Cummins in a Superfarm August 24, 2012 03:40AM
Been kicking around the idea of building a superfarm that is something other than red or green. Was thinking about the potential in using an 8.3 Cummins as a base unit to start with for the motor but have some questions about using one for those who might know more. Im thinking 8.3 over 9.0 for the cost reason. I have been told that the blocks in these are weak and break easily. Is this true and can they be girdled hold? Will a 9.0 crank swing in this block? Can this block/crank be stretched to 640ci without costing the farm? Has anyone made a really serious attempt at trying to make big HP numbers with one? If so who?

Re: Cummins in a Superfarm August 24, 2012 04:31AM
I don't know how big the ponies are but I know that the 9.0 crank swings in the 8.3 block. Therefore making 630+ cubes. The only one I know of in superfarm is Eddie Kerr, he replaced the 3208. Can't speak for block strength and integrity but the bottom end looks really stout.

Re: Cummins in a Superfarm August 24, 2012 06:33AM
Yes it can be done. Cheap? Not a chance. I have one and its a money pit. Everything is custom one off stuff because theres just no one building parts for them. Ol georges 630 figure is off a hair.

Re: Cummins in a Superfarm August 24, 2012 07:40AM
Sled sports do you have some contact info? I would like to talk to you some on it.

Re: Cummins in a Superfarm August 24, 2012 09:23AM
8.3 and 9.0 are the same engine just diff cranks. The 9.0 was designed specifically for the bus market. If I remember coreectly they never made a mechanical 9.0. And I think they are about 540 cubes

Re: Cummins in a Superfarm August 24, 2012 09:41AM
Hey sled sports. I thought you ran in a 585 CID max class. If you have a 8.3 with a 9.0 crank in it like you say above would'nt that make you over the CID allowd. And you said it was only a 505. LOL

Re: Cummins in a Superfarm August 24, 2012 01:53PM
Ours is an 8.3 crank. I never once said ours had one in it. Whip out the 500 and see for yourself. I need the cash lol

Re: Cummins in a Superfarm August 24, 2012 02:41PM
sled sports
Yes it can be done. Cheap? Not a chance. I have one and its a money pit. Everything is custom one off stuff because theres just no one building parts for them. Ol georges 630 figure is off a hair.
Maybe read it again. The topic of discussion is 8.3 with 9.0 crank. Then you type ( I have one and its a money pit ). The man did'nt ask about a 8.3 with stock CID. I would read this as a admission of guilt as to being over CID! So I dont need to protest as you have cleared it up all by yourself for all eyes to see. Maybe you should ask for your statment to be deleted before your other fellow pullers can see this. We all make slips like this when we try to hide things. Even if your only trying to win a $20.00 jacket.

Re: Cummins in a Superfarm August 24, 2012 02:50PM
red runner
sled sports
Maybe read it again. The topic of discussion is 8.3 with 9.0 crank. Then you type ( I have one and its a money pit ). The man did'nt ask about a 8.3 with stock CID. I would read this as a admission of guilt as to being over CID! So I dont need to protest as you have cleared it up all by yourself for all eyes to see. Maybe you should ask for your statment to be deleted before your other fellow pullers can see this. We all make slips like this when we try to hide things. Even if your only trying to win a $20.00 jacket.
Maybe red runner needs to go back to school. Even if he his running a 9 L crank it still is only 540 cid. So is he cheating? You got all the answers red runner? Get your numbers down on paper and figure it up before your to quick pull the trigger.

Re: Cummins in a Superfarm August 24, 2012 02:50PM
Even if he did have a 9 crank in an 83 it would still only be a 540. 83 and 9 are the same bore even the same block. The 9 was released to the urban bus market in early 2000s bc they tried the 83 and it was a flop. In all reality the early 9s were the exact same engine as the 83 with a different name then down the road they stroked it for a little more power to push those fat busses around.

Re: Cummins in a Superfarm August 24, 2012 03:03PM
Dear Idiot (AKA redrunner);
Even if he did put a 9.0 crank in it still doesn't tell you the cubes. You can sleeve a motor and put in smaller pistons and a stroker cranks and still have the exact same cubes as stock. Before you spout off about your 'expertise' on someone else's setup please learn how to measure someone elses bore AND stroke. not everyone runs the same combination for bore and stroke. some want rpm's and some want torque and some (you) just don't have a clue about someone else's setup.

Re: Cummins in a Superfarm August 24, 2012 02:57PM
sled sports

Does anywhere in this statement does it say "I have a 9 liter crank in my 8.3 liter block" ?

Re: Cummins in a Superfarm August 24, 2012 04:00PM
Sled sports I would like to thank you for responding with some info before the thread got hijacked. My thoughts were using a 9.0 crank and then moving up the bore to get to someplace close to 640ci. Can you tell me if I can get a 4.875 bore in that block? Or do you think will it get to thin? Every pulling tractor is a money pit and I wouldn't expect it to be cheap. I wouldnt begin to try it without billet rods, pistons, cam and all the other goodies. What has been the biggest pain for you to hold it together and make power? Thanks in advance.

Re: Cummins in a Superfarm August 24, 2012 04:08PM
An 8.3L & 9.0L aren't the same block... better look again.

Re: Cummins in a Superfarm August 24, 2012 04:19PM
Actually yes then new isc and isl use the same block. When the 8.3 went to common rail fuel system it went to a roller lifter and the blocks are the exact same. The old c 8.3 is a different block sorry forgot to put that in there.

