twd truck or tractor? January 30, 2013 04:31AM
Looking to get started in pulling, when looking at overall costs (including trailers, trucks, etc) is it cheaper to build a twd blower truck or a super farm/ lim pro tractor. Not looking to win an NTPA points race, looking to compete at a local level. Can seem to buy used truck parts cheaper but is a truck actually cheaper?

Also what would you choose? Truck or tractor?!

Re: twd truck or tractor? January 30, 2013 10:02AM
if you're looking at a twd here are some rough numbers:

Engine ~ $30,000
Chassis ~ $15-25,000 (buying one)
Haulers vary
Pickup ~$20,000
Trailer ~ $7-$10,000

For a twd and hauler you're probably looking at around $80,000 if you have nothing to start with.

Re: twd truck or tractor? January 31, 2013 10:27AM
I have been looking for a 2wd. You can buy a used one for around 25,000. Not going to run Grand National but be fun locally. Have not seen many tractor for twice that much.

Re: twd truck or tractor? February 04, 2013 08:48AM
any other views? dont want to start the diesel vs gas debate but wondering what the best route to go is. The options would be a superfarm tractor or smtwd, looking to start out at the local level. so i would build to be able to update!

any new thoughts?

Re: twd truck or tractor? February 04, 2013 09:06AM
You could buy Tom Arp's Black Widow TWD for around $22K. That is a pretty good state level vehicle. JW

Re: twd truck or tractor? February 04, 2013 09:19AM
What are you most interested in ? What ever you build or buy will cost a lot and will cost a lot to keep running. If you are just starting out maybe go stock first. A good running stock tractor in a 9000 lb. Turbo class will run you at least 20,000 and it is nothing fancy. If you add all the good stuff like a pulling turbo, fuel pump, clutch, tires etc. you will be in the 30,000 and up range. A super farm/limited pro today is a big ticket tractor. Of course I guess that all depends on what you can afford. Good luck and have fun!

Re: twd truck or tractor? February 07, 2013 05:19AM
i dont know whats available in your area, but if it was me i would start in a local 2wd truck class.

or an altered farm class which has 8 mph speed limit so all you really need is turn up the pump and decent turbo on say a IH 1066.

i wouldnt bother with super farm way too much money for what you get.

Re: twd truck or tractor? February 08, 2013 11:21AM
The first thing I would consider is what classes are available in my travel area and how far from home am I willing to travel. That being said, I would start at lower level than superfarm or blower truck, it takes a few passes at minimum and a season or two to learn the do's and don'ts of putting a vehicle from one end to the other. Personally, it would be a tractor of some sort, but I don't know what classes are available in the area you live. Lastly pick a class where others are competing and have FUN.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,748, Posts: 229,892, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,087, Posts: 225,995.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM