scheid pump problem February 02, 2013 05:56AM
Just got a package from scheid in the mail today. IH adapter and 4-bolt drive hub for my P-8600 pump. Problem is this: the hub does not have a reference line scribed into it anywhere. It came with a long indicator needle to set into the pump housing, but how do I know where the internals of the pump is at without the reference mark?

Re: scheid pump problem February 02, 2013 06:06AM
you best bet is to call scheid and talk to brad. he might have an idea if not your probably going to have to send it back in.

Re: scheid pump problem February 02, 2013 06:12AM
Look for a tag on box usually they have it in there

Re: scheid pump problem February 02, 2013 06:52AM
Brad built the pump if you are referring to Brad Ingram from Effingham shop. Was new last year and ran on a cummins. The cummins drive hub has a scribed line on it for reference. I just put my IH adapter plate on it and need to remove the cummins hub and replace it with the international 4 bolt drive hub. The new hub doesnt have a dot or a line on it or anything....? Should I rotate the pump to the line on the cummins hub and switch hubs quick and mark my new hub where the needle is pointing to maintain my reference point?

Re: scheid pump problem February 02, 2013 01:38PM
Flow time it , its more accurate anyway

Re: scheid pump problem February 03, 2013 03:07AM
A friend mentioned to me that I need to scribe my line at the point where the fuel just beging to rise in the #1 hole. Essentially at the base of the cam for the #1 plunger where there is zero lash. I will definately check it with a little bit of diesel in the hole, and compare my observations to the reference point that already exists on the cummins hub. If everything checks out, I will do the same proceedure and make my scribe on the new hub. Another thing on the same subject- Does anyone running the 8600 pump have their drive hub double keyed? Mine isnt. Is this a problem? Heard whispers that they tend to shear keys...?

Re: scheid pump problem February 03, 2013 04:40AM
Don't assume the Cummins hub is set at port closure. Normally they will set it up on what the timing is supposed to be set at from the factory--15 BTDC. Your pump is for a performance application--it may have been set at port closure. Your pump will move even if you put it on the mark--that hub will come off hard. Schied did not mark the hub because they have to have the pump and install it to mark it. Either take the hub and pump to Schied and have them install it and mark it, or install the hub, find port closure, mark the hub, and install your pointer.

Re: scheid pump problem February 02, 2013 03:12PM
Fill #1 with fuel or a good penetrating oil, rotate the pump in ditection of rotation slowly. When the pump squirts, back it up to just before it squirted. You just found your line.

Re: scheid pump problem February 03, 2013 02:38AM
And a scribed line isn't? Every pump I ever messed with would return itself to port closing which is where the builder scribes his line and pointer.

Re: scheid pump problem February 02, 2013 08:42PM
Boy i dunno that's a very touchy fine line there , very easy to get off a degree and cause big problems

Re: scheid pump problem February 03, 2013 05:32AM
I would listen to whatever Sled sports says he is very smart and knows how to run a very successful tractor pulling club also!Winking

Re: scheid pump problem February 03, 2013 06:19AM
red runner
I would listen to whatever Sled sports says he is very smart and knows how to run a very successful tractor pulling club also!Winking

Bout time for another bashing thread isn't it ol boy?

Re: scheid pump problem February 03, 2013 06:54AM
C'mon Gentlemen. We are all in this together. Pulling alone might make for a lot of wins, but the competition and prize money get old! I respect anyone willing to offer me knowledge and insight on questions that I post here. Thanks to everyone.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,700, Posts: 229,800, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,951.

Our newest member CBeard