What LSS Could Be.... September 19, 2012 07:01PM
As the LSS Class has evolved, It is easy to look in the past and say "if we only would have done this" or "If we would have done that" but in reality, this is where the sport has brought us.

With that being said, no matter how the circumstances have come to pass, that does not mean that it is the best situation for the class to thrive.

So....If you were a Puller at some point that had interest in pulling a LSS tractor, or anyone that had constructive deas....How would you like to see the class structured / restructured, with the goal of having a class that moves forward and thrives with stability in numbers long term.

Please be realistic and keep in mind where the class is now as far as weight, technology etc.

As a side note for all the people that think we (V-8 guys) did nothing to support our cause by not attending the meeting at Enderle. I talked with a majority of the V-8 guys and we submitted a letter to Gregg Randall, who was kind enough to make copies for all the board / committee members, to hear our side.

I have it on good authority, that after the pull in Sandwich, that outlawing V-8's was already a done deal.

But that is the Past......Here is a few of my ideas:

All current fuels allowed

All inline 6 & V-8 engines allowed, or any other configuration that came in a 2WD Tractor

Cubic inch limit of 505ci

All alcohol tractors weigh 6200lbs, diesels at 6400-6500lbs for starters (perhaps there is a weight consideration for cast head alcohol tractors)

Hitch height 20" for Diesels and maybe 18 or 19" for Alcohol tractors...Not sure it would be needed, but If it did, it might not be so bad as this may give alky tractors better, safer front end control, yielding equal or better distances...just a thought.

Diesel tractors may run 4 turbos with no limit on turbo size...Alcohol limited to 3 turbos and perhaps a pre-determined inlet size of top chargers.

Most importantly, All class limits can be changed / tweaked to allow fair competition and not divide the class....Seems like almost all other classes do this, except for the Super Stock classes.

I think it is imperative to enable the diesel tractors to have a level playing field to compete against alcohol tractors.

Perhaps this scenario only makes sense on the State and Regional level...

Here is another thought...As the limited Pro-Stock class gains popularity, it may drive a lot of guys out of Super arm...Yes, many may turn them into limited Pro's, but some of these guys may want to try something different and run as diesel LSS maybe.

I don't know, but let's hear your thoughts. There may be some current LSS Pullers out there that won't voice their opinions on here, because they don't want to offend some of their friends / fellow pullers.

If that is the case, please post anonymously if you need to....This is a platform to be used as a sounding board to take the initial steps to let others know what your are thinking and ultimately get something done.

This class is comprised of pullers on all levels who have a voice, not by just a few Pre-Commited pullers who decide your fate.

Dan Dunham

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2012 07:32PM by Dan - PullingDepot.

Re: What LSS Could Be.... September 19, 2012 08:02PM
If anyone would be interested in competing in a LSS class along these lines or if you have ideas of your own, but do not wish to share them on here for whatever reason, please send an email to LSSReform@gmail.com

If we are even going to attempt to make any changes, we need to get the ball rolling and are going to have to start putting together a list of names to show support of any changes we would like to see to NTPA or any sanctioning body or promoters. especially.

Please email LSSReform@gmail.com with the following if you can, whether you currently have one, are building, thinking about building, or just have some ideas:

Name:
Make & Model of Tractor:
Fuel Type:
No.# of Cylinders:
Any Other Info You Feel is Relevant:
Phone Number if you want:

I will post this on a few other websites, but let others know if they don't get on the Internet much....Thanks

Dan Dunham

Re: What LSS Could Be.... September 19, 2012 11:55PM
Dan,

This really seems to be a touchy issue with folks, and I am glad to see a bunch of concern for the well being of the class, so Im gonna give you some insight from the GN level guys running the class, and why we feel the way we do. Everyone needs to remeber, state pulling and GN pulling are two completely different deals, and the states could rule to allow per organization to allow V8's in the class if the members wanted it. The thing that hurt LSS GN the most was, it was and is too good for its own well being, NTPA plain overbooked it, and I fear both organizations will creep back that way soon. Most of the promoters want the class, good color, exciting show, when the freekin sled is right, and good numbers, and use to be a mix of smoke and alkys. I think most pullers and fans in general have no understanding how hard we are running these tractors. 100 psi + boost, 1200+ deg 6000-7000 rpm, we are starting to reach some of the limits of what can be done with the blocks and cranks and stuff we have, I dont mean every brand, but some like the Fords and the Allis, is reaching the limit of the parts available.And here is the kicker, even if you can afford the parts when can you get them, buddy of mine just got a set of rods he waited a year for! Mike Chizek is beating all of us right now, because his team is doing the best job, his budget and Terry Blackbourn backing him up on mechanics is gonna be hard to beat, and then he also has 2 Tractors, another huge advantage, I have seen that second shot at the track gain him 20+ feet! But the Fords dominated for a while too, and everyone thought they couldnt be beat! Again I am not for banning V8's I think surely some other comprimise would work but I had no say in the deal, and if thats the way the vote went then so be it. I dont believe that LSS will never see a V8, build them, run them were you can, change may come. The current competitors are running so hard now, spending a bunch of money and even worse time to work on these rigs, I just dont think they can see building a new more expensive combination to figure out! I believe you are correct some balance needs to be struck, I think maybe a lower CI limit for V8's, but they would need to be checked as do all tractors in the class, we have a limit it needs to be inforced! And Esdohn Lehn more than proved a grease burner can run with the Alkys, the weight needs to be 6200 heads up!

BB

Re: What LSS Could Be.... September 20, 2012 02:42AM
That's why he put a 3 bar cage on and put in the heavy. I have talked to him and even he said he wasn't going to be able to keep up with the ingnition advances. He made a good run at it and that was 2011. The alkys didn't just sit on their hands for 2012.

Part of the problem too, is on tracks that are less desirable out of the hole alkys have the ability to pedal it better.

That's just the nature of the beast but it does pose a problem.

The current rules do not promote a mix of fuels. (I am not saying it has to either)

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

www.truck-specialties.com

Schaeffer Oil Representative

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2012 02:55AM by AV.

Re: What LSS Could Be.... September 20, 2012 04:01AM
Great post Bob....Agree for the most part.........We are going to continue to build the V-8 and hopefully can run in Wisconsin next year and go from there. I know to some it seemed like an aggressive approach, but that was certainly not the intention, but it does give people a little bit of an idea how it could be and plant some seeds for the future....

Just looking out for the future of the class...Sorry for stepping on any toes

Dan Dunham

Re: What LSS Could Be.... September 20, 2012 04:02AM
It would have been nice to see the all of Alcohol tractors stopped at 505 ci push rod heads and the SS Diesel stopped at 540 push rod heads . No OSS and then we all could have a potential of running two weight classes again instead of running around one hook at a show . ( I know it's a little late for that now ) george

Re: What LSS Could Be.... September 21, 2012 03:13AM

Hi,
What if... instead of banning V8's, they were to ban alcohol?
With today's technology, could a gasoline fueled engine run with a diesel?
With the high tech, high octane racing gas that is available, and computerized/electronic ignitions, water injection, etc., could a gas engine be made to run competitively?
Just wondering...
After all, farm tractors were made to run on everything from kerosene, to distillate, to LP, gasoline, and diesel, but I don't remember any being powered with alcohol. Grinning
And no, I'm not just trying to stir the pot.
I'm just wondering if anyone in recent years has done any research/testing with gasoline and if it is still a dead end.

Later .......

Re: What LSS Could Be.... September 24, 2012 08:54AM
If you don't have 10 minutes to read, don't start, I wrote an encyclopedia.

I've been sitting on the sidelines watching these threads since last weekend (Enderle weekend) and have fought with what I could say, a lot of type....type....type.....%*&*%%&!!....delete....delete....delete going on the keyboard when I've had a chance to look at the LSS V8 threads.

I have honestly tried to look at this from all of the points of view here, and the one thought I have that rises above the rest is the lack of physical, personal interaction that could have taken place at the meetings following the Enderle. Make no mistake, if I have a dog in the fight and if I've spent 1000 or 100,000 on him, I'm gonna be there to watch him bleed. At a minimum have someone there to represent me in an effective manner.

I understand the rationale for keeping a V8 out of LSS. 505 CID is 505 CID, but 8 intake and exhaust ports are better than 6. More air, more fuel, more power. The argument is that no one's gotten a V8 to hold together, especially a V8 out of 2WD tractor. My thought is that many of us that look at this board would have never thought we'd never see anything other than an IH or Deere win in DSS, let alone 5 GN titles. That simply goes to show that rather than looking at a block as a weakness there is opportunity to show creativity in making it last. If a 426 can live in DSS, a de-cubed 3208 or 640 Perkins can definitely be made to run. Only separating that from theory and reality is time, opportunity, and captial--financial and intellectual. If it can be imagined, it can most likely be done.

So here we are, with a rule that has been passed, with no grey area, a truly black and white rule, before...and I repeat that...before a V8 LSS follows a complete National schedule. If you look at the history of motorsports that's really a pretty good deal. In the late eighties Buddy Ingersoll was running a turbo Buick, competing in NHRA's Comp Eliminator. He then got the opportunity to run in the IHRA Pro Stock with the 700+ CID engines of the time, beating away at it with a stock block and at one point running twins with stock intercoolers. by the time he had gotten to the Bristol race he had worked out a lot of the bugs in the setup and got into the finals vs. Bob Glidden. While a clutch problem was likely the reason he didn't win it became apparent to the mountain motor guys, (the name Rickie Smith keeps coming up though he never publicly acknowledged he led the charge) that the 231 with chargers was about to put a hurtin' on them, so to speak. So, without ever winning an event, the IHRA banned Ingersoll and sent him back into the NHRA ranks. While that move was one of the more political and financially based decisions made ever in motorsports (Ford was putting money into IHRA and running exotic stuff; getting beat by a Buick with a block off the shelf would not have looked good) it makes what's happened in the NTPA far less offensive. Can you imagine the backlash if someone got the call from the NTPA, paraphrasing here, "thanks for playing for the first half of the year, we're banning you now. have a nice day." Talk about being as welcomed as a turd in the punchbowl...

In its' own warped and twisted way, this move will prove to be a good one down the road. The pullers who play at the top of the class are having to spend buckets full of cash to run like they do. A well-financed and executed V8 program would send several pullers down PPL tracks and to the NTPA state events of their choice. The pullers who are really in the crosshairs, the ones who have spent countless hours running a breakneck and convoluted schedule on the GN circuit don't need to have one more reason to stop investing countless hours and miles. Im pretty sure that theres some tractors from up north that drew that line in the sand because of that already. This keeps the scant number of guys that are running GN on the GN schedule.

I don't think anyone who makes a criticism should ever leave a comment without offering a solution. My thought is this: if there are really and truly 10 of these tractors in process or running (I count around 6 existing, could be more) get them built. Run OSS, the whole schedule. Show up early to events, offer to display your vehicle beforehand at local businesses, hand out fan cards, kiss youngun's and grandmammas if you have to. If the schedule doesn't wear you out, submit an item of business to have your own class to voted on the meeting. Get it discussed, be proactive rather than reactive. None of this is easy in a financial, mechanical, physical, or mental manner. Im violating my own rule to not spend other peoples money but I have to illustrate a solution. There is no one puller or class that you cannot replace, but you can sure make it hard to pick up your slack in this scenario.

And to "wicked": see the attached photos. Please don't insult guys with M's and Super M's, they're playing a man's game in antique pulling! That's an offset bore on top and a billet crank on the bottom side, Division 3 engine, well north of 350 cubes--20 year old or older tech, it ain't! I do agree with you on the everybody wins/gets a ribbon/sings koom-by-yah, no place for that!

Since there a huge number of I's typed here, this isn't gospel. It's borne from windshield time and as valuable as an empty beer can, probably less. Congratulations for making it to the end of this mess.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

limits to big September 21, 2012 07:27PM
Fix for the class? Take the current light supers and put them against the current diesel ss class with whatever weight would balance the two, then you could have a diesel alky battle again, that sells tickets too the stands light super should be 400 cube type class 5800 lbs it seems ntpa is allergic to having a " smallblock" tractor class, which with the popularity of the 5.9 cummins and the llss type classes , they are missing the boat on a huge potential draw

Re: limits to big September 22, 2012 02:23PM
I said that same thing about 4 years ago to a group that I pull with now. But wait, where would the 505 MM pull?

Re: limits to big September 23, 2012 03:48AM
Here is an idea 4500lbs 350 cubes. Bring back the wards and supper M farmalls. Just an idea since U guys seem to want change a good class back 20 years. Good luck selling that to county fair or a state fair. My other idea is called no tractor left behind and it involves not keeping distances and everybody gets first place. It just seems u guys don't like good compition.

Re: limits to big September 23, 2012 02:21PM
What the heck is a Supper M Farmall?

Re: limits to big September 23, 2012 03:15PM
Well, that was intelligent and witty! Now how bout you share with the class an actual valid reason that a small block class would be a bad thing?

Re: limits to big September 24, 2012 11:00AM
The crowd likes 70 mph wheel speed and three thousand horse. good luck doing that with a small block. It would take more money to make that happen, so it is just easier to start with bigger cubes. if the crowd's not happy there won't be any pulls.

Re: limits to big September 24, 2012 02:54PM
Now wait. I thought the crowed wanted to see numbers.

Re: limits to big September 25, 2012 03:17AM
So if thats the case, explain the love for superfarm? If you had a 5500 lb class, and I don't mean llss here, 5500 lbs components allowed, 400 cube diesel and 360 alky, 3 or 4 charger limit, no decubing of motors, you would have a lot of iron and a good show , a small block in example the cummins will make 2000 hp, at 5500 lbs you will have wheel speed, and actual track speed . I'm sure there are a lot of guys who would get into a class like that. The 5.9 is the small block version of an ih 466 when it comes to aftermarket parts availability

Re: What LSS Could Be.... September 23, 2012 02:54PM
The diesel tractors are the ones that I like, but I am not the only one that dose not like the current setup. A friend and I went to the Sandwich evening session and the most disappointing class all night was the LSS. If a tractor was sold by a maker with a V8 fine but I don't know of any Deere's with V8s and the only IH tractors with V8 were the 68 series. Make the tractors somewhat resemble real tractors. I like the tractors to have ag a chassis and a matching or direct replacement engine. A 903 on a tube chassis with a profab tranny and truck differential dose not make think tractor

Re: What LSS Could Be.... September 23, 2012 03:04PM
I am a good friend and competitor of you guys and have been in the field so I have not kept up much with what has been going on. What happened at Sandwich?

Re: What LSS Could Be.... September 23, 2012 03:18PM
Nothing special really happened there that is the point in my mind. I just don't like the way the class is starting to look it has gone from what i thought was the best or one of the best to watch to a mod class with farm tin work.

Re: What LSS Could Be.... September 23, 2012 03:38PM
LSS was not at Sandwich. Way to pay attention.

Re: What LSS Could Be.... September 24, 2012 02:49PM
sorry what I was talking about was the open SS class not LSS

Re: What LSS Could Be.... September 27, 2012 03:04AM
Although I am not in agreement with banning progression, after reading so many posts on this topic, I have two things I want to mention.

1. Congratulations to the NTPA for having at least one rule the same as PPL. Maybe we need more. PPL's rule book change under #2B for 2012 is that "V-8 engine are not permitted." Maybe we can get more of these rules to coincide between both organizations to help grow the sport and arguably one of the most exciting classes in all of tractor pulling. Like I said, I am not a fan of banning to get there though. Intelligence, trial/error, effort, blood, sweat, and tears is what has developed all of man kind and technology to where we are today.

2. A person almost had to know this was coming if one "block" began winning; although we understand there is no dominance and there never has been. But NTPA can kick themselves in the rear for having to "protect" because of their oh so popular "any block" rule they put in place. If they would have kept the block as stock or recognized replacement, this discussion would not be going on right now.

I have no dog in the fight, just a fan who really appreciates what the pullers do for us as fans. I tend to be one that does not want to see the tractor classes become "cookie cutters" like many other forms of motorsports. And yes, I reserve the right to my humble opinion and be completely incorrect in the information I have provided above, being completely accepting of any criticism directed my way. Smiling

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009