Farm Stock MPH Limits March 06, 2013 03:42AM
What are some of the most preferred mph limits for farm stock ranging from 5500 to 17500. Have heard anywhere from 5-8. Any advice or suggestions would be great

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 06, 2013 04:36AM
Missouri Farm Pullers have speed limits of 7, 10 &12.5 mph up to 12500.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 06, 2013 04:43AM
10 MPH even seems too fast for just farm stock if they are truly off the farm. Trying to keep things in check. Just don't want to get it too slow but know there has to be a mph breaking point from true farm stock to highly tweaked look alike farm tractors.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 06, 2013 06:03AM
if youre talking about TRULY straight out of the field farm tractors, maybe with just the pump turned up, 6 mph works well. that's all they'll run anyway without snuffing it. 8 mph works well for guys who have spent a little getting more fuel in them but are still basically stock. it goes up from there depending on how much is done to the tractors. here's a video of a 6 mph class running below. not the most entertaining for the crowd, but if they're stock, it's all they'll do anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fADri3nNudE

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 06, 2013 01:33PM
Tech checking. That's the number one reason that people use the speed limit. Tech checking is time consuming and there are never enough people available to do it for the most part. The speed limits make it simple, and if someone wants to spend $30K on their "farm stock" tractor to go 6-10 mph, go ahead and let them. At least at that speed, it become more about driver skill and weighting, not outspending everyone. That's where the appeal is for beginning puller. No one wants to continually compete at a pull in which they will totally embarass themselves.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 09, 2013 01:21PM
It doesnt cost 30K to build a 10 mph puller..Lots in our club have less than 10K in their tractors..

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 10, 2013 01:38AM
I'm not doubting you on that, I'm sure it could be done for what you say it can be, as long as there's some do it yourself stuff involved. But, we all know there are guys that will spend twice as much as everyone else for a farm stock class where you don't always need mountains of horsepower.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 06, 2013 05:59AM
Around here, 55 & 75 are 4 mph for farm stock, 9500 is 4-5 and from there its 6 mph, at least at the fairs. One local club runs 55, 65, 75, 85 and 95 4 mph, then a 95 10 mph and above that 10,500 through 20,000 there is a 6 mph & 10 mph.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 06, 2013 05:59AM
When will you all get rid of these ridiculous speed limits and horns in favor of actually policing turbo rules. 2.31 (box stock 3LM charger inlet size) inlet that is unaltered won't support much over 10MPH. Just enforce your rules and set the sled up so it isn't a drag race but an actual PULL. No one in the crowd wants to watch a pull with a speed limit or a pull where the drivers are throttle jockeying or there's a horn blowing half way down the track. What's next down there, no 6030's?

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 06, 2013 06:05AM
people watch those speed limit classes all the time and they're huge in certain parts of the country. besides that it eliminates the crying because there's nothing to really cheat on...just don't go over the mph and you're good.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 06, 2013 07:28AM
all the time
people watch those speed limit classes all the time and they're huge in certain parts of the country. besides that it eliminates the crying because there's nothing to really cheat on...just don't go over the mph and you're good.

Show me a video where the stands are packed for a MPH class. The crowds don't come to see it anywhere, they come to see the smoke and fire not hear a horn blow all the way down the track. They may be stuck watching it but no one comes to a pull to see the MPH class run, it's when everyone aside from the old timers who go to put-put pulls anyway (it's fine they enjoy that but that's why it's on a separate day at most places) go to get beer.

To my original point, no one can cry about the cheating if you ENFORCE THE RULES!

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 06, 2013 08:05AM
they'll cry all day if you enforce the rules because they'll still always be saying so and so is cheating but never have the courage to protest. unless enforcing the rules mean you tear them down before every pull and inspect everything. been there and done that and goes on at every pull I've ever been to.
no one has just a farm stock pull, they're mixed in with other stuff or run on a separate sled. besides like i said if you're running mostly stock stuff, they're not gonna go over 6 or 8 mph anyway. hotter stuff sure, but that's another story.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 06, 2013 08:10AM
way
they'll cry all day if you enforce the rules because they'll still always be saying so and so is cheating but never have the courage to protest. unless enforcing the rules mean you tear them down before every pull and inspect everything. been there and done that and goes on at every pull I've ever been to.
no one has just a farm stock pull, they're mixed in with other stuff or run on a separate sled. besides like i said if you're running mostly stock stuff, they're not gonna go over 6 or 8 mph anyway. hotter stuff sure, but that's another story.

