SmilingThumbs UpPoll #1-- How do you rate the announcing for the NFMS--Thumbs DownAngry February 15, 2009 11:20PM
Poll
221 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
How do you rate the announcing for the NFMS, please rate.

How do you rate the announcing for the NFMS, please make constructive suggestion if you feel the announcing needs some changes/improvements.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2009 11:21PM by Dick Morgan.

Announcing at the NFMS February 16, 2009 01:57AM
I have one piece of constructive criticism for all announcers, but this also relates to the NFMS: Don’t talk while the tractor is coming up on RPM’s! I love to listen to the turbo spooling up, I love to hear when a tractor goes from the choppy-idle sound to the smooth, ever higher revving, until it finally lights sound. My advice is don’t talk while they are building boost, there are two reasons for this:

1. I can’t hear you, and even if I can, most likely I can’t understand what you are saying! I might hear the first word or two (probably even more annoying to hear part of a sentence) but when the boost comes in it’s just a waste of breath. If you forget to introduce a driver don’t scramble to say their name real quick, just make sure you give them their just due after they run.

2. As I said before, I can’t hear the tractor! I come to see tractors, but I also come to hear them. The noises the tractor makes is a huge part of the experience.

When an announcer talks while a tractor is building boost it just sounds like an annoying garbled mess. Unfortunately is happens once in a while at any event, but in my personal opinion it happened a little too often at the farm show this year.

On a positive note, I thought the announcers had great energy and enthusiasm. I really appreciated all the background work and statistics that Miles Krieger provided. For those out there who have been hard on Butch, I personally thought this was the best announcing job I’ve ever heard him do. The announcing team of Butch and Dave put a ton of effort into their jobs this year.

Best of all, no “Wave”. I’d give an overall grade of B with some room for improvement.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Announcing at the NFMS February 16, 2009 04:04AM
I agree that butch did a real good job this year, the other guy dave? was not at an outlaw pull, he needs to stop talking so much about the outlaw tractors, they really need one more person, there is to much going on for just 2 guys. Let one person walk around from the finish line to the starting line and talk to the pullers before they hook and see what they think abou t the track and other stuff. forget the part about going onto the stands to talk to people, it's boring. the people are there to hear about pulling, talk to the pullers.

Re: Announcing at the NFMS February 16, 2009 04:56AM
i dont think they need three announcers at all, i think butch does a fantastic job, i have listen to him since i was a little boy there and lots of other places as well, not so sure about this dave guy, i have never heard butches son announce but from what i hear he is just as good, i think it would be awesome next year with them two on the floor together, I am not knocking dave at all im sure he works real hard at it, but he was majorly biased towards the outlaws and was not very knowledgeable of the other pullers, and the mother in law jokes on wednesday night were a little much i think and not very apropriate at the time. and this just my opinion it seemed to me he kinda took the show from butch, he did try to talk way to much, if your gonna have two announcers they need to work together, and i dont think they did that, next year i say Butch & Miles!

Re: Announcing at the NFMS February 16, 2009 05:37AM
i thought Butch did a good job, but Dave added so much to the show, talking to much is better than other years when there was silence at times, but i do agree maybe don't go into the crowd as much, as far as talking to pullers at the end of the track they ain't going to tell you anything until there class is over, i say good job Dave. i hope you are back next year

Re: Announcing at the NFMS February 16, 2009 08:54AM
I've thought the same thing before. A third announcer down in the staging area would be a great addition to the show for the reasons you mention.

OOOHH, OOOHH, PICK ME, PICK ME!

CPR

Re: Announcing at the NFMS February 16, 2009 09:05AM
I vote for CPR for the roaming/staging area man you do a great job at the Great Lake Pull you would do good there !!

Re: Tom Hartsell, Kenny Mack, or Doc Riley? February 16, 2009 09:45AM
I enjoy hearing Tom announce.
He would be a great addition.

I've not been to Tomah in a few years, but if Ken Mack still announces, I thought he was extremely knowledgable.

I would have to say I enjoy Butch. He has become the "voice" of tractor pulling over the years.

PS- I remember a guy named Doc Riley announcing NTPA pulls back in the early 90's. I don't know what he's up to these days, but I think he may have been the best overall announcer I ever heard.

Re: Tom Hartsell, Kenny Mack, or Doc Riley? February 16, 2009 10:53AM
alan washburn still announcing? he always did a good job. would like to hear butch alan and maybe let miles do a few interviews to earn his stripes.

