who built this crank? September 29, 2012 12:37AM

Re: who built this crank? September 29, 2012 12:07PM
is that for real? doubt it will hold much horsepower as it appears to be made out of many pieces and pinned together? but the I could wrong?

Re: who built this crank? September 29, 2012 01:50PM
Somebody obviously hasn't heard of counterweights!!!!

Re: who built this crank? September 29, 2012 02:37PM
Is that a Farmall block? Might figure they don't need counterweights at low RPM. Someone was making multi-piece cranks for garden tractors for awhile too, they seemed to survive OK but now that they came out with forged cranks that are more affordable, I think this practice has gone the way of the dodo bird.

Re: who built this crank? September 29, 2012 02:42PM
the multi piece g-t cranks are still a verey good crank.the counterweights are bolted onto the main piece.that design is here to stay.the forged versions are of a limited stroke selection.many of the 3-piece designs are ran in the 7500-9000 rpm range every weekend...

Re: who built this crank? September 29, 2012 03:31PM
I was referring to the multi-piece cranks that Dave Woods from OH (I believe) was using. I am told the PTO side shaft, flywheel side shaft, crankpin, and the two crank throws were all machined invididually, then welded together. I am not sure if the counterweights were included on the throws in that case, or if they still bolted on like a Vogel/Lakota/MSC crank.

BTW this is all from what someone else told me, I haven't seen one personally, so don't take any of this as the undisputed truth.

Re: who built this crank? September 30, 2012 10:19PM
I dont think it is pinned together. It looks like plugs where they drilled for oil holes in the crank.

Re: who built this crank? September 30, 2012 11:51PM
Actually, looks like set screws holding the throws to a hex shaft to me.

Re: who built this crank? October 01, 2012 12:59AM
Look how the center main has been reinforce.

Re: who built this crank? October 01, 2012 01:12AM
The outline of a hex shaft can be clearly seen on the inside of the #4 rod throw, left of picture.

Re: who built this crank? October 01, 2012 03:09AM
Think this is G-Tool crank. Ryan has made several like this they work better than stock. Think he has some running in the 10 pro also.

Re: who built this crank? October 01, 2012 07:19AM
Since I was the one who took the photo, Im not 100% sure who built the crank itself nor a HP number, they're being built because the stock stroked crank isnt strong enough obviously; it is for a NATPA-style engine. Farmall, Im not going to quote the exact CID on the finished product (over 500) but this engine has been spinning on a M now for 2 years. Photos don't do this piece justice. Sorry to be vague, I was allowed to use the photo as I wished but I'm not going to quote exacr numbers I dont have on hand. The point in me showing it was there seemed to be a jibe that antique pullers weren't using top-notch stuff (stuck in the past) and it is creativity like this that easily dismisses that notion. The shell may be more than 55 years old but the innards are clearly a forward thought!

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: who built this crank? October 01, 2012 10:52AM
Hello, G Tool built this crank for me. I have used several both 3 & 5 main versions. They very in stroke from 7 to 8". I have both counter weighted and non counter weighted versions. They are doweled, heat shrunk together, and either a set screw or counter weights to secure dowels. This style crank can be taken apart and repaired if needed. Gary Baker (Baker Engines)

Re: who built this crank? October 01, 2012 11:46AM
Ok thanks Gary was wondering what your number is I would like to talk to you about my current crank problems

Re: who built this crank? October 01, 2012 12:58PM
6 Cylinder puller, you can call me most anytime seven three four six seven eight nine six eight eight

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,957, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,040.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009