Then by that very statement they will still cry about speed pulls so you might as well just limit the air and save the fans. If the rules just say box stock 3LM all you have to check are chargers which you should be checking anyway on the tractors "in the money"

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 06, 2013 08:28AM
Thanks for some of the decent responses. Didn't really need the other hype. As a promotor, just trying to make it fair for a young kid wanting to pull the family tractor and not compete against someone in a class they truly don't belong in. Seems to bring out the worst in some people and all over less than a $100 bucks but I guess if that makes you feel good so be it. Just wanting a ballpark mph because I don't own every make to know what will work best.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 06, 2013 10:46PM
That's fine for the turbo classes, what about the naturally aspirated with no turbo to measure?I agree it's hard to have farm stock classes, and nobody wants to tech tractors because they're afraid to piss people off, it's the same with truck pulling, unfortunately a lot of times you don't realize someone isn't stock until after they pull, then it's hard to get the officials to throw them out because they say you should have said something before the pull.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 06, 2013 01:57PM
Box 3lm-466 can run high 3rd or 4th on a binder or 7th on a JD pretty easy. just short of 600 hp. seems pretty fast for a farm class.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 07, 2013 01:12AM
At what rpms? Around here a box 3lm will get you into second at 12500 and maybe first at 14000

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 07, 2013 03:11AM
6mph and 8 mph are great speeds. ive watched altered farm (a near-stock class) and you really start to see a difference in whos got what from 6 to 8. at 6mph a fairly stock 1130 massey is right in the money. at 8 mph the hot IHs and deers start to pull ahead of it.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 07, 2013 03:50AM
I personally prefer Natural Aspirated tractors to run slower than the turbo tractors, for obvious reasons. Either 5 or 6 mph seems to work. The turbo tractors can run 8 pretty easy with some tweaking of the pumps, so anywhere from 8-10 seems to suit them. But to keep it a truly stock pull, they should run about the speed they would do heavy tillage- 5-6 mph. Good luck getting them to show up for such a low speed! Smiling

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 07, 2013 10:02AM
MPH and tire size are the great equalizers in pulling. Anything over 8mph is going to start to favor the higher horsepower tractors and at 8mph a big hp tractor is going to need a pretty good driver to keep from falling victim to any number of things, from breaking the tires loose at the end of the track to simply staying under the mph limit. 8 mph is a good compromise.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 08, 2013 07:40AM
We incorporated the speed limit in SW Wisconsin the last few years because of the many reasons stated above (less teching, less fighting, etc). We have tried different speeds at different locations over the last few years. What we have learned that has seemed to work out the best is -

6-8 MPH non turbo farm class 7500-9500#
10 MPH Turbo Farms 11,000-17,500#
15-18MPH Too Hot To Farm 11,000-12,000#

It has seemed to keep the results fairly close with minimal fighting. The crowd hasn't seemed to thin at all;if anything it has grown due to my personal thoughts that his/her relative(son/grandson/daughter/husband/wife/etc) is not getting beat by 40+feet. Yes the guys with the bigger tractors may want to go faster but they still seem to show up and pull.