Re: Tom Hartsell, Kenny Mack, or Doc Riley? February 21, 2009 02:02PM
You must be joking of course, Ken Mack, while a good talker and knows his tractors, has been putting fans to sleep for some time now, And Butch did a better job this year only because of the outlaw motor mouth that yelled into the mike most of the time and was generally overbearing, the mother inlaw jokes were just plain awful most of the time. I did NOT miss the Red - Green crap at all this year. Miles might be O.K. in future, but rite now, he don`t know his tractors or pullers very well and has some bad habits already such as, give him a big hand, and he just keeps talking at the same time, go figure. At least he don`t say "right there" after every pull. Or "no doubt about it" over and over. The frogs on the other hand are getting old too, like Butch. The volume most of time was way to loud there. I didn`t have hearing protection with me as it was a farm pull.........

Re: Announcing at the NFMS February 16, 2009 09:47AM
I have been extremely critical of Butch and his past sidekicks and I will say that this was a definate improvement. I thought the mis-speaks and wrong info happened much less offten and I actully enjoyed Dave as well. Best of all there was NO wave and no RRRREEEEEDDDDDDD - GGGGRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNN. Overall I think it was improved, and I actully like the going into the crowd and talking to pullers. That said the best line of the weekend was; Dave asked Randy Petro "What is it going to take to win this class tonight?" to which Randy said, "Well I think whoever goes the farthest is going to win" I laughed my butt off it was hillarious.

Re: Announcing at the NFMS February 18, 2009 05:03AM
I pretty much feel the same. I too have been very critical of Butch. Thanks to Miles for the time well spent, prepping for Butch. I feel that made quite a difference. Only other thing is I still feel that Butch lets his brand preference show through. Fix that and Dave and Butch are a good team.

Re: Announcing at the NFMS February 18, 2009 05:46AM
Miles sounds like a great guy and all, and maybe some upcoming talent, however, what everyone does not realize is that Dave Bennett had a 4x6 index card filled with the same info that Miles put together, and then more..... When I went up to see this so called scrap book by miles, it was simply a word document with the pullers name, tractor name, hometown, and awards, points, etc. Pretty much a internet search of their info...

I also looked through Dave Bennetts cards, they were just as informational on all that basic stuff, but they also contained alot of personal information about the pullers. Their motor configuration, vehicle information, what they do for a living, their family info, what they do for other fun, and alot more info like that. Dave did his research and then some, but is not getting the showcase attention that butch/miles is getting. Watching and listening this past week, there is some pole positioning being done and someone is getting alot more attention than its really deserves..
JUST My opinion and observations.....

Re: Announcing at the NFMS February 18, 2009 08:06AM
Boy oh boy, with all that ability to see the imformation (scrap) book and index cards you must have been in their back pocket. This makes me think that you should have plenty of pull to get the Lite supers back in. This is the best news yet. Someone must have hit a nerve. And your name was?

Re: Announcing at the NFMS February 16, 2009 11:11AM
didnt like the new guys voice or accent and if hes back next year its ok but if hes not thats fine too.

Re: Announcing at the NFMS February 16, 2009 10:42AM
I agree with you on both points Jake. I will say too that I like Butch, I just think he needs some more facts and to brush up on the rules. Once again he tried to slip in the 4 inch turbo limit on the PS class but he was quickly corrected. I'll say too that he did have much opportunity to mess up as he barely had a chance to talk...

On that note, his partner was indeed knowledgable (a little Outlaw biased, but that's understandable "this" year) and he had a good command of the rules and the individual machines. I'm sure a lot of the women at the pulls he announces would be a bit miffed at all the mother-in-law jokes. One here and there is fine, 20 minutes of it is a bit much.

The real question is - what happened to Harold?

Re: Announcing at the NFMS February 16, 2009 11:40AM
Was told my a very good source the main reason Harold wasn't back was some on the comments he made last year about the handicapped.

Re: Announcing at the NFMS February 16, 2009 12:03PM
I enjoyed Dave with the exception to all the outlaw's reference.

Re: Announcing at the NFMS February 22, 2009 04:09PM
I don't ever remember Harold saying anything about handicapped people at the NFMS last year. But that very well could have happened. I missed Harold this year it just wasnt as exciting as it has been in years past. I think Butch is alot better when its him and Harold they both keep the crowd entertained between each pull.

Re: Announcing at the NFMS February 16, 2009 10:57PM
Who cares what happened to harold. I thought the two we had did a great job.

Re: Announcing at the NFMS February 23, 2009 08:43AM
Generally, the announcing was OK. Thought Butch lost his voice a few times and then I realized he couldn't get in a word edgewise. Too loud and too much talking when the tractors were on the line and bringing up the revs. Thanks for eliminating the wave. Also, didn't miss all the screaming "red" and "green". Now if we could lose a session of the Super Farms and get the Light Supers back this pull could be as good as it was a few years ago.

