Alky Turbo Ignition Timing August 01, 2012 08:45AM
Just curious where people are setting there timing at . I have a single charger 362ci Allis on Alcohol. We have it set at 19 but we think it is retarded and the EGT's are a bit high. Just wondering what other people are doing? Have be told 25 does that seem reasonable?
MSD 10 plus ignition.

Any help would be appreciated. Smiling

Re: Alky Turbo Ignition Timing August 01, 2012 02:37PM
Funny, I was just thinking today about retarding mine. It's at almost 30 so 25 might be better for both of us.

Re: Alky Turbo Ignition Timing August 01, 2012 03:28PM
take it to 24 or 25 that should be a good start for you, and if your MSD 10 hasnt started to give you trouble yet it will, save your self and go on and frind a MSD or MSD 8plus and put on it, you will be way better off in the long run.

Re: Alky Turbo Ignition Timing August 02, 2012 01:10AM
Thanks guys for all the help. I will try 24 and see what that does.

MSD10 plus that bad?

I guess I will ad a MSD 8 on the long to do list. Smiling

Re: Alky Turbo Ignition Timing August 02, 2012 02:31AM
some 10 plus boxes are good some are junk. some guys never have an issue and some guys never get a good one. its like a game of russia roulette. mine was inconsistent junk. probably why msd doesnt make it anymore. 8 plus boxes are good but they are older technology. get a mag and you will have a hotter more consistent spark and be money ahead. theres a reason why funny cars and dragsters run a pro mag 44 and so do the national champs in the ulss and lss

Re: Alky Turbo Ignition Timing August 02, 2012 03:12AM
There are still some issues w the 44mag set up, and when a coil.or points box takes a @#$%& it'll cost u almost as much as a new 8plus set up

Re: Alky Turbo Ignition Timing August 02, 2012 09:35AM
We went from a MSD 44 Pro Mag to GM automotive single coils on 16 Volts.
What we've learned in the past, after starting to measure our A/F ratio is that your intake air temperature is directly related to your A/F ratio. Means: Hot air going in - need a lot of fuel to get EGTs right but very rich combustion = tough for the ignition.
So I guess you could get along fine with an MSD 10 if you can get your intake air cold enough (and measured BEFORE any fuel hits it). A little bit of water can do wonders there and helps A lot with detonation, too... but make sure to get your water / fuel set up matched. If you just put in water and keep the fuel up, your EGTs drop and power's gone. You can basically replace methanol with water (not in a 1:1 ratio though, as water takes more heat out than methanol) up to the point where you are getting close to your stoichometric A/F...

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Alky Turbo Ignition Timing August 02, 2012 09:36AM
Also check the timing marks on your plugs - that will give you a good idea.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Alky Turbo Ignition Timing August 01, 2012 04:05PM
Robert, on my 301 I had a MSD 7 on it and I allways ran it at 25. That seemed to work the best for it. With my new 409 setup, I have a MSD 8 on it and I have it set on 22. But like I said new set up. I am not real sure that's where it needs to be just yet.

Re: Alky Turbo Ignition Timing August 01, 2012 04:12PM
we're at 22, less and temps went up. Tried 25 and started detonation. Kind of a happy medium

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,957, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,040.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009