.

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 22, 2012 06:07AM
What brand do any board members or good ole boys pull? ? AC OR IH, that wil determine alot

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 22, 2012 12:02PM
Let pullers shift once before 150 feet [saves your clutch ] no shifting after.

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 22, 2012 12:20PM
Whats wrong with shifting? You shift on the farm all the time. Must be deeres bitchin.Like 4010 4020. Get a ih or case then shift all you want. Otherwise go to SUPER FARM.

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 22, 2012 12:32PM
So much for not stirring things up . oh and by the way a quad tractor does shift.

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 22, 2012 01:06PM
Its always a JD crying one thing about an IH u can put a electic
shift on the ta and never take ur hand off the wheel and they are very
fast. We got guys that are bitching about this too. Hope to see someone
make something for a Deere, just a safety thing.

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 22, 2012 01:14PM
Do your research. I've put electric shift on several quad shifts, A fuel shut off solenoid works. But an aftermarket street rod electric door lock works better. Think outside the box.

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 22, 2012 01:30PM
Well if u did I'm with quick shift I never seen one or heard of one!

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 22, 2012 11:01PM
just because you aint heard of it dont mean that it doesn't exist!!!!!

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm ? for Been There July 24, 2012 12:01AM
I would like to have more information on using the electric door lock on the quad range. My 4430 JD has the synco range but i have purchased a built quad pack with the complete housing. I'm in the process of switching them out looking for the best way to shift it.

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm ? for Been There July 24, 2012 08:10AM
It's really no different than the IH. All your doing is moving the spool in the select valve. The solenoid pulls it one direction and a spring moves it back the other way. You could even modify and use the Hi-Cap setup from an IH. I misstated when I said door lock. I used a solenoid made to open the door on a street rod when the door handles have been removed. Such as these.

[electric-life.com]

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 24, 2012 01:46AM
We have used a foot pedal for years on our 4430. Short linkage to the shift vale lever though the floor. No wires or solenoid to give grief. Works great.

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 23, 2012 02:59AM
Nearly every brand has offered tractors with the ability to shift on the go. Just because your tractor can't shift why do you think it is fair to punish the guys that can shift by not allowing it? If it is such an advantage make your tractor where you can shift. Colberg used to run a shifter on his Moline in Superfarm and he may still do it. Shifting is legal in most all classes. I would have to re-read the NTPA rulebook but I don't think it is forbidden in any of their classes. This is not the stone age. Tractors have been able to shift on the go since the 1950's there is no reason to go backwards in time and take that technology away.

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 23, 2012 12:27PM
Hell yeah, shift them thats why its on there, these other posters are a true bunch of losers

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 23, 2012 01:34PM
What the hell is up with people being so against technology and moving forward? Shifting has been around forever so why not let the capable tractors that have the ability do it? If you don't like it or can't compete FIGURE SOMETHING ELSE OUT THAT'S BETTER! Or should we all just pull steam engines?

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 23, 2012 03:41PM
I like technology but I totaly want to pull a steam engine too!!!

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 23, 2012 03:55PM
LOL! Me too after I thought about it. Except someone would would eventually use illegal water to make their steam and the fit would hit the shan and we would be back to square one! Lol

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 24, 2012 12:23AM
You are right. One steam engine would weigh more than someone elses.
Years ago tractor classes were by manufactures plow ratings and at factory
shipping weights. Guess what. (not starting any color wars, for real). A Case
"500" five plow tractor weighing 8000 or so pounds from the factory pulls in same class as a 6500lb
560 advertized by IH to be a five plow tractor.
The process began then and there to equalize the classes and has been going on since.
Rules that limit what you can do are not usually aimed to hurt a class but to help it grow.
If you can shift do it. If you can run a 706 rearend in a 1066 front with a truck engine do it.
If you can stuff that hollowed out 619 in that 4020 Deere go for it (you will not care if others shift or not)
It will not be long and your class will be gone.

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 24, 2012 03:48AM
I don't see where forcing guys to remove or not use factory components is ever good for a class. The funny thing is around here when hot farm started just about every tractor could shift because they were nearly stock. Besides by your theory tractor pulling really never should have existed. Back in the 60's the 4020 guys used to get beat by the 1206's all the time because they could shift. No rule was made then and yet we still have tractor pulling today.

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 24, 2012 10:48AM
This is and will always be a issue. I believe it makes for a real challenge in driving skills if you don't get it shifted timely you just lost your #% s ! Seen this happen! Would be real BORING if every tractor ran the same, looked the same, etc. Original equipment should never be voted out of use in a class!

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 24, 2012 02:17PM
How much horsepower is a John Deere wet clutch and two speed able to handle?

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 24, 2012 03:50PM
A lot.

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 25, 2012 12:02AM
If using a steel clutch and flywheel with all the discs together about 1000 horsepower before troubles. This is providing all the discs are good and it is adjusted correctly.

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 25, 2012 12:40AM
So don't try to use a engine any bigger than a 466? And can u build the clutch and two speed to hold more?

Re: shifting or not shifting in hot farm July 25, 2012 01:28AM
All Jacked Up!
This is and will always be a issue. I believe it makes for a real challenge in driving skills if you don't get it shifted timely you just lost your #% s ! Seen this happen! Would be real BORING if every tractor ran the same, looked the same, etc. Original equipment should never be voted out of use in a class!

Agreed. An improperly timed downshift can cost you more distance than a properly timed one will gain you. That downshift is both a curse and blessing at the same time.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009