wisconsin cdl requirements? April 23, 2013 08:00AM
I've been hearing that in Wisconsin you have to have a cdl to pull your truck/tractor on a trailer to the pulls. Does anyone actually know what the law is? I can't seem to get a straight answer out of the dmv or the state patrol.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 23, 2013 08:11AM
Stay under 26000 lbs. Then you don't need one

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 23, 2013 08:27AM
That's what I always thought, but one of the guys from the club I'm starting to pull with said that there's new laws. Something about, if the trailer has a gvw over 10000# that a cdl is required.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 23, 2013 08:36AM
THE LAW IS THAT IF U HAVE A COMBINED WEIGHT OVER 26000 POUNDS U NEED A CLASS B CDL IF THE TRAILER WEIGHTS OVER 10000 POUNDS AND WITH THE COMBINED WEIGHT IS OVER 26000 POUNDS U NEED A CLASS A CDL

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 23, 2013 09:02AM
Try looking up to he rules on the DMV website. I had a buddy get pulled over with his truck and trailer and a puller and he got a ticket for it and he went and got his now. They did change all the rules around recently.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 23, 2013 09:54AM
I DEAL WITH LICENCING AT WORK DOT # MEANS COMMERCIAL PLATES WHICH MEANING U HAVE TO FILE UR HOBBY ON UR TAXES WHICH MEANS MORE $$$ IF U DRIVE A TRUCK WITH 8000 LBS. PLATES AND UR TRAILER IS PLATED FOR 18000 LBS. OR UNDER U DONT HAVE TO HAVE A CDL OR DOT # IF U STAY IN WISCONSIN

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 23, 2013 09:40AM
If over 10000# you need a DOT # if you are involved in commerse. (you get paid to win and there for commerse) At least thats what the race car guys are telling me.
CDL if over 26000#

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 23, 2013 12:43PM
jeremyroff
If over 10000# you need a DOT # if you are involved in commerse. (you get paid to win and there for commerse) At least thats what the race car guys are telling me.
CDL if over 26000#

This is correct. And it goes by GVWR of the truck and trailer combined not what you current tip the scales at.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 24, 2013 08:46AM
Just because you win prize money does not make you in commerce. You could win a dollar at the fair for the best pumpkin but that don't make you a pumpkin farmer or somehow make you in the pumpkin business.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 24, 2013 04:40PM
If you have RV tag, and you're truck/trailer qualifies, you're good to go....don't need CDL, medical card, or numbers.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 23, 2013 03:35PM
jeremyroff
CDL if over 26000#
Would that be reqiured for me too?

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 23, 2013 11:03AM
They are generally whatever the officer that has you stopped determines them to be. Then it is up to you to prove him wrong.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 23, 2013 03:21PM
Yes & when you take the exact rig they ticketed you in to the testing station to take your CDL test they will refuse to allow you to take the test in it. They will tell you it doesn't meet class A requirements. Gotta love those government folks !!

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 23, 2013 11:30PM
If you do get a DOT number, put it on your truck with a magnet. Take it off when you are not pulling your trailer. If you have the DOT number on the truck when you are not pulling the trailer, you are required to abide by all the DOT rules, including all the required paperwork, and can be ticketed for not complying if you get pulled over for something else.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 23, 2013 11:47PM
Federal definition of commercial motor vehicle 393.5

Means any self-propelled or towed vehicle on public highways in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when: (a.) the vehicle has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of 10,001 or more pounds; or (b.) is a bus; or (c.) transports hazardous material requiring placarding.

Interstate vehicle usdot number. 390.21

Vehicles or a combination of vehicles with a GVWR or CGVWR of 10,001# or more that are involved in interstate commerce must have a usdot number displayed on the outside of the power unit.

Interstate vehicle.

Means a vehicle used in commerce, and crosses any state line, or will be crossing state lines.

Commerce:

Means the transportation of persons or property for a fee (for hire carrier), or the transportation of persons or property in the furtherance of another business (private carrier).
390.3(f)(3) Exception. The occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in furtherance of a commercial enterprise.
390 interpretations: The exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: (1) theunderlying activities are not undertaken for profit. i.e., (a) prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and (b) the cost of the underlying activities is not deducted as a business expense for tax purposes; and, where relevant; (2) corporate sponsorship is not involved.

CDL is required when the vehicle or combination vehicle exceeds 26,001#

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 24, 2013 01:54AM
So if I'm under 26000# but over 10000# I need dot numbers but no cdl?

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 24, 2013 05:25AM
Yes, If you are in commerce. Now the 26,001# is witch ever is the greater of the 2 between the registered weight or gvw (truck+trailer) or combined loaded weight.

So if you use a F-350 10,000# gvw and a tandom dully 20,000# your combined weight is 30,000# empty you need it. Now if your loaded you use the greater weight (so you could be over 30,000# loaded). To obtain a class A you can use your truck and gooseneck but you will not get an air brake endorsement with it for that your test needs to be taking with an air brake truck.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 24, 2013 10:00AM
As long as your vin tag reads 16,000 lbs but if it reads 20,000 lbs your ef'ed. Because they go by the loaded weight together or the vin tags and what the gvw says on them. Been there and paid for it regestered weight means nothing unless they want to ticket you for not having heavy enough plates

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 24, 2013 05:47AM
Trooper
Federal definition of commercial motor vehicle 393.5

Means any self-propelled or towed vehicle on public highways in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when: (a.) the vehicle has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of 10,001 or more pounds; or (b.) is a bus; or (c.) transports hazardous material requiring placarding.