4.875 Is not a problem, ISC and ISL ARE NOTthe SAME! August 25, 2012 07:48AM
4.875 Bore is not a problem in either the 8.3 or 8.9 block. The 8.9 Crank comes with a 5.69 stroke give that a 4.875 bore and you are at 637 Cubic inches. The 8.3 ISC and 8.9 ISL ARE NOT THE SAME!!! They both have 24 valve heads, but only one has the roller cam and that is the 8.9 Litre ISL. The lifters in it are a little over 1.25" in diameter. You can see a huge difference in the two just by comparing the head gaskets. On the 8.9 the lifter holes are farther away from the bore of the piston. Alot of other differences that I need not be gone into now, but going to a 4.875 bore is no problem. We have a 4.75 bore in ours and have plenty of meat in the sleeves and barely had to kiss the walls to go to a larger bore.

Re: 4.875 Is not a problem, ISC and ISL ARE NOTthe SAME! August 25, 2012 09:12AM
Yeah Yantes you are wrong. Current production ISC/QSC/ISL/QSL all use the same block. The pistons, crank and rods are diffrent but everything else is the same. All ISL/QSL were roller cam motor. Early blocks have smaller diameter lifters. 8.3l or C series pre 24V are all flat tappet blocks and are diffrent blocks entirely. Early ISC blocks are also flat tappet but are cast more like ISL blocks than the 8.3L C blocks. I don't think any ISC roller blocks ever used the small roller lifters though so all those blocks would be ISl. I could be wrong about that though but I doubt it. The midstop cylinder liners are a great design with many benifits but I doubt they lend themselves well to fire ringing in the conventional manner so getting a head to hold might be a problem. Beyond that I see no reason they couldn't make 1500hp on stock parts so a superfarm should be fine. Personaly I think making a 540 limited pro out of one would be better suited though.

ISM motor? August 25, 2012 01:29PM
KTA, you're wrong in your last statement. 540 is the Light PS, not "Limited". Thus, Limited is 640, not "540". Sure is a lot of confusion out there about what cubes constitutes each of these new PS classes. Announcers seem to be the worst group to try to get to understand this! To me, Light is synonomous with 540 and Limited meaning limited to 640 rather than 680 like their bigger brother, the true PS.

I love the ISM 24 valve motor in our dump trucks. Where does that motor fit in relation to this discussion of ISI and ISL motors?

Re: ISM motor? August 26, 2012 02:49AM
what brand of tractor could you run that cummins in? did any of them come with a 12v head?

Re: ISM motor? August 26, 2012 08:14AM
White was the first that I know about but others later followed. This engine has a lot of potential with 637 CI not a problem.As far as cost goes, just depends on how far and how much you want to spend.We are pleased with ours, just wish we had switched a couple of years earlier.

Re: ISM motor? August 26, 2012 08:31AM
White used an ISM motor? I think you are actually talking about the old 8.3L C series as white was out of business before any of the ISwhatever motors were built. As to the question about the ISM they are a real nice motor pretty much like a baby K series engine. At 660cid it would only be prostock material in stock format but I don't think that engine family has ever been used in any tractor but the case/steiger 4wd.

Re: ISM motor? August 26, 2012 12:18PM
KTA your correct. I was referring to the 8.3 and not the later ISM series engine. Did not pay any attention to the subject line. We do use the latter series ISL block for the connvience of the roller lifters just like a lot of the IH guys use the newer truck blocks for the same benefit. The 12 valve head will bolt right on the ISL block with alittle massaging the pushrod holes for clearance. As far as sealing we have not had any trouble since Schield installed our sleeves in the block.

Eddie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2012 12:45PM by EKERR.

Re: ISM motor? August 26, 2012 04:04PM
Eddie Kerr, could you post your email address?

Thanks!

Re: ISM motor? August 27, 2012 01:09AM
eddie@midstateinsurance.com

Re: ISM motor? August 26, 2012 08:23AM
dumper
KTA, you're wrong in your last statement. 540 is the Light PS, not "Limited". Thus, Limited is 640, not "540". Sure is a lot of confusion out there about what cubes constitutes each of these new PS classes. Announcers seem to be the worst group to try to get to understand this! To me, Light is synonomous with 540 and Limited meaning limited to 640 rather than 680 like their bigger brother, the true PS.

I love the ISM 24 valve motor in our dump trucks. Where does that motor fit in relation to this discussion of ISI and ISL motors?
The problem is it depends on where you are from. Not all pulling orgs adhere to NTPA rules. Here in Ky there is a 540 8500lb limitet Pro class. Some places even run 540 with 4.1 limited pro. Its just lke here Hot farms are 10000lb and 3000rpm 466 and pro farms are 8500lb unlimited rpm 466, other places the class names are the other way around. It would be nice if it was more standardized in the nameing but its not.

Re: ISM motor? August 27, 2012 03:33AM
It wont produce as much torque, which is what superfarm is all about.

Re: ISM motor? August 27, 2012 03:58AM
How much torque does it take to pull a hay rake or a turd hearse?
Is it torque or horsepower that makes the smoke blow higher than the roll cage?
The SF has neither, since the SF competitors spend so much time cleaning off their roll cages from the diesel smoke that get on them, some even have tear off's on their helmet shields so they can see going down the track!
Firestone, Firestone, Fires,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Re: ISM motor? August 27, 2012 05:56AM
So what kind of tractor do you pull, Mr. Interesting?

Complete 9L for sale August 27, 2012 04:13AM
I have a complete low hour 9L cummins for sale or possoble trade. Email if interested. Kvandeweert@ymail.com

Re: Complete 9L for sale August 27, 2012 06:56AM
Hi jacked dead horse thread. Quit beating it to death.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,774, Posts: 229,941, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,029.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009