Re: Announcing at the NFMS February 16, 2009 02:33PM
i feel that the outlaws were pushed on every one in the crowd. This pull really is put on in the middle of ntpa and ppl country. A vast majority of the fans and pullers are from Ntpa and PPL states. I think that most people would rather hear announcers that have been out to the same pulls and events that they have been to throughout the summer. The question was asked multiple times about how many pullers were in the crowd. Then the normal questions about what states the crowd was from. The answers were mainly from ohio, indiana, kentucky, illinois and wisconsin. So I think announcers from these areas would please a bigger majority of the crowd.

Re: SmilingThumbs UpPoll #1-- How do you rate the announcing for the NFMS--Thumbs DownAngry February 16, 2009 01:41PM
Overall I thought the announcing was very good this year. Butch is always entertaining to listen to and Miles stats made him that much better. I also liked Dave Bennett. I did't think he was Outlaw biased. Butch informs you about the pullers east of the river and Dave did the west. It was nice to learn a little bit about the Outlaw pullers.
Still I think the best duo I have seen at the NFMS was Butch and Scott Douglas in the early 90's. They worked real well together.

Re: SmilingThumbs UpPoll #1-- How do you rate the announcing for the NFMS--Thumbs DownAngry February 17, 2009 06:28AM
The announcing was 150% better this year than in the past with Harold. Glad there was no "RED"....."GREEN"........and the wave! That was annoying stuff! Was nice that Dave finally got Butch straightened out on how to pronounce a former Outlaw puller's last name! I agree, less talking when the tractor is spooling up on the line. Also, turn the volume down next year so you don't blow our ear drums out and then we can have a conversation with the person sitting next to us! Otherwise, good job, HUGE improvement!

Re: SmilingThumbs UpPoll #1-- How do you rate the announcing for the NFMS--Thumbs DownAngry February 23, 2009 03:18PM
Butch did a great job as usual. New guy is good also. Only problem way to much volume, budwiser commercial louder than Bill Vories American Thunder headed for the sand pile OUCH!

Re: SmilingThumbs UpPoll #1-- How do you rate the announcing for the NFMS--Thumbs DownAngry February 18, 2009 01:41AM
::I thought the announcing was very good. Don't know where everyone thinks Dave talked about Outlaws so much, I heard him talk about all the other organisations too. Where and who the puller had and is pulling with he gave info on all pullers not just Outlaws. At least we got new info on pullers we had never gotten before. The two worked very good together, lets let them do it again next year!!!!!!!!

Re: SmilingThumbs UpPoll #1-- How do you rate the announcing for the NFMS--Thumbs DownAngry February 18, 2009 02:04AM
I'm not knocking any of the announcers on info, however I believe the credit for all the great info should go to Butch's son Mile's. Butch showed Jake and me the book that Mile's prepared for the show. It was amazing the amount of data that was there. Every truck and tractor had their pulling history, I believe that Butch said that Mile's had over 45 hours of research in preparing the book. For me all the info added to the show.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: SmilingThumbs UpPoll #1-- How do you rate the announcing for the NFMS--Thumbs DownAngry February 18, 2009 07:22AM
First of all thank you Dick and fellow posters for the kind words you have said about my research. Let me make sure everyone understands that I did that research for my father as a gift to try and enhance the quality of the show at Louisville. I spent alot of time and did alot of research. If I could not find information, I randomed called that puller for their information. I remember one particular morning I called Jeff Perry from Hillmar, California to ask him for help and information. I also wrote Sascha Meckling at Pulling World for help on Sjors and Lucien. Over the years Louisville has begun to branch out in their area of acceptance and with that it has become increasingly more difficult for my father to know everyone. I started three years ago researching and sending him bio information, but this year I spent more time and dug deeper. I was ecstatic to see Dave Bennetts cards because it truly showed his level of commitment to the Farm Show and his announcing career. I want for everyone to understand I was not searching for credit or anything in doing that research for my father. As I said I have done it for three years but this was the first any fan ever heard of it. I appreciate everyone believing in my ability as an announcer and one day I hope to stand on the floor of Freedom Hall as announcer, until then I will be there every year in support of my father and whomever is lucky enough to be standing with him. We all have opinions but you know what they say about them. I thank you Dick and Jake for your commitment to the sport and for providing us a forum whereby we can share our thoughts and opinions.

Miles Krieger

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,790, Posts: 229,989, Members: 3,340.
This forum: Topics: 37,103, Posts: 226,066.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009