Service Temporarily Unavailable August 23, 2012 01:13PM
Its getting real hard to get on here at certain times..I keep getting Service Temporarily Unavailable....Is anyone else getting this message..Its been this way all week..

Error message - Jake August 19, 2012 01:25PM
Been getting this a lot lately when i click on a post. Is it just me?

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Re: Error message - Jake August 19, 2012 01:41PM
It's not just you. Maybe the server that that hosts the site is doing an update or is a bit overloaded. There are probably alto of people checking in to see if there are any updates about Bowling Green.

Chris Watson
Watson Motorsports
Batavia, OH

Re: Error message - Jake August 19, 2012 11:57PM
It happens now and then, but a lot more lately. This last weekend it was all the time. Thought it from too many people on the site, but not at this time of day!!

Re: Error message - Jake August 20, 2012 01:17PM
Yes, it happens to me too. It either happens when there are too many people on the site, or too many people clicking at the exact same time. Sometimes hitting refresh works, and sometimes there are just to many people and nothing works. There are time when traffic is so high that I can't even access the admin tools to try and reboot the server.

The server can only handle so much load (traffic) and it seems that I'm consistently overloaded with viewers. The next upgrade in servers is a drastic price difference so I'm not sure where to go from here yet.

Sorry about the hassle.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Error message - Jake August 20, 2012 01:36PM
Sounds to me like another fundraiser. Let's geter done.

Re: Error message - Jake September 04, 2012 02:20PM
Just wondering what it costs to run this site? And how much would the upgrade cost? I'm sure with the amount of items being sold on here for free people could chip in to help out.

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable August 23, 2012 02:39PM
yes same problem

503 service September 04, 2012 11:25AM
about the last week or so every other thing i clic k on to read says,503 service temporarily unavailable.it only happens on this site,and happenes at any time of day.is anyone else having this problem too....

Re: 503 service September 04, 2012 11:39AM
I'm also having trouble on this site but it's not only this site, I'm also having trouble on other sites. I'm sure it can and will be corrected in time. Morgans do a great job with this and I believe we need to quit complaining and help firgue out what is causing the problem both here and on other sites. Thank you Morgans and I know you and your staff are working on the issue.

Re: 503 service September 04, 2012 12:53PM
its been doing it to me for awhile now

Re: 503 service September 04, 2012 02:13PM
this sucks took 7 tries to read the last post been doing this for well over a week

Re: 503 service September 05, 2012 01:44AM
it sure would be nice if the Morgans would just bow out of this site they obviously cannot afford and turn it over to someone who can afford it and will run it properly.

Re: 503 service September 05, 2012 09:04AM
Sounds like you are volunteering for it then.............otherwise, just be quiet and see if it gets fixed in the near future.

Most of us are quite thankful for this site and all it does for the pulling world, and yes, I've had the same trouble (for the last two weeks) as well, but I will tolerate it until it gets better.

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable September 05, 2012 01:55AM
on home computer it is acting that way a LOT.
Work computer, not so much.
I know I have much better service on the work computer.

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable September 06, 2012 02:54AM
Volunteering? I ll take this site over anytime.

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable September 06, 2012 05:24PM
Volunteering? I ll take this site over anytime.

Take over the payments, as well?

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable September 07, 2012 01:52AM
Everything payments included

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable September 09, 2012 07:11AM
still happening,refresh 1,2,3 times it comes up proper

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable September 09, 2012 12:08PM
It seems to be getting worse. Some times the refresh doesn't help. Wish I knew the answer. Really enjoy this website.

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable September 09, 2012 03:01PM
Dont do it at all on cell phone.

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable September 10, 2012 01:28AM
I'm working with my server company to see what the best solution is. For the time being I'm turning off all the free ads and some of the extra feature on the page to see if that makes a difference. Sorry for the hassle.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 01:31AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable September 10, 2012 02:32AM
I work in IT, and this sure seems like an infrastructure issue with your provider - not a traffic issue. It could be load related, but not necessarily load specifically to this site as I'm sure you share database servers with many other sites who may be seeing spikes.

Unless you have metrics pointing otherwise - I'd lean on them for a fix...

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable September 10, 2012 09:19AM
I'm on a dedicated server. I was forced to move to a dedicated server due to traffic a few years ago.

Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated though...

Thanks

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 09:20AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable September 10, 2012 05:39PM
Jake just to let you know I am in China working an internet connection is not goodbut after about 1 am eastern time I do not seem to get the server error message. before 1 am i get it about every other time i try and open something up

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable September 11, 2012 02:50AM
From what I see in the midwest the pattern correlates to when the number of users would be highest. Evenings and at lunch time are the worst & later at night or odd times of the day are much better. I do have to believe that something changed on the server end though too. Right around BG it suddenly became noticably worse & I'm skeptical that we suddenly had a large increase in traffic that has continued.

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable September 11, 2012 08:48AM
You may be on a dedicated server, BUT if that server is a virtual server (VMware or HyperV) then you share hardware resources with everyone else. It's a good way for the providers to make things scalable and sell "dedicated" servers. Your instance may be dedicated to you, but if you're one server of 50 or a 100 on one piece of hardware it hardly tells the whole story.

Either way, this is load related and not necessarily because of the number of people on the site at any given time. I think with the randomness of the issue I'd be hard pressed to believe it was due to load on this particular site.

My 2 cts.

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable September 11, 2012 09:51AM
No, it's an actual dedicate machine (not a virtual machine). I can reboot it, reload apache, even got to name the server, etc... I can get you the machine specs if you think that might help. Hurricane Electric is the server company I've used for a while now and they've been great to deal with so far.

I was on a virtual host(s) for a while but I seemed to be using too many resources and I kept getting kick off every virtual server. I usually get about 26,000,000 page requests a month and anything beyond that seems to give the 503 error message (for those wondering, I'm not saying I get 26 million unique hits, but rather there are people who click on for sale ads, wanted ads, and threads (each thread on the feedback page is a page request) that many times in a month). There may not be a huge number of followers of this sport, but the ones that do follow pulling are very loyal.

I'm researching different message board systems (like Vbulletin) to see if that might help. I've also notice an increase in spam-bots trolling the page and sending requests to try and post spam on the For Sale and Wanted pages and that's just wasted bandwidth.

I'm no IT guy or programmer; I just stumble my way through this site and learn on the fly so any help is greatly appreciated.

As a side note, now that I turned off all the ads I'm getting the error message much less frequently. As for the issues starting after Bowling Green, personally I've been getting them off and on all summer. They are much worse after a big event, I think the first time I notice the error messages was the week right after Louisville three years ago and the pattern has continued and gotten worse each successive year.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2012 09:57AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable September 11, 2012 11:30PM
If it is a page request issue. Would it help to go to a more standard forum format? Where you click on the thread title and you see all the replies on one page? Instead of clicking 7 seperate threads to see all the replies? I don't know how complex the programming for that is.

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable September 12, 2012 01:55AM
Gotcha... Well we're on the same page then. I hadn't considered the bots because those cause load just like a user... I like the idea posted about going to a format where you click on a thread and from there you see the replies, it allows for more unique threads per page view, but I'm not sure how you'd retain the archived info barring a separate site.

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable September 12, 2012 06:47AM
If you have register and login, you can already view threads like that.

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable September 12, 2012 08:02AM
That's correct, you can view threads in three different ways if you are a registered user:
- All replies on one page ordered chronologically
- All replies on one page threaded
- Each reply separately

Honestly, I couldn't imagine clicking back and forth for each reply, I prefer reading all the replies on one page threaded, it's a huge timesaver. I also couldn't image trying to keep track of what I've read and what I haven't; the "new" flags when I login make it much, much easier to see the new posts.

I'm extremely annoyed by the error messages, but I'm still thankful that the page has become so popular. I hope to figure out a solution soon.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable September 13, 2012 01:46AM
Okay, explain to me how to see a listing of ONLY the thread titles with no responses, then be able to open each thread to see the postings. What I see (logged in or not) is the same, a sprawling page like so:

Service Temporarily Unavailable Question??? 1217 August 23, 2012 02:13PM
Error message - Jake Bullet-fan 1601 August 19, 2012 02:25PM
Re: Error message - Jake supersonic 1129 August 19, 2012 02:41PM
Re: Error message - Jake Lucky 855 August 20, 2012 12:57AM
Re: Error message - Jake Jake Morgan 1491 August 20, 2012 02:17PM
Re: Error message - Jake pulloff supporter 695 August 20, 2012 02:36PM
Re: Error message - Jake Big Block Deere 326 September 04, 2012 03:20PM
Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable Charlie 530 August 23, 2012 03:39PM
503 service patches 477 September 04, 2012 12:25PM
Re: 503 service farmall puller 379 September 04, 2012 12:39PM
Re: 503 service Sully 332 September 04, 2012 01:53PM
Re: 503 service chris 288 September 04, 2012 03:13PM
Re: 503 service . 259 September 05, 2012 02:44AM
Re: 503 service FarmersFun 227 September 05, 2012 10:04AM

Re: Service Temporarily Unavailable September 13, 2012 11:33AM
From the FAQ page:
http://www.pulloff.com/phorum/read.php?17,78981#single_read

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,736, Posts: 229,871, Members: 3,333.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,986.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM