reverse colant flow on a limited pro February 16, 2009 01:50PM
Has anyone tried reversing the colant flow on a tractor to try to cool the head first and then the block. Just wondering if anyones tried that and the results. I know on some race snowmobiles, they cool the head first. Just wondering about on a tractor. Thanks

Re: reverse colant flow on a limited pro February 17, 2009 01:24AM
Most heads are filled with mortar there aint no water up there.

Re: reverse colant flow on a limited pro February 21, 2009 10:02AM
I would like to know also, it makes sense

Re: reverse colant flow on a limited pro February 21, 2009 09:42PM
We put the water in the head on our ih hot farm first, don't know if it seemed to help cool anybetter or not, didn't hurt anything though, with a good water pump circulating the water it goes threw out the engine fast enough that it don't make much differance, like someone said below alot of heads are filled specially when you get into the bigger classes gota be filled to get enough flow. we went to a dry head when went to limited pro, but i would run water into head first again if i had another wet head.

Re: reverse colant flow on a limited pro February 21, 2009 10:35PM
I found you can make a big difference in cooling by feeding coolant into the back end of the motor through a frost plug hole.I used a electric pump from Agchem called tiger pump, gives the rest of the motor a fighting chance at proper cooling during the short full power run down the track! Also you can leave the pump and fan running,shut down the motor and still cool it down evenly between runs.

Re: reverse colant flow on a limited pro February 22, 2009 03:00AM
You are pretty much waisting your time running your cooling system while running down the track, in that 12-15 seconds it doesn't make much differance while going down the track, its gonna get hot going down the track no matter what, cool down starts when you let out of the throttle, so if heat is a problem definatly like jim said put a electric fan and pump on so can cool tractor down while its not running.

Re: reverse colant flow on a limited pro February 22, 2009 05:06AM
If you run the coolant through the head first, do you have to worry about the coolant draining out of the block because the return would be lower than the head. Hard to explain, but if take you time, you will know what I am talking about. Do you need to restrict the flow out of the block so it can keep the block full of water and give the radiator more time to cool?? thanks

Re: reverse colant flow on a limited pro February 22, 2009 07:16AM
Water entering block from front and rear and exiting the head with electric pump and fan =160 degrees at end of a run. pump off 200+ at end of run

Re: reverse colant flow on a limited pro February 22, 2009 10:33PM
Second pump did even out temps from front to back-back cylinders did not tighten up as much as before the extra flow was instituted , My water temps. will go from 160 to 220 on a cool night and 240+ on a warm night,so I agree that cooling during your run is minimal at best!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,948, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,033.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009