Just my two cents on what we have been trying
Brian Mueller

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 08, 2013 07:50AM
If there is a speed limit then why limit the lighter classes to non-turbo? If you are going to have a speed limit then don't limit tractors by the other rules. I have a smaller displacement diesel tractor with a turbo, but I wouldn't be able to pull in those classes but an 800 cubic inch gasoline tractor could. That seems really stupid.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 09, 2013 01:20AM
Our local club puts the non-turbo guys in their own class, where they can run cuts and/or radials and whatever speed they want. The lighter speed limit classes 5500, 6500, 7500 are open to turbo and non-turbo. Although in the above situation, I think there should be an exception that 4-cylinders with turbos should be allowed. I have seen that rule in other places, which reads something like "no turbos on 6-cylinder tractors below 9500 in stock (speed limit) classes" or something.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 08, 2013 08:41AM
Not wanting to tech is laziness. MPH classes are ridiculously boring to watch and at 18MPH why even have one? At least have an open in conjunction with the MPH classes.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 10, 2013 01:07AM
At Harford Pa. Fair pull they have pace and non pace class. It's up to the puller which class they want to pull in. They know up front if they pull non pace they will be against the stronger tractors. This seems to work well. Less bickering.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 10, 2013 12:46PM
The only true way to have a farm stock class were a true farm stock tractor can stand a chance is to put them on a pto dyno and set a horsepower limit for the different weight classes with some type of tolerance for being over factory rated horsepower.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 10, 2013 10:43PM
I don't know where you pull, but here in upstate N.Y. I've never seen a pto dyno at a pull,but I have seen a lot of times when tractors with no pto pulled in so-called "stock" classes.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 10, 2013 05:40AM
lazy
Not wanting to tech is laziness. MPH classes are ridiculously boring to watch and at 18MPH why even have one? At least have an open in conjunction with the MPH classes.

I agree that the low speed classes are too slow to hold the attention of the average pull fan, HOWEVER for the beginning puller this is a excellent way to make pulling more affordable for the average guy. In a 12000# class it will take almost twice the power to go from a 8mph class to a 12mph class. This extra power does NOT cost twice as much, usually it is much more than that. To then go to a 18mph class ups the cost more than many beginners (or their wives) will permit.. SImple $$ realities.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 11, 2013 01:03AM
I think the point that everyone is missing here is that the mile per hour pulls are not good for fan bases, that's why we're here b/c of the fans and too many pullers think it's about them not the fans.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 11, 2013 01:55AM
Maybe
I think the point that everyone is missing here is that the mile per hour pulls are not good for fan bases, that's why we're here b/c of the fans and too many pullers think it's about them not the fans.

I disagree with mph pulls not being good for fan bases. While they are obviously not everybody's or maybe anybody's favorite, fans come to see a show. A show consists of a full field of tractors with lots of color variety. A class with a reasonable speed limit that levels the playing field for all makes, models and budgets is almost certain to provide this, where open rules seem to guarantee the exact opposite. Seen lots of clubs over the last 30 years or so let their "farm stock" classes get out of hand with regard to the amount of money required to compete, always with the consequence of fewer competitors over time, which leads to more empty seats in the grandstand. Anybody that thinks people won't turn out to see 6, 8, or 12 mph tractors should go check out a Missouri Farm Pullers show. Full classes at every event with plenty of spectators. Speed limits are hated most by the pullers that think it's all about them, not the other way around.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 11, 2013 05:49AM
Not enforcing rules is what kills classes, that and the "good ole boy" mentality at most places. Can't compete when you're the only one having to abide by the rules. If you limit the air, you will limit the power. Period. 2.31 STOCK inlets won't allow for a fast class or a ton of power. If nothing else have a turbo buyback but stay away from MPH classes if for no other reason than to keep that horn from blowin half way down the track. The problem in tractorpulling seems to be that everyone thinks they should've won and the fans pay for it.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 11, 2013 06:19AM
lazy
Not enforcing rules is what kills classes, that and the "good ole boy" mentality at most places. Can't compete when you're the only one having to abide by the rules. If you limit the air, you will limit the power. Period. 2.31 STOCK inlets won't allow for a fast class or a ton of power. If nothing else have a turbo buyback but stay away from MPH classes if for no other reason than to keep that horn from blowin half way down the track. The problem in tractorpulling seems to be that everyone thinks they should've won and the fans pay for it.

So what do you do with a tractor that is factory equipped with a turbo larger than 2.31? Tell him and his family to stay home? sounds like some fast negative feedback would be made and we all know 1 bad comment goes farther than 100 good comments!

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 11, 2013 06:29AM
2.33 is a box stock 3LM, what 2wd tractor came from the factory with somehting bigger and a mechanical pump?

