Diesel FWD a sick class August 22, 2012 01:27PM
after seeing the results from Bowling Gren and watiching the live results from Greenville its time for the Diesel FWD truck to get there act together before they are a real national class. 10 trucks at Bowling Green and 6 at Greenville and 3 only go 15 feet and the 3 in a pulloff all break. scrape the D FWD

Disagree August 22, 2012 03:10PM
It has had a longer growing curve than light pro stock, but then again there are plenty of tractors that didn't need a whole lot of work to switch up or down a class. SSDFWD, on the other hand, is a much more custom class so it's going to take longer to develop. I'd bet several of the pullers in the midwest area were broke this past weekend. It's not the pullers fault the sled was set too heavy on Sunday at BG.

For what it's worth, here is a list of Super Stock Diesel FWDs that have pulled in the class this year, from Louisville to present. A few of these run mostly the Pro Stock class but occassionally put on the bigger tires and maybe change the turbo setup. This may not be 100%, but I'd bet it's most of them.
Here are 30 of them, but they are spread out.

Kent Crowder
Ben Miller
Van Haisley
Curt Haisley
Todd Gettlefinger
Cory Atley
Carl Atley
Matt Clemons
Wayne Greier
Shane Kellogg
Kyle Michael
Taylor Pidgeon
Eric Stacey
Roger Straley
Calvin Miller
Brad Ingram

Here are some others
Chris Ryan (TX) bought the Vorhees Big Bad Dodge truck, now known as Big Bad Dodge Lone Star Edition
Josh Watson (TN)
Several that run the Power Pulling Circuit in PA, from a quick youtube search
Brad Deeter
Jeremy Davis
Shawn Hodges
Tim Jackson
Lunatic Fringe (unsure of driver)

did you know one of the hotbeds of the class is....... Utah???
There are 6 that run with them:
Kent Jones
Russ Prescott
Joel Carlson
Jason Stott
Ed Boyles
Terry Thain

And, there is a blue one from somewhere in the Montana/Colorado area
Blue SSDFWD

In addition, I'm not sure if Cindy Adkins or Matthew Conrad are pulling this year. If so, that would be 32 of them.

Re: Diesel FWD a sick class August 22, 2012 03:15PM
Crowds love the diesel pickups, and many identify with them.
I'd pay to watch 10 diesel pickups, but you couldn't pay me enough to watch 50 SF hay rake yankers!
As much as I love the 2wd class, I would NOT sit thru a class of 63 of them either!
I say at Tomah, BG, and maybe others, run the GN licenced competitors first, then all the "per event" competitors.

Re: Diesel FWD a sick class August 22, 2012 03:25PM
To the OP: It is an exercise in futility for me to try to reason with you.
Either you have an agenda to promote a different class that you see more fit to the bill or you don't care for smoke classes or trucks in general.
The lack of your name in this thread leads me to question the validity of your arguement.

I will tell you that there are more trucks being built, ours will be hitting the track sometime this fall or early next season and we aren't the only ones about ready to roll out. Already this year we have added at least three new trucks to the class.

I do believe that we are spread pretty thin. Some of the pullers in our class are trying to run NTPA RN II, PPL, and OSTPA . It makes for an insane schedule that has us bouncing from one state to the next from day to day, half the time in the middle of the week, making it very hard for us working types to attend every hook.

One thing is for sure. You will not find myself or any of my fellow classmates stooping to your level. We are more professional and respectful to the organizations and other pullers to start inflammatory threads on the Internet forums.

Chris Watson
Watson Motorsports
Batavia, OH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2012 03:30PM by supersonic.

Re: SuperSonic August 23, 2012 06:18AM
I hit the like button twice.

Mike

Disappointed, but not jumping ship August 23, 2012 07:25AM
I, too, was disappointed at the diesel pickup class at BG, but by no means would I want to get rid of them. There are other classes I rather get rid of first.

Breakage appeared to be the biggest factor in the low numbers and time will take care of that. I don't know the whole story behind it, but it seems like the diesel pickups took a long time to get staged and hooked to the sled, second to only the modified tractors. (But the show seemed to run slower in general this year, in terms of getting vehicles hooked and lined up. For example, when Kendra Rodgers broke on Sunday and needed assistance getting off the track, the next truck was just sitting there even though the sled was in place and ready for the next hook. It might not seem like much time is lost here, but add a minute or two here, a few more there over the course of 5 sessions in 3 days and over 500? hooks, it is a considerable amount of time.)

As for future events at BG, I expect the diesel trucks to climb in numbers and popularity. It wouldn't surprise me if the mods got the boot in favor of the light mod class, since the mod & unlimited classes give most of those guys four hooks since all they do is strap on another engine for the unlimited class.

Speaking of other class options, what were the thoughts on the survey? I filled one out online since I didn't bother getting a program. Do you think they will add a Thursday session and what classes will be added/dropped?

Re: Disappointed, but not jumping ship August 23, 2012 07:39AM
Who strapped on engines for UL class besides Bollinger ?

Re: Disappointed, but not jumping ship August 23, 2012 07:49AM
while i think its great that the diesel fwd pullers are trying to get the class more national exposer the fact remains that only 6 showed at greenville and only 3 ran. you can make a list of 100 d fwd pullers but if only 6 showup and 3 run the list either means that the other pullers are broke or they are saving there trucks for another event. the class would be much betteer with one turbo and 3 liter motors. muti turbos should never had been started,,,,enough of them they don;t run, to have a class

Re: Disappointed, but not jumping ship August 23, 2012 08:08AM
I'm not sure, I didn't pay that much attention to it. Veney runs good enough to win on four, so you know he's making some power.

Re: Diesel FWD a sick class August 23, 2012 08:27AM
Maybe NTPA needs to do away with pulloffs in this class....Diesel pickups are popular in my area but the top running ones seem to break quite often..If they didnt use the floating finish around here there wouldnt be any trucks left pulling by mid season...Two guys I know have strong trucks but just cant keep them together..

Re: Diesel FWD a sick class August 23, 2012 12:22PM
I'd rather watch a fwd smoke blower any day over a twd noise maker! too many noise makers in the ntpa imo.

Re: Diesel FWD a sick class August 24, 2012 07:16AM
The SSD FWD class like Chris said above is spread pretty thin, even though the numbers exist for this class to be around. True there's 30 of these trucks across the country but that's just it, they're spread out. How many chose to stay at the house since the Scheid show is this weekend? It is for all intents and purposes it is the show of shows for the Diesel truck crowd.

I was at Greenville and it was kind of painful to watch half the class have problems. However the trucks that ran offered impressive passes that the crowd appreciated. The investment of time and resources to make one of these beasts get down the track is all new territory, as diesel truck pulling as we know it still in its' infancy. With anything new, growing pains happen. My hope is that the kinks get worked out and we see this class develop like it should.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Diesel FWD a sick class August 25, 2012 05:57AM
the problem is the rules. the pullers seem like they can do whatever the heck they want. they need to set some limits so people dont have to blow up their motors to compete

Re: Diesel FWD a sick class August 25, 2012 10:02AM
They need to use cheaper more durable motors , IHC and DEERE 466 BLOCKS SINGLE TURBO super farm hp way more stuff avaliable,

Re: Diesel FWD a sick class August 26, 2012 01:07AM
Maybe they shouldn't hammer the crap out of them at 260 ft like they did on Sunday....they did the same thing at the scheid pull on fri.....that really sucks...these guys have to feather it out to 100 ft.before they lay into the throttle so it will hook into the track so when you shut them off at 260 ft. It just looks ridiculous...

Re: Diesel FWD a sick class August 26, 2012 07:23AM
Its a fairly new class they are still working on set ups and finding/building parts that will hold up. I love watching the diesel class. as for numbers i know on smaller scale pulling it doesnt pay the bills im sure bigger scale pulling is the same. We had a pull in our area where the diesel truck class had 16 trucks the weekend before and only showed up with one for our event because they were all working on planting crops. Farm work doesnt do itself when your out pulling. Unfortunately they will have growing pains they are starting from scratch. these arent tractor motors that have several different companies that have been making parts that are proven to hold up after several years of trial and error. Give the class time and i think it will be one of the most popular classes available. Every pull ive been at the crowd loves those trucks weather there is 1 or 20 of them.

As for noise versus smoke every one has there own favorite i personaly like both.

At tomah Ricky Rose ran all 3 modified cleasses. The light to the regular mod i think all the lights ran except Adam Baur. I like the modifieds but to me there isnt much difference between the lights and the regular mods. Not a class im getting real excited about yet. From what ive seen the three engine mods are the way to go in the light class not much of a difference when the regular mods run 3-4 motors and the unlimiteds are running 4 motors. Yeah the unlimiteds run 4 bigger motors and you can feel and hear the difference but there doesnt seem to be alot of them any more either.

If you want to play the numbers game how many semis have been on the circuit and how many of the super semi class are pro stock semis. Tomah had i think 5 semis 2 were true super semis. How many unlimited mods are there? what about the 4x4 class with the blowers? I didnt see to many Hevy super alky burners either. Numbers always go up and down you cant get rid of a class just because there arent very many of them one year. The pro stock class was hurting for a while too but now they are one of the better classes to watch. The light pro is doing so well because most of the names and faces there if you havent noticed are all the old super farms that didnt have to change alot to jump in a bigger class.

Just my 2 cents.

Re: Diesel FWD a sick class August 26, 2012 12:24PM
"PULLING GUY" - if I knew how to cut & paste on here, I would. Your statement of 'the light PS are ALL old SF's' is way off base of actual reality! Yes, several have converted from SF. Thinking of the top of my head without checking lists, so have several from each of Hot Farm (Biehl, Webb, Shafer, etc.), PS (Palmer, Black, etc.), SSD (Wiederhold, Earley). In fact some are completely new tractors built specifically for the NTPA Light PS class such as Zach Howell.
However, I believe each NTPA Limited PS is totally a SF conversion thus far.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,734, Posts: 229,868, Members: 3,333.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,985.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM