Alcohol Superstocks February 16, 2013 04:05PM
When the alcohol tractors are taking off at louisville there is always a white cloud coming out the stacks. Is that them injecting the water ahead of the turbos that does that or am I missing something. I see most of them have spray nozzles now is that what it is ? Water ,alcohol or both. I wouldn't think the fuel systems would be that loaded up. Just curious Grinning

Re: Alcohol Superstocks February 16, 2013 04:31PM
Water injection... or at least it's supposed beWinking... don't know what the rules are here at the Farm show so alcohol might just find it's way into some water injection tanks. If anyone has the Farm Show rules I'd love to see a copy.

By the way, it was a great finals tonight in every class.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Alcohol Superstocks February 17, 2013 01:21PM
Robert, that is stages of fuel coming in for the most part not many Alcohol use water injection, that I know of but could. But What I saw looks just like more fuel coming in as each stage comes in.

Eric Prewitt
The Prewitt Pulling Team
Public Relations for
The Pulling Radio Network

Re: Alcohol Superstocks February 17, 2013 05:09PM
With multi stage turbo alkys you have a few options. You can run a giant intercooler, water injection, or go kaboom. The multistages make enough heat to ignite alcohol in the intake if it isn't cooled. Needless to say alcohol igniting in the intake tends to be disasterous to plumbing and turbos. I don't think anybody runs a full electronic controlled fuel system on an alky burner with feedback controls to keep fueling right for every operating case. This means they run stages of fueling jets. The guys with more stages tend to stay closer to not being rich and burn cleaner, if they have fewer stages they tend to load up like that till the turbos catch up to the extra fuel as they open the throttle and the stages open up with it.

Re: Alcohol Superstocks February 18, 2013 04:03AM
KTA
With multi stage turbo alkys you have a few options. You can run a giant intercooler, water injection, or go kaboom...

I don't quite agree. For the past decade (or two at this point) most alcohol tractors didn't have water injection or intercoolers and guys who knew how to properly setup a fuel system had no problems with detonation. It's the guys that didn't know how to change their setup, or guys who made drastic air pill changes that had detonation problems. A well-tuned multi-turbocharger alcohol tractor doesn't "need" water or an intercooler to be setup properly and to run smoothly.

Eric,

I agree that it is often fuel coming in from the stages. For those that haven't noticed this, on the starting line many alcohol tractors will put out two clear puffs of fuel as the RPM's come up. With some setups it's more noticeable than others and you may even hear a very quick stutter in RPM. In Louisville it's usually a little more white in color because of the cooler air down by the big door at the starting line.

However, it's not always just fuel. More and more guys in LSS and Open Super are running water injection. A few have nozzles in front of the top chargers and some inject water in-between turbo stages, or after the last stage.

They can either run a pump for their water or if they are injecting before the turbos, or in-between stages they can pressurize their water tank with intake boost and "pump" it with air pressure.

The water cools the air charge, which also decrease the volume of the air charge and increase air charge density. It give them the ability to run more boost pressure, higher compression, more horsepower, etc… Puller's used to inject alcohol inbetween stages until Blackbourn blew a few turbos off of Extremely Armed and Dangerous and then the NTPA banned alcohol injection between or before stages. (Although I don't know if it's banned in Louisville or notWinking)

If you watch videos of Controlled Chaos or either Blackbourn tractors you can see the water injection system putting out a serious column of white smoke/steam. Robby Crutchfield's another guy who's had water on his Massey for years and years. It's actually getting to be pretty common in both the Open and LSS classes.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Alcohol Superstocks February 20, 2013 04:35AM
Most tractors in the class run water injection systems. Some do and some dont run intercoolers. The only time you get the large amount of white smoke is when it is cold. Its especially bad at Louisville because of the large door that is open to the outside. I have to check the computer data, but i dont think the water injection comes on till after the white smoke goes away.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,787, Posts: 229,973, Members: 3,340.
This forum: Topics: 37,101, Posts: 226,051.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009