Pulling States October 30, 2012 09:28PM
Hello all!

Just opening this thread in hopes of some advice.

Im a British guy, considering taking 6 months out to work in the USA, but its a hell of a big country, compared to our cluttered island!

I want to identify which States have a high density of tractor pulling events, suppliers and teams, as it would be my intention to 'get involved' during my time there.

As a Senior John Deere Technician, and having many years of engineering experience under my belt, I wouldnt forsee a problem with finding work.

Out of these 'hot' States, I would like some help with finding the ones where property and living costs are low (in proportion to salary) and where there is a good standard of life. Im pretty old fashioned, with basic moral fibre, and straight talking and honest; so it would be nice to work and live with similar people. I like having woods to relax in, but not used to massive forests!

Your advice and opinions would be gratefully recieved!

Stuart, UK

Re: Pulling States October 30, 2012 11:16PM
Well I live in Iowa, but I think Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, or Kentucky, my favorite, have just what your looking for. Lots of John Deere dealers, lots of Pulls, Good People.

Re: Pulling States October 31, 2012 01:18AM
Illinois has John Deere

Re: Pulling States October 31, 2012 01:56AM
I would stay away from Illinois- crappy economy and corrupt government (I live there). Try Kentucky or Missouri for low cost of living and a mild climate.

Re: Pulling States October 31, 2012 02:48AM
You should be able to find some work here in PA. The JD boys need some help catching those blue ones!Winking

Re: Pulling States October 31, 2012 03:06AM
indiana and ohio are both good choices, just steer clear of cleveland or cincinnati.

Re: Pulling States October 31, 2012 12:23PM
If I was you I would consider Wisconsin. Great freindly people Maybe 20-30 miles west of the Madison area?? Lots for good pulling down in that part of the world

Re: Pulling States October 31, 2012 04:52PM
I would hook up with Bauer maybe operate a sled that sounds like the perfect fit

Re: Pulling States October 31, 2012 07:42PM
Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys, though I must admit Im only narrowly wiser than before Winking

I would be interested in offers of work, and am not limited to working on Deeres... I reackon that if it obeys the laws of physics I can pretty much fix it!

Re: Pulling States November 03, 2012 01:24AM
Stuart, there is always a place for a good mechanic within a company that owns a lot of equipment. I work for a large excavating company based in eastern Missouri that is currently searching for a quality mechanic. This position would be for a field mechanic that is willing to learn, work hard, and travel. We have an immediate postion for a jobsite we are currently working on in the state of Louisiana. A service truck and all of the tools are provided. If this postion is one that you would consider please reply in a manner that would allow me to contact you. If you are looking for a shop mechanic postion we may be able to help with that as well.

Re: Pulling States November 01, 2012 03:44AM
I-L-L-I-N-I I would go for Illinois (I live here also) down south in the real part if Illinois, we have alot of fun in ITPA and need some more green.and with Illinois your are in the middle of basically the mid west pulling country. If not Illinois I would go with Indiana,Missouri, or Kentucky

Re: Pulling States November 01, 2012 05:03AM
Nebraska has the cheapest living in the midwest and within an hour of many many pulls including south dakota, Iowa and Wisconsin

Re: Pulling States November 11, 2012 02:46AM
After recieving one proposition of work within the tractor pulling community, that makes me think that to get the most out of my visit, I should concentrate my efforts in this direction.

I'm a hard worker, quick learner and team player, so if you run a machine shop building pulling engines, a fabrication company making puller parts, or even a team competing locally or nationally, then I would like to talk to you about what we could do for each other!

Re: Pulling States November 11, 2012 10:05AM
Send me an email, Stuart. matbro64@yahoo.com We have alot of pulling going on and a NH machinery dealership. We are located in a valley between the appalachian mountains. We are 90 miles form DC and Baltimore, 200 from NYC, 200 from Ohio border. Maybe we can work something out.

Re: Pulling States November 22, 2012 04:23PM
OHIO IS THE PLACE TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It has 2 things that NO other state can say,Bowling Green,and THE Ohio State Buckeyes.11-0 and going to kick that state up norths ass on Saturday!!!!!!!

Re: Pulling States November 23, 2012 11:40AM
they also love obama

Re: Pulling States November 23, 2012 01:08PM
Also the ohio state that can't go bowling this year.. Lol so the third string must go to championship game.. But the is ok my team rolled over for them this year... I think all areas have their points got to say tho eastern Nebraska has been good to me

Re: Pulling States November 23, 2012 03:07PM
Stuart, over on Fonda's board, is a recent thread named "fabricators" by "Chasman". Perhaps this is something you would be interested in. They are the manufacturers of Advanced Chassis, a premier developer and builder of the top performing Mini chassis. Their geographical location features a very nice standard of living, moderate living costs and in the midst of a tremendous amount of pulling.

Travel an hour or so slightly to the southwest is Modern Machine (www.modernmachine.evb)and www.tedderpullingperformance.com. They are top designers and builders of Modified chassis. But so is Engler Machine Machine & Tool (www.englermachine.com) who also finds his chassis being employed in every pulling class. Engler is in southwestern Indiana, only a few miles from Illinois and Kentucky. Lots of pulling there, too.
If you want to pursue JD, try Chris Little at Tantrum Enterprises and Kurt & Kraig Wileman (K & K) who both build top performing and looking tractors, mainly JD and mainly Pro Stock although they both do other tractor classes, too with Wileman even building other color tractors.
For engine performance, check Riverside Engine, Inc. (I don't find a website) in northwest Ohio as they are a top name for high performance diesel engines. Brent Long (Missouri) and Terry Blackbourn (southwest Wisconsin, only a few miles from Illinois and Iowa) build top performing alky tractor engines. Brent Payne, owner of GMS (Gene's Machine Shop) builds tractor motors of all colors, be it diesel or alky. He's in southwest Ohio just a stone's throw from Indiana. Max Simpson developed the diesel water injection system. He does lots of engine and turbo building, located in south central Michigan.

All of the above except Brent Long is surrounded by lots of NTPA pulling and plenty of other pulling options, too. Brent is in the stronghold of Outlaw sanctioned pulling.

There are plenty of other pulling shops, too. I'm not trying to be biased, but, to inform you of some of the shops (off the top of my head) that are considered top of the line and making a very favorable impact in the pulling scene. If you can obtain a copy of NTPA's "the PULLER" magazine, the ads and business card ads would be a valuable asset for your search.
Cost of living is much cheaper in the Midwest (Ohio and further west) than anything to the east of there. They all feature a very good standard of living overall.

Best of luck to you in finding what is suitable for you. Trust you will enjoy your experience. Touch base with us from time to time to inform us where you are in the process of your unforgettable adventure.

Re: Pulling States November 28, 2012 05:42AM
Hi Stuart, this is Dan Bowers from Advanced Chassis. I am looking for a chassis fabricator for my shop here in NW Ohio. I am looking for a permanent employee but if you were skilled in what we do I would certainly consider bringing you in for a period. We are located just 60 miles from Bowling Green, and we are about as centrally located in the pulling world as you can get. Our little town of about 1200 people was voted the most economical county to live in in the United States. With the recession still lingering the cost of living around here is very low. If you get a chance drop me an email with your qualifications and the timing of your visit and we'll see if there is anything we can do.
Thanks Dan
Advanced Chassis
dan@advancedchassisllc.net
419-769-4445 cell

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,687, Posts: 229,792, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,080, Posts: 225,955.

Our newest member Jason