Drought stricken crops July 29, 2012 07:18PM
Going to take a little road trip this week from Northern Wi. heading south to see the devastation of the drought. Where are some of the hardest hit places to see? Might stop in and talk to a few fellow farmers to see how their dealing with all of this.

Re: Drought stricken crops July 30, 2012 12:47AM
dont know how far south you are going but i was told that southern ill is terrible

Re: Drought stricken crops July 30, 2012 04:14AM
Come to central & western Ky.

Re: Drought stricken crops July 30, 2012 05:36AM
CENTRAL MO. CORN BURNT UP, BEANS BARELY HOLDING ON, LOT OF GUYS CHOPPING OR BALING CORN TO FEED COWS, INS AJUSTERS CALLING CORN YEIELDS AT 20 BPA OR LESS, NEED RAIN BAD GUYS ITS GETTING SERIOUS, PRAY,PRAY,PRAY....................

Re: Drought stricken crops July 30, 2012 12:15PM
Been everywhere mentioned but Wisconsin. Theres a stretch in southern IL and southern IN (Shelby Co.) that is as bad as Ive ever seen. West KY is hit pretty hard too, but nothing like the other side of the river. Really, in all honesty, Ive not seen any decent fields of corn in any of my recent travels. Going to make for some interesting times in an already interesting commodities market.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Drought stricken crops July 30, 2012 02:44PM
South central wisconsin arounf westfield. All non irrigated corn is dead. The darkest burnt brown i've seen and only about 2-3ft tall and not a cob to be found. Beans are dead as well. Choping what we can. We havent even thought about 3rd crop hay is about 6-8 inch's tall and burnt up. Should have enough corn for the cows and to fill our contract but dont know what we are gunna do for hay.

Re: Drought stricken crops July 30, 2012 02:53PM
don't know where you are but I have hay laying dang near everywhere, early corn was a disaster worked it up and replanted in june and sonofagun its shoulder high and green as poison maybe we will make a crop after 3 that didn't work well for various reasons. good luck to all those that are struggling I hope things pick up, btw have some leftover hay that will dang near giveaway if it will help.

Re: Drought stricken crops July 31, 2012 03:19AM
Here in southern Michigan at the auction last week, a lot of second cut hay was sold at $12.42 a bale and is expected to be more next Saturday. My neighbor raises buffalo and got 17 big rounds on second cut from a field he normally gets in the 50 range. The next morning, 2 bales were gone. How the thieves did it is anyone's guess, but stealing hay--wth?? JW

Re: Drought stricken crops July 31, 2012 04:39AM
I don't have any crops per say, although in my area in central IL (Bloomington), things appear to not be good at all. I only say that as I have only seen from the road, not walked in the fields. I have cousins south of I-70 and they have said the same thing as the other posts. But the pics show one of my favorite fishing holes at a friend's farm that is no more. The pond is 30-35 ft deep and approx. 250-300 ft across. The pics are taken from the burm that I am standing on. For the past 40 years, it had been fed by a natural underground stream 12 months out of the year. The stream stopped in November and this is the result of that plus no sizable rain since the winter. There are gobs coon, fox, coyote, and deer tracks along with tracks of a crane. In the middle, you will find plenty of fish bones as well. This is very sad to me.

Re: Drought stricken crops July 31, 2012 05:28AM
We have not had any rain since late May, yet there was a report out that said some one took a yield check and said that our county average will be 197 #2 corn this fall. LMAO at that!!!!!!

Re: whats everbodys guess to what the ave bu will be July 31, 2012 10:40AM
Im guessing the us ave @ 115 bu for corn and 30 bu for beans.

Re: whats everbodys guess to what the ave bu will be July 31, 2012 12:31PM
Cutting what is out there for silage in Northwest Iowa. Crop insurance adjuster said the average he has seen is around 20 bushels per acre.

Re: Drought stricken crops July 31, 2012 12:52PM
I am windrowing (YES windrowing) corn now near Sioux City, IA

Re: Drought stricken crops July 31, 2012 03:07PM
Wow! That is just so hard to believe! I am in NW Wisconsin, and while we don't get the large yields like in Iowa and Illinois, I would not be surprised if our area easily avgs. 150 or more, but.....we have had no significant rain for at least 3 weeks, and we need it! 10 more weeks til harvest time-how long can a good looking crop go without rain and then crumble??? Hope to head out tomorrow heading south into Iowa, Illinois, then easterly....no real destination. Hope to stop in at a few farms and chat with the farmers.

Re: Drought stricken crops August 01, 2012 12:22AM
Northwest of Sioux city Iowa Chopping corn with little to no ears beans are turning yellow and shrinking by the day pod set was burned off by the heat
estimates are 0-25 on most of the corn and the way the beans look with no pods gonna cut for hay as soon as Insurance lets us. Haven't seen more than a sprinkle since May 26 go 5 miles south of Sioux City and they seem to get rain every couple weeks. O well someone needs to raise a crop this year. praying for rain to make 2013 crop. Good luck to everyone

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009