Profab transmission help. February 10, 2013 12:48AM
I have a 3 speed, twin shaft Profab gearbox with direct and two under gears. I looking to change it to direct with one over and one under. Has anyone here done it and have any tips on what to be carefull with or what to watch out for? Any help or pointers at all appriciated. Thanks.

Re: Profab transmission help. February 10, 2013 08:13AM
The gears are a Pro-Fab only deal.
Larry has re-geared one of his single countershaft transmissions for me, same day service, drop off in am and pick up late afternoon. I was lucky he had time to do that.
Price was cost of gears and that was it.
Trans. was CLEAN and empty of gear lube, so that helped him, and me.
I am sure a case or fifth of his favorite beverage would effect the labor rate also. Just sayin'

Re: Profab transmission help. February 10, 2013 11:09AM
Good luck getting to talk to Larry. His secretary is like an old junk yard dog. I have bought many trannys from them. After the last deal dealing with the secretary. It was pretty shitty that I couldn't talk to the man about some technical info. I was not happy and Larry needs to do something about her. She is not professional at all. When I buy another new tranny I will not go threw that again or I will have a different one

Re: Profab transmission help. February 10, 2013 03:42PM
They are not too bad to take apart. It would be best to have someone with you that has done it before. Basically take both end plates off, remove gears and spacers and keep them in order as they come out. There is a key on the center shaft to lock the small collars from turning. Drive roll pin in towards center of shaft and remove key. Really there are only two things to remember. Have the timing marks on the gears lined up when going together. Also when removing a shifter rail put a piece of rod in from the backside of trans in shifter hole to hold shifter ball. They are difficult to get in if they get out. Larry can tell you which gears need to go where in trans to get the correct ratio. I have set mine up as one under/one over and also as a two under by flipping the gears around.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,787, Posts: 229,973, Members: 3,340.
This forum: Topics: 37,101, Posts: 226,051.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009