shimming rist pin April 18, 2013 01:48AM
Has any one ever shimmed a rist pin to center the rod on the crank

Re: shimming rist pin April 18, 2013 12:25PM
Pretty sketchy information here. I have no idea what in Sam Hill you're trying to do but, in my mind the conn rod should never move sideways enough to touch the piston on the pin end. The side to side movement of the conn rod is controlled by the connecting rod journal on the crankshaft. Is your conn rod straight??? Did someone just make a stroker crank for you ??

Re: shimming rist pin April 18, 2013 12:36PM
Do not shim the rod or wrist pin. Float the rod on the wrist pin. Putting pressure on the pin or rod to control where it is will cause much bigger problems. If it does not center in the crank, find out why, and fix that.

Re: shimming rist pin April 18, 2013 01:20PM
trying to run a narrower rod on the crank side with the same size bearing as stock but if it would float over to far it would hit taper on the crank and it will tear the bearing out so i put a shim on each side of the connecting so it cant float over so far there is still float room just not as much

Re: shimming rist pin April 18, 2013 01:31PM
A lot of high perfomance engines center the rod at the piston and float at the crank 8500 rpm circul track cars no problem but if you have an excesive amount at the rod you will loose oil pressure and you will get no lube on the cylender walls ive done been through that using deutze rods in a 5,9 cummins ended up weding up the crank

Re: shimming rist pin April 18, 2013 01:45PM
its only bout 1/8 in on each side but the bearing is the same as stock

Re: shimming rist pin April 18, 2013 11:42PM
Are you sure these rods you have chosen are even strong enough for what you're trying to do??? What engine make and stroke is the crankshaft?? What engine make and cubes are the narrow rods from??

Re: shimming rist pin April 19, 2013 04:34AM
Yea there actually bigger then the stock the just narrower on the crank side becaus there out of a v8 and im puttin them in dt466

Re: shimming rist pin April 18, 2013 02:07PM
What is the point of running a narrow rod?

Re: shimming rist pin April 18, 2013 02:19PM
because i wanted a longer rod and it just happend to be a little narrower then stock

Re: shimming rist pin April 18, 2013 06:45PM
Oh ic

Re: shimming rist pin April 19, 2013 03:12AM
What you are talking about is called a piston guided rod setup. This is done all the time in cup engines and on prostock engines. the main advantage is more power due to less friction loss and a lighter rod as well.

Re: shimming rist pin April 19, 2013 05:53AM
There is a huge difference between a "cup engine" and a turbo charged pulling engine. "Light" parts bend and break and love to come out the side or bottom on a pulling engine. I would love to see a Cup motor with 250 pounds of boost applied to it. It would not last 1 second when the turbo spooled up. I have never seen a rod bearing wider than the sides of the rod, and required to locate the rod on the crank. Remember, there are fans that can get hurt with flying parts, and track officials that are within a few feet of the pulling tractor going down the track. Safety should come first. If you need a different length rod, install a billet rod made to your spec's of the correct width and length. It may be more expensive than a "stock" rod of incorrect width, but cheaper than a exploded engine, and injured people!

Re: shimming rist pin April 19, 2013 06:41AM
the bearing ISNT wider than the rod on stock ih 466 rod there is a taper on both side of the rod on these v8 rods ther is about the same taper on one side but other side is machined down a little bit to fit the 2 rods on the v8 so if the rod would float over enough to that one side it would have a chance of tearing the bearing out on the taper of the crank

Re: shimming rist pin April 19, 2013 07:07AM
can you machine a tapper on it the other side? its been done before when they make a billet crank with more radius in the journal?

Re: shimming rist pin April 19, 2013 07:38AM
I have seen a sort of buttons on each side of the rod base....to run to the crank...this can control the amount of float
and can center your rod and it helps the bearing stay away from the journal radius.

Re: shimming rist pin April 19, 2013 01:50PM
what v 8 are the rods from i would like to no the deutz ro rods i used in the cummins were alot narrower than the cummins 1 inch longer and 1/4 inch smaller rod journl i first shimmed the piston that kept the rod centerd but i lost oil pressure and the cylender walls wasnot getting oiled for 250 corrnets welded the crank and narowed it to the deutz specs now its been perfect ever since thats what i recomend if your wanting to run those rods

Re: shimming rist pin April 20, 2013 01:54AM
The ih rod is over 1/4" wider than the stock bearing so I'm putting the ih bearing in the other rods and the rod is still wider than the bearing so the bearing is not going to be out side of the rod if i run the same bearing as an ih I shouldn't have an oil pressure problem as lone as i keep it centred on the crank by shimming the rist pin. Will that work or not

Re: shimming rist pin April 20, 2013 02:10PM
Try it than u will know

Re: shimming rist pin April 20, 2013 03:21PM
the clearence between the rod and crank plays a factor in the oil pressure because it has to squeez out between the jouranal also to much the oil will just pour out the sides and wont spray to keep the cylenders lubed good luck it didnt work for me shimms did keep the rods centerd but i went from 100 pounds oil press to 45 same eng oil pump and all

Re: shimming rist pin April 21, 2013 04:00AM
I don't like the idea that i might lose oil pressure. The IH has piston oilers and I do have the option of turning my oil pressure up

Re: shimming rist pin April 21, 2013 09:30AM
Oil pressure is determined by volume delivered versus how many leaks there are downstream from the pump. In your case you won't be able to increase your oil pressure one bit because you'll have too many leaks.

Re: shimming rist pin April 21, 2013 12:26AM
Maybe some zip ties and a coat hanger would work. It sounds like this rod is quite a bit narrower than stock. I hope you know what you are doing. I would hate to see someone get hurt if a rod let loose or broke. Go billet and be done with it.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,731, Posts: 229,864, Members: 3,332.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,984.

Our newest member WestonFarms