Turn Me Loose (PS) at NFMS February 15, 2009 02:59AM
Was that tractor running the same setup that it normally runs in Europe? Is it 505ci, oem head? If it is the 680ci could take a lesson from that 505. This is a perfect example that you do not need 680ci. Rule should be 540ci limit.

Re: Turn Me Loose (PS) at NFMS February 15, 2009 03:12AM
from what I've heard, it has the big motor, 10.2 liter , when it is going te be shipped to Europe, it will be
equiped with a, 8,3 liter engine (as max allowed overhere , and max weight 3500 kilogram)

Re: Turn Me Loose (PS) at NFMS February 15, 2009 05:45AM
which is 7700 lbs...
At least we can say the chassis coming over is top notch Winking

Let's see what his new engine will be able to do over here!

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Turn Me Loose (PS) at NFMS February 15, 2009 05:51AM
Why do you euro-pull guys think a small displacement engine is better ?

Re: Turn Me Loose (PS) at NFMS February 15, 2009 06:29AM
Puhh.. I would not say we think it is "better".
The reason for the 510 cui / 7700 lbs rule being placed is more influenced by the "different reality" here.
When we got Pro Stocks as an official class about a decade ago, we had following scenario:

The first Alky Burners started to show up and it was crystal clear, the diesels would not stand a chance against them for very much longer. But since there was no where enough tractors in the class to split it (especially not on the national levels), something had to be done, because a lot of the teams (and the related sponsor money) were about to pull out of the sport completely.
So one part of the story was to create a DIESEL class, that you could enter with your existing Diesel Super Stock tractor, by more or less just changing the turbo kit to a single charger.
Most Diesel SS were in the 400 to 500 cui range back then.

The other part is easy to explain if you look into the lots of the tractor dealers here and check what kind of used tractors are avaliable, that could be turned into a Pro Stock (back then you didn't think about building a tractor from parts).
What was (and still is) in the lots?
Plenty of 46 and 55 IHs (Neuss built, german diesel, 358 and 402 cui)
German made John Deeres and a few US build ones with the 466 engine
New Hollands / Fords
Perkins powered MFs
Fendt
06 and DX Deutz
Valtra
Volvo

6030 John Deere, MF V8, Minni Mo, ... were never sold in Europe

So anything much higher then 510 cui (for most "pride of the farm" tractors that is a an unreachable cui limit already) didn't make any sense.
Neither did a weight over 8000 lbs. Since we are metric, "three and a half" sounds a lot more logical than 3636 kg (which would be 8000 lbs. Lbs is something the normal guy outside of the USA has no clue about).

Then "OEM" heads had to be used, which also makes sense, because we wanted a category that is related to the farm tractor.

What we got in the years after the introduction of the class in the higher level events like the Euro Cup and the European Championships, has to be described as an, still ongoing, explosion.
I remember Valtra moving it's heavily factory supported team from SS to PS (and also heavily supporting the European Puling Circuit back then)
John Deere supported Wim Jansen running the Mannheim Magic tractor (he moved to Canda a while back though)
By now we have an "official Massey Ferguson Pulling Team" in the Netherlands, heavy support for an Italian team running a Landini, Fendt Dealers of north west germany gave away a complete used tractor to a team to be converted into a (pretty hopeless) Pro Stock project,... and a bunch of guys spending money like there is no tomorrow.

Changes that were made to the class lately:
At 440 cui you may use an OEM four valve head
It is now allowed to build a component tractor, which on paper allows for more European brand tractors to be turned into Pro Stocks, especially as several are now sold with 4 valve heads (Mannheim built JDs and Fendts) on engines, that can probably be bored out and stroked to those 440 cui, but usually come with them big Vario transmissions.

After all:
What we wanted was a "cheap" class with tractors you could buy here.
What we got, was not cheap but plenty colorful with probably the best factory support of any class in the Pulling Sport until today.
Oh - and they put on a hell of a show!

Luke's competitors at the 2008 Euro Cup Finals

Prostock Bettborn 2008 from Pullingvideo.com on Vimeo.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2009 06:50AM by Sascha.

While we're at it February 15, 2009 07:15AM
Just some more video footage from the Euro Cup Finals last year.
Take a look at the hill - numbers of spectators per class!

Super Stock

Superstock Bettborn 2008 from Pullingvideo.com on Vimeo.

9900 lbs modified (including us testing a set of tires with waaaay too high lugs)

4.5 ton Modified Bettborn 2008 from Pullingvideo.com on Vimeo..

5500 lbs modified

2.5 ton modified Bettborn 2008 from Pullingvideo.com on Vimeo.

Re: Turn Me Loose (PS) at NFMS February 15, 2009 07:31AM
Thanks for your response. I think here in USA we have a nice class of prostocks more color would be great but doubt that it will ever happen. Are the euro-prostocks having durability issues with their connecting rods ? I would think high rpm in a diesel turbo charged inline 6 clyinder engine would be pretty destructive !

Re: Turn Me Loose (PS) at NFMS February 15, 2009 08:33AM
I am not a Pro Stock man - but I have heard they (at least used to) have a great deal of main bearing problems. Rods out is kinda rare...

Re: Turn Me Loose (PS) at NFMS February 16, 2009 01:38AM
read sascha post above ( bearing problems!!!!!!!! )

Re: Turn Me Loose (PS) at NFMS February 16, 2009 01:47AM
I remember fully well, there was an issue with Clevilite / Mexico / John Deere bearings ... could have been the same issue.
I am a bit out of touch with the diesel stuff over here, since I set out because of work for almost a complete season and all I have been in touch with lately is methanol, electronic injections, allison main bearings and pro chargers....

Re: Turn Me Loose (PS) at NFMS February 15, 2009 06:30AM
well, as a red blooded American, I'd say here we have a red and green PS show, with only 3 other PS tractors that are actually competitive (Domanns, Cope, and Karl Kaun); there are a few non JD/IH tractors such as Aces and 8s, or Fools Gold, but I've not seem them actually run within a few feet of the top ones, at least not at Bowling Green.

In Europe, not only do you have JD and IH, you have Valtra, probably New Holland/Ford, maybe some Agco family (Deutz etc), and perhaps even other brands. Lots more color.

Re: Turn Me Loose (PS) at NFMS February 16, 2009 08:21AM
The motor is Brian S. They have been running it in that tractor. It will come out before it goes over the pond

The thing that ticked me off was a couple of years a go, David Yarick did the same thing on the pipe. Went back to fix it and when it blew off, he was DQ'ed. The turn me loose tractor was not.

Re: Turn Me Loose (PS) at NFMS February 16, 2009 08:28AM
If Turn Me Loose was DQ in the pulloff he would have gotten second. Guess what, he got second.

If Turn Me Loose had beaten El Nino then I think the committee would have given him a DQ, but he got second no matter what so there's no point in complaining about it. It put on a good show and gave a little drama to the finish, lets just leave it at that, it didn’t affect the results at all.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Turn Me Loose (PS) at NFMS February 16, 2009 08:59AM
.. and you also don't have to worry about it anymore...

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009