What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 16, 2012 01:40PM
Building a LLSS, alky tractor. What kind of ignition does it need? running a MSD 8 on one of ours, Will a 7 Work? Any other options? Thanks

Look at Electromotive November 17, 2012 03:15AM
Look at electromotive. Great ignition system

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 17, 2012 03:54AM
MSD 8 or MSD8 PLUS is the ONLY way to go. they were great!! Dont waste your time with the other stuff!

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 17, 2012 07:31AM
I'm using an xdi ignition from electromotive. Works great.

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 17, 2012 09:40AM
Has anybody tried the ProMag in LLSS. I was thinking of trying a 20 in mine someday. Otherwise the MSD 8 for sure.

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 17, 2012 09:51AM
a 7 has been working good on mine for the last 3 years or at least i thought it was

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 17, 2012 10:49AM
We have got a 7, i think we will try it and see what happens

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 18, 2012 02:43AM
most mags are set for 4 or 8 cylinders because of the placement of the magnets

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 18, 2012 10:50AM
We have ran a vertex mag on our old 460 gas NA tractors. Still have one.

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 18, 2012 11:35AM
vertex was one of the only ones to do this but a promag 20 is not set up for 6 cylinders

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 18, 2012 11:46AM
I thought some of the LSS were running mags?

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 19, 2012 03:10AM
Many alcohol LSS are running mags (look near the top of the leader board in many organizations and you'll find mags on many of them). Most are running a MSD Pro Mag 44.

To make them work you either need to slow them down or speed them up to make them work on a 6 cylinder.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 20, 2012 02:47AM
"To make them work you either need to slow them down or speed them up to make them work on a 6 cylinder."

Jake, can you explain that? I can see that changing the speed could make them fire at the correct interval, but the distributor part wouldn't work.

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 20, 2012 10:18AM
how about take 3 of my old 4 cly. aircraft bendix mags.. only use opposite terminals on each, time them to all run in succession, and get em running at the correct ratio to the engine! looks simple to me? at least for a 6 cly.? may have connect some sparks to the extra terminals to save the internal points from burning off?Smiling

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 20, 2012 12:00PM
if you are referring to my post...well you would use only two leads from each mag. say 1 and 3, now you time all 3 mags so that each spark is a 120 deg. apart. may kill a tree or 2 until you get it figured out on paper though? then you run the whole mess at the same speed as your typical ignition! never thought I would have think this hair brain idea out? am sure there must be easier ways?Smiling

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 20, 2012 11:33AM
there is four magnets to fire in them how can you fire 6 times with four magnets

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 20, 2012 02:15PM
It isn't a cut and dried deal to put a mag on a tractor. There is alot of figuring & wiring that is involved. It is also very expensive vs. a big MSD box. There is no need for a mag unless you are running a whole lot of boost. on 85% of alky tractors an MSD8 will do just fine and at about 1/4 the cost of a mag set up. Save yourself the $$ and the headache unless you have 110+lbs of boost.

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 21, 2012 01:01AM
Thanks for the info I asked Tom Cirroel he does mag work and did not know how it would work

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 21, 2012 08:08AM
I did see in their specs that you can use a crank trigger with it, so that would take care of triggering it. I guess then you would only need to get a 6 tower cap on it to make it work.

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 21, 2012 11:54AM
mags for 6 cly are available try www.donzig.com for vertex mags.

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 21, 2012 12:23PM
run the mag off at cog belt, set your pulleys so the mag fires the number of times you need per revolution. set up the distributor cap on a separate housing on the belt, send the H current to the distributor, to direct it to the correct cylinder.
You want easy or power?

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 25, 2012 02:32AM
So do you run the mag on one drive to speed it up and the distubtor on another drive to send spark to the plugs ?

Re: What kind of igniton for an alky tractor? November 26, 2012 10:34AM
yes
has anyboday ever thought that needed ignition power is related to A/F and therewith inlet temperature?
We had MSD 8, Super Mag 3 & 4, MSD 20 and 44 - and ended up with GM OEM single coils in combination with water injection and WAY less fuel now.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,749, Posts: 229,894, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,088, Posts: 225,997.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM