IH tractor final drive ratio with Planetary rearend? September 04, 2012 12:58PM
Havin a hell of a time calculating the gear changes needed to fit a planetary rearend into a 466 open rpm p-pump class with a 3x3 charger. Here are the details:
16-49 ring and pinion nets a 3.06:1 ratio
Bull gear reduction is from 30 teeth drive to 56 teeth driven neting a 1.87:1 ratio
Outboard planetaries are 18 teeth drive and 72 around the outside netting a 5:1 ratio

Considering the ring and pinion, the bull gear assembly, and the 5:1 planetaries, I would net a final drive ratio of roughly 28.6:1 in direct (3rd gear in the 1566/1586 transmission)

If this correct, direct drive is no good to me. My objective gearing is in the 20:1 and 19:1 final drive ratios. If I put my extra set of 35/38 constant mesh gears up front to speed things up, what tooth counts should I install in the 1st and 2nd slot to get my two desired pulling speeds. Seems to me direct wont be good for anything but loading in the low range. Any real help will be greatly appreciated. Any keyboard jockeys can laugh now, and cry when I beat you later. Thanks.

Re: IH tractor final drive ratio with Planetary rearend? September 04, 2012 02:05PM
Seems to me, I need to come up with the right gears that will create an overdrive transmission in the 30 to 35% range. Like a .7 input turns to 1 output turn. that would net a final drive of 20:1.

Likewise, a .68 rotation on the input to 1 full turn of the output would net roughly a 19.5:1 ratio.

I have a new set of 35-38 constant mesh gears left over from an old chassis, and would like to use them.

Anyone ever have Allied or Atlas build 3 speed gears for them? They do plenty of work on the 4 speeds, but the ones I will have to make are quite different.

Re: IH tractor final drive ratio with Planetary rearend? September 04, 2012 11:37PM
why dont you drop your planetarys and bull gears off and put a 1066 style axle on it.yes you can do that i have done it.not sure what gear that gives you but it might work.

Re: IH tractor final drive ratio with Planetary rearend? September 05, 2012 10:20AM
The point is to build a 1566. That is the whole point of this project! I understand that it is going to cost a little more than normal, and parts always have to be custom made, but thats really the look I am going for with this one. I cant just call up Pobar, or Dave Pfund or any of the other exceptional builders out there and have them send me what I need. It must be different, unique, and obvious.

Karl from Atlas is excited to join the project. After a nice chat this morning on the phone we established plans on building the necessary gears for the transmission to make the impossible possible. Well---- Until it blows up anyways! Just need to figure out how to keep the bearings in the main drive line well lubed! Consider an engine turning 3500 down the track pulling an overdrive tranny behind it that adds 30% and your pinion shaft is really turning! Perhaps there are upgraded bearings that I could use while assembling the tranny to give it better life?

Re: IH tractor final drive ratio with Planetary rearend? September 05, 2012 11:37AM
sorry man. was just offering a different point of view

Re: IH tractor final drive ratio with Planetary rearend? September 05, 2012 01:11PM
I am working on 1566. Got under 10000 lb needs more gear. I may go to a 9 or 1066 rearend I have been told 966 has faster gears

Re: IH tractor final drive ratio with Planetary rearend? September 05, 2012 02:23PM
I know IH aren't built as heavy as Deere but 4440's and 50's overdrive 27% to the top shaft and then in road gear they overdrive again like 7% so they are about 35% over on the pinion stock so if you have oil in it I think it will be fine without worrying about speeds of your bearings. With final drives it should actualy end up a stronger trans than a regular binder, but those bull gears might end up a weak link. I can't say as I have no experience with them.

Re: IH tractor final drive ratio with Planetary rearend? September 05, 2012 11:23PM
Why don't you just convert it to roller chain finals like an old F-20 ??? makes just as much sense.

Re: IH tractor final drive ratio with Planetary rearend? September 06, 2012 08:06AM
ive got a real dumb question here,please dont take this as a jab but a serious question.i dcant really say ive ever seen a "real" 1566,so i looked on some various for sale adds to find what the different appearance of that model is.the pics that i seen all seem to have a standard tractor axle,and they all look to be just like a ordinary 66 series tractor.is the 1566 larger than a 966-1466,as a 6030 resembles a 4010 but is just a bigger proportioned tractor.this sounds dumb but im quite intrigued by this diffeent appearance you mention......

Re: IH tractor final drive ratio with Planetary rearend? September 06, 2012 08:16AM
I believe a 1566 was the only TWD IH of that series to have a true planetary final drive set, instead of the bull gear set up that the 766-1466 had. Came with a 436 engine as well I think. Mostly dimensionally the same as the other 66 series in appearance. If this is incorrect, I'm sure someone will correct me soon enough.

Re: IH tractor final drive ratio with Planetary rearend? September 06, 2012 12:09PM
They were the largest two wheel drive that IH made in the 66 series. Often you will still find them in heavy tillage applications on small to average sized farms around the midwest. They were designed to handle the ever increasing horsepower demands by integrating an outboard planetary. When you walk up behind one, you'll recognize the difference. She's got dumps like a truck---- So the younger generation would say. Very large rearend. People dismiss them due to weight, as many out in the field weigh roughly 16,500 lbs with full fluid in 20.8 tires. Mine used to pull 8000 superstock with twin turbos, factory radiator support and all steel body. With a full fiberglass skirt on, and a single 3x3 on top of a 466, it weight right around 7500 lbs. Esdon did the wide front and Jason Snyder from Ohio (Firefarm) did the roll cage bending. The rest of the chassis is an in-house design. I dont believe the minimal weight that the planetaries have added are going to hurt me in a 10,000 lbs class. 2500lbs of moveable weight is pretty decent considering where the tractor started out at. With proper gearing, I believe it will be as competative as the next tractor. Just something different to look at.

Re: IH tractor final drive ratio with Planetary rearend? September 06, 2012 01:02PM
I don't know the IH setup but I know gearing and I assume on the constant mesh you have 35 on the intput and 38 on the countershaft for the constant mesh gears. That being the case The closest you can get using the same gear pitch on the teeth as the constant meash gears is a 45T on the counter turning a 28T on the top shaft that nets a 20.46final. Then one tooth over gives 29T on the countershaft and 44T on the top for a 19.31final. Hopefully this agrees with what you figured. Question is there enough room to fit a 45T gear on the countershaft or will it be hanging out of the case from excess diameter? Hope this helps. If you need some custom machine work on this project I might be able to help too.
Brian

Re: IH tractor final drive ratio with Planetary rearend? September 06, 2012 01:19PM
The factory constant mesh gears are 28-45, so I know there is room in front. I will take a look at the case, and make sure that there is a consistent amount of space all the way back towards the first gear position.

Re: IH tractor final drive ratio with Planetary rearend? September 07, 2012 03:24AM
Then maybe with some machine work you can use your factory constant mesh in one of the gear slots to get your slow overdrive. Then you only need to have one gear set made to get your faster overdrive. This might be an easier project than you thought! :-)

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,768, Posts: 229,934, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,025.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009