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 11, 2013 12:51PM
Years ago at Lanesville Indiana they would put the farm stock tractors on the dyno. One more thing you could also do is not let any tractor pull in a weight class that is under the shipping weight of the tractor. I have seen plenty of tractors run 15 to 18 mph with a box 3lm.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 12, 2013 12:57AM
I'd really like to see a tractor run 15-18 mph with a box stock 3lm. That's a tiny inlet hole and it would take over 500 horse to pull 15mph in a 12-14K class for instance.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 12, 2013 02:23AM
Feel free to get on the the internet and go to youtube and watch you self. I personally have a Ford that will run 7th gear at 11000 and 13000 pounds with a box 3lm.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 12, 2013 03:40AM
Got a link, or a name? I'd like to see this too.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 12, 2013 04:06AM
Don't know where blueprint is from but I have a Ford 9600 that will run 7th gear on most tracks at 13000lbs. with a box 3lm. Go to youtube and type in Shelbyville 13000 farm stock. And yes that is a true 3lm that was used when tractor was built. It will get under the charger just about every time though.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 12, 2013 04:57AM
IMO, a farmstock tractor turbo will not "go under." Turbo cavitation is usually never present on a tractor in the field and you can pull them down to a dead stop. It would seem that the "box stock" isn't so stock if it gets underneath of it and starts chirping. Usually that's too big of an A/R housing I thought.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 12, 2013 05:00AM
Those are some cool vids, especially the one onboard...gets me through winter.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 12, 2013 06:11AM
I ran a 4430 at on time with a 466 and stolk head with a box 3lm-466 and water injection. Also had a stolk injection pump with bigger injectors. I advanced the timming and ran only 3000 rpms. I could run 7th gear with 20.8 at a speed of 16.5 mph and it would run out at the end almost 95% of the time, but the good thing was that even though it did run out of power it did so farther down the track than everone else. We tried 6th and spun out but always went farther in 7th running out. The name of the game is speed the fastest one down the track will probably always win. If you make the speed limit slow it takes good driving, good tractor weight placement, correct air in tires and above all lots of rpms and when to nail the throttle to win. If you make the speed limit fast it takes whatever gear to be just under it and hope you run out farther down the track than the rest.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 12, 2013 06:21AM
used to could
The name of the game is speed the fastest one down the track will probably always win.

But if you have a sled operator that has a setup for farm stock pulling then it's not a drag race to the pan drop. Make it pull hard out of the hole and the guys that want to run high gears will either roast the clutch or never light the charger under 3K RPM (which is more than plenty in a farm stock class, it really should be 2800 IMO).

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 12, 2013 08:14AM
the one thing that makes a big difference in farm is a good set of tires,dont want to pyle a loty of dirt but have a sharp edge to bite

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 12, 2013 01:26PM
To one sweet 6030 the pull with the on board camera was at 3000 rpm with a 2.5 hx 50 charger and 7th gear and spin out. The rest of the videos are with the box 3lm and 2600 rpms. And to non believer I pull in Kentucky and any time you want you can come see for yourself. And does it matter if you choke if you choke in front of everybody else.

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 12, 2013 05:24AM
you guys are forgetting that your talking to a ford puller. please do not stoop to his level, he is pulling ur chain. i have a 4020 with a 3lm and a inline pump 466, i can run 8th if i want, but it "gets under" at 100 foot..lolololol haha so is this still considered running 8th gear???? pulling a gear and being able to handle the gear ur in is two very different things!!!! beleive me not, this is prolly coming from ford puller from southern indiana or eastern indiana..

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 10, 2013 03:40AM
Speed limit is the way to go for your pulling ideas ,these other guys need to understand the topic- and spendin daddys money on their little machines,

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 11, 2013 06:17AM
set up the sled for a tractor pull instead of a drag race and you won't have to worry about the big chargers either

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 12, 2013 10:00AM
We pull Missouri Farm Pullers 11500& 12500 12.5 mph and IFPA Farm Stock 11500& 13500 where we can stretch our legs a little bit in 7th gear with a stock box 3LM and model 100 pump. Watch on you tube at bendas1982

Re: Farm Stock MPH Limits March 12, 2013 02:51PM
Running 8 mph and 12 mph classes in Ramsey Illinois, Butler Illinois, and Shumway Illinois. Have large digital display for distance and speed. If anyone is interested pm me for more info.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,775, Posts: 229,944, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,031.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009