Cummins Engine October 30, 2012 02:52AM
I know this has nothing to do with tractor pulling, but I know there is a lot of knowledge out here. We have a 1986 Tucker Sno Cat Groomer with a gas engine, I would like to convert to a diesel with a 6BT Cummins engine out of a 1991 Dodge pick-up. I am told this will not work because the Cummins engine doesn't have a load sensing governor, and it has the wrong style fuel pump. When talking with Cummins, they told me they couldn't even sell me the parts to put this engine in?? Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Cummins Engine October 30, 2012 03:26AM
A 91 Dodge Cummins used a Bosch VE pump on it with a variable speed governor, just like in a tractor. There is no reason it wouldn't work.

Re: Cummins Engine October 30, 2012 07:12AM
Thank you for the info. Any idea what I would need for parts? Going to hook this up to a 545 Allison

Re: Cummins Engine October 30, 2012 12:51PM
Lots of 5.9s had 545s behind them. The ones I've seen were newer and didn't have the VE pump, but they may be out there. Either way if you can find the engine you need all you'll need to do is find the adapter to get the trans to bolt up (adapter plate, flex plate, spacer, etc.) They're usually on ebay and other places that buy up vehicles that had them in it.

Re: Cummins Engine October 30, 2012 05:34PM
You could probably trade someone the dodge adapter plate for the SAE housing you need for the 545.. I have an inline pump 5.9L with an Allison... but its going to be a while before I get the engine and trans out..

Re: Cummins Engine October 31, 2012 05:11AM
Do you think the VE pump will be sufficient for what we are doing? How long before you would have yours out?

Re: Cummins Engine October 31, 2012 05:33AM
what is the gas engine that is currently in it? I wouldn't think it will be much more hp than the 5.9 is. But remember, the gas burner is probably rated at a higher rpm, that equals more hp. It's the torque that moves the vehicle. The 5.9 will likely have lots more torque.

Re: Cummins Engine October 31, 2012 05:46AM
I think you'll be fine with the VE pump.. Its not hard to turn up the HP on the VE pump... It won't make the HP the P pump will.. but you can get 300HP fairly easy.. Like posted above.. it will depend on the rpms the gas engine was running, but most likely it was not too high.. I would think with the torque it will be a great machine, compared to running the gasser...

Re: Cummins Engine October 31, 2012 06:18AM
The current gas engine is a 361 Chrysler, 155 HP. Average RPM is between 2,000 and 2,500 when operating the machine. Extremely hard on fuel, literally gallons to the mile. Tucker did start putting Cummins in their groomers in the late 80's through current; all their models were industrial Cummins in-line pump.

Re: Cummins Engine October 31, 2012 07:48AM
That should run circles around that gas engine.. especially at those rpms... I think the early 91's were 18cm exhaust housing.. the 91.5 and laters were 22-23.. If it gets under the turbo, get a turbo off a later 5.9L with a 12cm housing.. or just the housing.. (the compressor wheels were a little bigger on the later turbos too. (I think 95 and later.)

Re: Cummins Engine October 31, 2012 10:48AM
^^^ what he said. The lowest hp 5.9 in a vehicle that I was ever aware of was 165 hp, with torque still around 400 lb. feet, which will blow your gas engine out of the water. Also like JDGnut said they are easy to turn up. My wife could turn one up and she doesn't even know what a wrench is.

Re: Cummins Engine October 31, 2012 10:55AM
The guys we deal with on our snowcats used to sell Tuckers back in those days. They may be able to help you out with some info on the difference in how the engines are set up. If you want their contact info drop me an e-mail at tfeiss@perfectnorth.com and I'll see what I can do. One of our employees still has a Tucker that he takes to tractor shows, I'm not sure what engine his has in it. Those Cummins with an Allison were very popular in small busses so I would think they would be easy to find at a truck junkyard. We bought a bus with a Cummins/Allison,pulled the engine and trans to use as a backup engine setup on a chair lift.

S'no Farmer

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,644, Posts: 229,710, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520