Adjusting valves in a 400 series IH April 11, 2013 10:39AM
What is the proper way to adjust the valves in a 400 series IH with rocker rollers and a prostock cam. Roll each cylinder up on TDC ??. They tell me not to do it by the manual.

Re: Adjusting valves in a 400 series IH April 11, 2013 11:41AM
Willing to learn, hope someone explains. THEY must not trust cam builder. Clearence can be different but proceedure? Instructions have always been provided with cam spec.

Re: Adjusting valves in a 400 series IH April 11, 2013 12:25PM
Tdc 1,2,3,6,7,10 rotate 360 back to tdc 4,5,8,9,11,12. Thats how we do it. Hope this helps.

Re: Adjusting valves in a 400 series IH April 11, 2013 01:56PM
That is the procedure we have used for stock motors however with these new cam grinds I wonder if there is a better way.

Re: Adjusting valves in a 400 series IH April 11, 2013 02:28PM
one valve at a time. Its not rocket sience. If you cant figure out setting valves than maybe someone else should be putting your motor together.

Re: Adjusting valves in a 400 series IH April 12, 2013 01:31AM
Actually bought a complete tractor and was going to run the valves. I know how to adjust valves just thought I would ask. Always looking for a better way.

Re: Adjusting valves in a 400 series IH April 11, 2013 11:42PM
tdc on compression stroke

Re: Adjusting valves in a 400 series IH April 12, 2013 04:37AM
The best way to set valves is the way your engine builder or cam grinder recommends. That said, there are also good reasons (higher lift, longer duration, advanced lobe centerline) why setting valve lash on a performance application using the stock engine shop manual method is not necessarily ideal. Long story short, valve timing events are more aggressive and exaggerated, and do not occur at exactly the same point of crankshaft rotation as on a stock engine.

This method works for any 4 cycle engine and particularly well for aggressive/advanced profiles because it assures that the lifter is actually on the base of the cam lobe regardless of profile, advance, or crank position. Taking each cylinder one at a time, set the intake when the exhaust just starts to open and set the exhaust after the intake has fully opened and is almost closed. It is absolutely critical to rotate the engine in the correct direction when using this method and, as with any valve setting procedure, make sure you don't get your intakes and exhausts confused and DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING when you get done.

Re: Adjusting valves in a 400 series IH April 12, 2013 05:05AM
Thanks for the help

Re: Adjusting valves in a 400 series IH April 12, 2013 11:50PM
How about 1 cylinder at TDC on compression at a time?

Re: Adjusting valves in a 400 series IH April 13, 2013 12:06AM
That was my procedure however they may be some slight lobe overlap in that position on some of these high performance cams. I think the exhaust valve would be okay to adjust that way however the intake valve is just closing before compression

Re: Adjusting valves in a 400 series IH April 13, 2013 01:07AM
just make sure that your rockers are loose when you adjust the lash

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,954, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,037.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009