Turbos February 03, 2013 09:59AM
What if any are the differences between a turbo on a truck or tractor puller compared to that of one on a drag racer.

Re: Turbos February 03, 2013 02:01PM
Dont take my word as gospel, but a drag car would be fueled by alcohol. In my experience, pulling vehicles that operate on alcohol tend to run different turbos than those that burn diesel. Are you looking to build a multi charger setup?

Re: Turbos February 03, 2013 02:56PM
No just have been researching different types of chargers and prices and it seems you can buy a turbo for drag racing appilcation alot cheaper, than you can for pulling. Our there internal differences between the to.

Re: Turbos February 03, 2013 03:05PM
There are diesel dragsters for the record. And I don't know but I would imagine it has something to do with internals as far as housings....spooling characteristics...etc. I'd get what's meant to be run.

Re: Turbos February 03, 2013 04:11PM
Why is there such a difference in the prices of the chargers. You would think that the drag cars would be turning more rpms than most tractors or trucks.

Re: Turbos February 04, 2013 02:49AM
I don't think that the drag cars run the pressure ratio (boost) that single charger pullers of all fuels & multi-charger diesel tractors do. If you are looking at a multi-charger alcohol tractor, the drag turbos might be fine since they tend to run lower pressure ratios.

Re: Turbos February 04, 2013 04:54AM
So is there something internal on a turbo that might be on a drag car or alky tractor. I know they don't run that much boost on a drag cars, is that because the turbo will not handle it or motor will not handle the boost that tractors run.

Re: Turbos February 05, 2013 05:32AM
As far as I know the center sections would be the same or very similar. The wheels are probably different to most effectively get the desired pressure ratios. Also remember that response (turbo lag) is critical in a drag car but not so much son in a puller.

I don't think automotive engines will handle the boost. Maybe a top fuel style bottom end could...

Re: Turbos February 05, 2013 08:29AM
Thanks i would think that the harder you turn the charger the harder it would be on it. So i would think that the drag cars running at high rpms would hold up on say a 3000 rpm tractor compared to 6000 to 8000 rpms on a drag car i understand that the load might effect it as well. But with the way the sleds are today you our not pulling anything till the pan and spikes drop.

Re: Turbos February 05, 2013 06:43AM
I would say the main difference in price is the fact that the different classes of pulling have different rules that specifically limit the turbocharger. If a puller wants to win they would need to get a custom turbo built specifically to the rules of the class

Drag racing usually doesnt have rules to limit the turbocharger.

It doesnt really matter, drag racing, tractor pulling, mud bogging, or for the street, a turbocharger serves the same purpose but rather a matter of if you buy a turbo off the shelf or have it custom built will determine the price.

Tractor pulling is tougher on a turbo than drag racing because it is under load/pressure for the whole run. The pressures fluctuate quite a bit with peak pressures occuring at gear changes when drag racing and are brief. Drag racing is more about RPM/hp vs pulling being more about load/torque,.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,773, Posts: 229,940, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,029.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009