cummins vs duramax August 07, 2012 12:08PM
Which is the better truck to have? I am wanting a personal truck for the farm, but I want to be able to make a few updates to increse HP. It will mainly be a work truck but if I went to a tractor pull and hooked it in the stock truck class I would want to do pretty good with it. I guess what I am trying to ask is which motor will make the most HP for the least amount and still be feasible for a farm truck? and what do you recomend to get this HP?

Re: cummins vs duramax August 07, 2012 12:29PM
Well I would take a cummins over a duramax anyday but what year cummins are you looking to buy or duramax

Re: cummins vs duramax August 07, 2012 12:39PM
My opinion is you can't go wrong motor wise with a dmax or cummins for work.

If you are getting an auto trans for work get the dmax (06-07 classic preferably)

The cabs I think are nicer and quieter on the dmaxs

You will spend more for a dmax same year, miles, options, and condition.

BUT if you want to have some easy fun with hooking it to a sled the cummins can do more with less money and mods if you prefer to try your luck down that road.

Stay 07 or older with no particulate filter on the exhaust if are looking for good used. If new, the Dodge won't have urea on board and H&S has a lot available to make a new cummins scream.

'04.5-07 (lly/lbz and 5.9L) are good years for both.

I have always thought if you could take a super duty cab and chassis, with cummins motor, and an allison trans you would have a hell of a truck.

Best of luck.

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

www.truck-specialties.com

Schaeffer Oil Representative

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Re: cummins vs duramax August 07, 2012 02:42PM
if you go with a dmax the lly motor (04.5-05) is a good solid motor if the original headgaskets have been changed, upgraded headgaskets were made and fixed the issueis its about $3500-$4000 to have a shop to do it. I did it myself and it was a major undertaking for not being an experienced dmax mechanic. The early 06 are basically the lly motor with better tuning and 6 speed tranny and headgasket issue fixed. If i had it to do over again thats what i would look for. Look into EFI live for tuning for the dmax and they do have EFI live for cummins now but im not for sure what all years its available for. Dont waste your money for an off the shelf tuner/chip.

Re: cummins vs duramax August 07, 2012 03:47PM
Go with a cummins,owned a 02 cummins traded it on an 05 duramax, was the biggest pile of CRAP i ever owned. had nothing but electrical problems and the trans wouldnt hold pulling a 1066 around. Traded it on a 03 cummins, best move i ever made. Chevys have a better ride but thats about it, they are a pain in the @ss to work on, The 06 and 07 classic chevy is better than the 04.5 and 05, but if you are looking to pull a trailer go with a cummins .

Re: cummins vs duramax August 08, 2012 03:48AM
Have to disagree with some on this thread. We have n 06 cummins and an 07 classic duramax. To be honest we like both trucks, but the GMC is a much nicer truck. We like the cummins engine, but the duramax is quiter, smoother, and will out pull the cummins. The rest of the truck isn't even a contest. The GMC is hands down a better quality truck than the dodge.
The allison transmission is bullet proof, as far as the dodge goes it is a manual trans because I wouldn't even consider a dodge auto from past experience

Re: cummins vs duramax August 08, 2012 06:51AM
talk to any gm dealer the 04 duramax motor was the best. there was a injector issue on them but gm covers that. dont know bout the cummins but they always seemed like good trucks other than the early trans issues. all of them trucks had there issues. good luck

Re: cummins vs duramax August 08, 2012 08:04AM
I think that GM warranty on the injectors was 200k miles or 7 years, which ever came first. There isn't any warranty left for an LB7 original injector. And that warranty was like pulling teeth for some GM owners.

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

www.truck-specialties.com

Schaeffer Oil Representative

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2012 08:53AM by AV.

Re: cummins vs duramax August 08, 2012 09:18AM
wasnt for us, got ours replaced last year (march to be exact) with 120000 miles on it. they were more than eaer to do it.

Re: cummins vs duramax August 08, 2012 10:29AM
gm all the way, that vp44 pump on the 98.5-02 dodge was worse than any chevy injector problem i've ever had. i've had a 96 chevy 6.5 liter, 98 dodge, 2001 dodge, 2004 gmc 2005 dodge, 2008 dodge 2010 dodge 2012chevy, go with duramax, you'll never go back

Re: cummins vs duramax August 09, 2012 11:53PM
I have had both and both trucks had zero poblems.As for hooking to a sled the chevy or GMC will need some modification to front suspension as in stock form they will bounce and break.I have helped at several pulls where they pull STOCK? trucks and the chipped ones have a lot more smoke but at the last two pulls a stock 2011 Ford diesel with no modifications except rear blocked suspension took it faster and farther.I dont like the mileage or having to add urea but they have lots of torque.We had a local boy take his truck to a speciality diesel shop,changed turbos,did some head and exhaust work,added bigger controler plus redone pump.Sounded good smoked like a super farm ,spent over 5K and got beat by a new Ford that had 50 miles on it.Cummings motors have been known to run over 750000 miles with no problems and the 6.0 Fords were junk and some of the early DuraMaxs had injector issues.The 100K warranty was used on many Fords.The 7.3 was bulletproof just short on power.

