Winch Recommendation October 06, 2012 03:08AM
Looking for a winch recommendations for a Winch to mount outside under the front step in a step van semi trailer to run the cable through the step the length of the trailer to load a modified.
I want a wireless remote with it not a wired.

Re: Winch Recommendation October 06, 2012 09:30AM
I wound up with a MileMarker hydraulic winch on my trailer. Runs off of the truck powersteering pump.. Has worked great for more than 10 years.. This avoids battery drain and overheat of the common 12v winch..

Re: Winch Recommendation October 06, 2012 12:32PM
Ramsey makes a good winch. We bought a 12000 lbs to pull our 9300 SF in the hauler. Has a remote
Works good, but would buy a 15000 winch next time. Northern Tool sells them.

Re: Winch Recommendation October 06, 2012 03:55PM
Definitely do not skimp on a winch. We bought one and it ended up not being enough. I believe the rating for winches is straight line pulling force, NOT pulling something up an incline. So I second the 15k electric, or a hydraulic winch.

Re: Winch Recommendation October 07, 2012 07:12AM
My first winch was a 9000# Ramsey, anything over 10,000# I had to double line. My Hydraulic MileMarker is a 12,000#er and I have NEVER had to double line even a 15,000# tractor.. Buy bigger than you know you will need. Again consider a hydraulic winch.

Hydraulic winch October 07, 2012 10:33AM
Hydraulic with a semi would not be so easy.

Re: Hydraulic winch October 08, 2012 11:06AM
Policy Peddler
Hydraulic with a semi would not be so easy.

I will agree with that, to do ether installation correctly it will take some time to have a good operating system with 12v or hydraulic.

Re: Winch Recommendation October 07, 2012 02:41AM
I put a Warn 15K winch on my trailer this summer. I bought the wireless remote and can sit in the truck and load it myself.

Re: Winch Recommendation October 09, 2012 06:24AM
Check out promark.com good winches cheap and wireless remote kits

Re: Winch Recommendation October 13, 2012 08:44PM
Make sure you winch rating is double what you want to pull.!5000# capacity sound right for your mod.Line pull rating is straight line,so up a ramp would increase the pull.Ramsey,Mile-Marker,and Warn all make good winches.I think it is Warn that makes one that has a booster fan to help keep things cool and increase run time.I do not know the weight rating on it either.If you have a 2 line wetline on your semi tractor hooking up a hydralic winch would be a piece of cake.If you have a single line,you would need to add a line straight back into your hydralic tank.Problem with a hydralic unit is a wireless remote would get quite pricey.Hope this helps and now everything is clear as mud.

Re: Winch Recommendation October 14, 2012 05:05AM
jd4020puller
Make sure you winch rating is double what you want to pull.!5000# capacity sound right for your mod.Line pull rating is straight line,so up a ramp would increase the pull.Ramsey,Mile-Marker,and Warn all make good winches.I think it is Warn that makes one that has a booster fan to help keep things cool and increase run time.I do not know the weight rating on it either.If you have a 2 line wetline on your semi tractor hooking up a hydralic winch would be a piece of cake.If you have a single line,you would need to add a line straight back into your hydralic tank.Problem with a hydralic unit is a wireless remote would get quite pricey.Hope this helps and now everything is clear as mud.

Actually the hydraulic winch remote is almost the same as a 12v controll. Just has a wireless controlling the solenoid that actuates the hydraulic flow to the motor.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,793, Posts: 230,000, Members: 3,341.
This forum: Topics: 37,103, Posts: 226,074.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009