Dt 466 fuel and smoke ? August 03, 2012 01:14PM
I have ford pickup with a dt466 engine it has a Bosch p7100 pump compound turbos s300 and s400. The pump 13 mm plungers 850 cc of fuel. When I run the truck lots of grey smoke no black I have no pointer on the crank when I timed the pump so I top dead center # 1 cylinder then turned pump over till # 1 piston on pump was ready pump fuel Then I advanced motor about 35 degree then went back till I got to run on it's own with no flaming out the exhaust. When I crank the engine over a few times before it fires. Lots of fuel coming out the exhaust and lots of grey smoke. If someone has some answers or ideas I greatly appreciate it... When I put a load on the engine smoke gets medium to dark grey. Maybe I'm to far advanced.

Re: Dt 466 fuel and smoke ? August 03, 2012 06:26PM
sounds like a bit much fuel for the air you have to burn try cutting the fuel back a bit

Re: Dt 466 fuel and smoke ? August 04, 2012 12:46PM
850 cc a lot of fuel with compound turbos?

Re: Dt 466 fuel and smoke ? August 05, 2012 12:57AM
You stuck a wire in & judged when it was at TDC? Piston dwells at TDC to long for that to be accurate, that's not a good method even with a dial indicator. Make something that stops the piston like a bolt in a scrap injector, turn engine till it stops, make a mark, turn engine backwards till it stops again, make another mark. TDC is half way between the marks. It would be better to do it with a degree wheel, but if you don't have one this would certainly be closer than what you did.

Re: Dt 466 fuel and smoke ? August 04, 2012 01:00PM
If you have no tdc pointer, how do you know you advanced the motor 35 degrees? I would start with finding tdc a get an accurate pointer and go from there. good luck

Re: Dt 466 fuel and smoke ? August 05, 2012 12:43AM
There are degrees on the crank pulley I put a mark on my front cover after I found tdc by taking out # 1 injector put a wire down on piston.

Re: Dt 466 fuel and smoke ? August 05, 2012 01:03AM
Snap On makes an adapter that clamps on an injection line and allows you to use a standard timing light. Very simple to use.

Re: Dt 466 fuel and smoke ? August 05, 2012 05:36AM
Ford dt466
There are degrees on the crank pulley I put a mark on my front cover after I found tdc by taking out # 1 injector put a wire down on piston.

YOU CAN NOT CHECK TDC with a wire down the injector hole. This is not accurate and you have the possibilty of being near 20degrees off. The dwell time that the piston is not moving can be quite a few degrees of rotation. Accuracy in timing of the injection event is everything in diesel pulling.

Re: Dt 466 fuel and smoke ? August 05, 2012 08:24AM
If you turned the motor clockwise to 32" you retarded the timing 32" instead of advancing.

Re: Dt 466 fuel and smoke ? August 05, 2012 10:48AM
First off 35 degrees is not enough advance for that pump you need to be some where in the 42 degrees advanced area. Also have you done any cam or head work? You have way to much fuel for that kind of air. Start somewhere around 650 and see if it leans out then adjust from there. If your running a completely stock motor other than a bunch of fuel and air its never going to take it. Also the size of the injector and lines will also affect this some.

Re: Dt 466 fuel and smoke ? August 06, 2012 02:45AM
I have a custom cam no information on it. I believe the injectors are 4/20 stock fuel lines. Diesel company did all the work head work, pump set up, cam, injectors,turbos. But getting info on is like pulling teeth so for must of the work they did was wrong. The pump and head is suppose to turn 4000 rpms.. How can I turn fuel down on pump Bosch p 7100 rsv to 650 I believe its on the back behind the four bolt cover. Turn right or left and how much

Re: Dt 466 fuel and smoke ? August 06, 2012 03:23AM
Are you sure you are not 180 degrees off? You need the valve cover off to know if you are or not. They will run at 180 degrees off, but with lots of smoke and no power.

Re: Dt 466 fuel and smoke ? August 06, 2012 05:31AM
how is pump timing mark set? Beginning of injection? or so many degrees after beginning of injection? Too many questionable things here. You are obviously out of time though, we've established that much. Good luck getting everything set.

Re: Dt 466 fuel and smoke ? August 06, 2012 11:49PM
Make sure your pump firing order corrensponse with engine firing order. Depending on direction pump is spinning firing order maybe backwards.

Re: Dt 466 fuel and smoke ? August 07, 2012 06:10AM
i have a ford 401 that i put an a pump on have snapon timing its 38 degrees advanced but it throws a lot of fuel out exhaust has no power and very high egt just trying to get it to run or do i have a bad pump

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,639, Posts: 229,705, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520