Re: cummins vs duramax August 08, 2012 03:39PM
I'm a dodge guy, but you can't beat a duramax in the stock classes. They have a larger turbo from the factory and a stronger transmission. You will have to fix the tie rod ends but after that you will be good to pull. The drivability with the Chevy is better too just make sure you get a 6 speed.

Re: cummins vs duramax August 09, 2012 04:06PM
i know a guy that buys a new diesel every year since 95 said that the duramax is an excellent truckhe has had 7 of them now and he also keeps a 03 cummins with a six speed around to pull very large loads with so it depends on the size of load your pulling witch to get also he put around 40000 miles on each truck has 340000 miles on the cummins

Re: cummins vs duramax August 10, 2012 10:23AM
Go for the Dodge / Cummins , cant go wrong !! Who ever said the VP 44 comment hasnt been out around diesels much at all - increase lift pump pressure = no problems , I dont know why anyone would want the Chevy , just look under the hood - what a mess

Re: cummins vs duramax August 10, 2012 04:34PM
I have had 6 Dodge Cummins trucks so far. all of them have towed (on the highway) for all of the miles on them. Very few problems for me. The GM dura has proven to be a really good unit, HOWEVER I do all of my own wrenching on my trucks. As mentioned before just pop the hood on both trucks, see which one you can work on without removing the cab. The Cummins seems to be easier and less expensive to hop up. IMHO/.

Re: cummins vs duramax August 11, 2012 02:32AM
I would want a Chevy because it outperforms all other diesels across the board. Read diesel power mag any time they do a straight from the factory challenge. I have an 08 LMM with 150k on it and haven't had to turn one wrench. Just keep up with the maintenance. A mess under the hood???? Just look at the dodge, the whole truck is a mess!

Re: cummins vs duramax August 11, 2012 10:44AM
There was a class of local diesel 4x4's at the end of one of our tractor shows the other nite. I hadn't seen a diesel 4x4 class for quite awhile, and the last time I did, it was predominantly Dodge/Cummins. I was very surprised to see about 10 D-Max's to to every couple Dodges, and the Dodges weren't even close. Have had a couple Dodges. Love the motor, hate the truck. Driving a D-Max now, have had no issues with the motor (runs like a scalded dog, too!), and love the truck. They have all had their issues, I know, but you really can't go wrong with either.

Re: cummins vs duramax August 12, 2012 01:29PM
I Have had 5 Cummins Dodges, the oldest has 400,000 miles on it the engine and auto trans are original altho tranny is shot now. Early 91, 95, 05, 10, 11, 12 the 95 was probably the weakest. All this talk of the Dodge not riding and being as nice as the GM is bull. I have a new LTZ suburban And my new 12 Laramie Ram is just as nice, all the options and quiet. Not here to say the Dodge is better, but just as good. Have you ever saw a trucker tlt the hood on a big Pete, Kenworth, or a Binder and see a durasmoke or a powermax in there? Didn't think so!

Re: cummins vs duramax August 12, 2012 11:02PM
Never seen a 5.9 in a Large Car either. By the way I've had 99 04 05 06 09 Dodges, the Chevy is a better truck IMHO.

Re: cummins vs duramax August 13, 2012 03:32PM
buy a 6.4 and then you'll have the best of everything.

Re: cummins vs duramax August 13, 2012 04:50PM
WTF is that? A de-cubed duramax i hope!!! We are comparing apples to apples, not Lemons!!!

Re: cummins vs duramax August 14, 2012 11:29PM
JD Boy
I Have had 5 Cummins Dodges,Have you ever saw a trucker tlt the hood on a big Pete, Kenworth, or a Binder and see a durasmoke or a powermax in there? Didn't think so!

Cummins is a engine supplier which is why their engines are in a ton of things. Duramax is built for pickups and so is the powerstroke engine. But if you want to get technical the people who built powerstroke "international/navistar" did build semi trucks and put motors into them. Also the company who helped design the duramax "Izuzu" builds trucks and has massive engines put into large equipment all over the world.

[www.youtube.com]
My name = Kyle Kerr

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009