Bending tubing Question December 31, 2012 04:20AM
Got a question for those of you who know alot about bending tubing. I bought my wife a small motorcycle for Christmas, and want to build crash bars for it. The specs I see on factory units shows that they are .095 cold rolled steel, 1-1/4" OD. I don't have a pipe bender. Could I heat it with a torch and bend it? Or should I pay a shop to make the bends? Or could I make angled cuts and weld it (looks crude, but will it be strong?) We're not building a HSS roll cage here, just a simple bar to stop the bike from bending the bars and tank up if she goes down while learning. Thanks

Re: Bending tubing Question December 31, 2012 08:24AM
If it were me I would take it to someone with a mandrel tubing bender to do. I have seen people fill tubing with sand and bend it on a pipe bender but I wouldn't risk my life with it. My 02 cents . Happy New Year!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,781, Posts: 229,963, Members: 3,339.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,045.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009