Interstate vehicle usdot number. 390.21

Vehicles or a combination of vehicles with a GVWR or CGVWR of 10,001# or more that are involved in interstate commerce must have a usdot number displayed on the outside of the power unit.

Interstate vehicle.

Means a vehicle used in commerce, and crosses any state line, or will be crossing state lines.

Commerce:

Means the transportation of persons or property for a fee (for hire carrier), or the transportation of persons or property in the furtherance of another business (private carrier).
390.3(f)(3) Exception. The occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in furtherance of a commercial enterprise.
390 interpretations: The exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: (1) theunderlying activities are not undertaken for profit. i.e., (a) prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and (b) the cost of the underlying activities is not deducted as a business expense for tax purposes; and, where relevant; (2) corporate sponsorship is not involved.

CDL is required when the vehicle or combination vehicle exceeds 26,001#

Trooper, I am not trying to be smart here. But who interprets the 390 exemptions? Would a person need to take a copy of their previous years income tax returns with them when they are on the road?

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 24, 2013 07:26AM
JUST PUT NOT FOR HIRE ON THE DOOR AND RUN WITH IT

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 24, 2013 11:01PM
U people are all to paranoid just get in the truck and drive till u are told diffrent

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 24, 2013 08:52AM
If you register your 20K dualie trailer for 16000 and your truck GVW is 10000 which equal 26000, and you actually weigh less than 26000 going down the road, and you are hobby pulling, then you are legal in all aspects both in state and interstate without cdl or dot numbers.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 24, 2013 11:59AM
Like others said that's not correct. They don't go by what it's registered at, they go by what the vin tag wads. I've also been there and found that out the hard way. Also putting not for hire on the door won't really help anything either and a lot of times makes it more like having a bullseye on your truck.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 24, 2013 12:24PM
Some trailer manufacturers will derate the gvw when bought new if you ask. Meaning you can buy say a 14k pound gvw trailer and they will title and tag it as a 10k.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 25, 2013 04:39PM
Don't know about Wis., but no way you're getting a cdl in Ohio if you show up in a pickup. I would not advise showing a tax return to the odot man. He would think you were trying to be a wise@ss. They lack a sence of humor. Definently present it to the judge & challange them there. As I read it a 10,000 lb. tractor on a 18,000gvw trailer that weighs maybe 6,000 empty pulled with a half ton truck = 100% legal without a cdl & 100% more dangerous than 1 ton truck they forced you to get rid of to avoid their bureucratic b.s.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 24, 2013 01:06PM
I got a 20k trailer new and had the dealer put a 16000 vin label on it. My 2500 dodge is rated 9900 so i am legal at 25900 combo. Good thing is once hooked up so long as no axle is overloaded and you are under 25900 total then you can load the trailer over 16000 and still be good to go.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 24, 2013 02:28PM
Trooper? where are you? answer some more questions!

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 25, 2013 02:18AM
Ok let's ease this up a bit. If every dot enforcement officer read the law the same or enforced it the same everyone that uses a 1 ton truck for anything other than farming(tractor pulling is not), working on the house, or just driving would need a dot number. Now just traveling intrastate you won't have as many problems now cross a state boarder you probaly will and that's going to be most of your problems is interstate travel. The chances you will get stopped and checked are slim to non unless you draw attention to yourself (i.e.) drinking (witch now legal limit is .04 in a commercial vehicle) speeding, and so fourth.

Moline. Yes it goes by weight not plates. No log book is needed if you don't cross state lines. You will be asked when you cross a scale or get stopped and you have to stop at an open scale.

Not all states fallow federal law and/or have their own laws. I am most fimular with Wisconsin and Minnasota because of where I work. Keep this in mind also most dot enforcement read the law and enforce the law differently some take it more seriously as some might just do a walk around look at paper work and your on your way.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 24, 2013 12:49PM
So I'd have to keep a log book, get a medical card & everything else to drive a pickup & trailer down the road a dozen times a year totaling maybe a thousand miles but the commercial lawn mower guy can drive around all day every day with a couple zero turns rolling around loose in his trailer & a weed eater & gas can hanging on the side, because he's using a half ton truck ? What if I trade my dually in & pull my tractor around with a 1/2 ton pickup. Would put me under the 26,000 threshold correct? I was flat out told NO WAY you can take CDL test with a dually /gooseneck period, by testing center They seemed offended I asked ! Is maybe raking in some $$ from Joe working guy more the goal here & public safety be damned ?

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 24, 2013 01:39PM
I took my Class A CDL no air brakes with a F-350 and a skidsteer trailer.... They can't tell you no! I went through all this crap in Jan. They questioned me about it and I flat out told them this is what I'm taking it in and they said ok.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 24, 2013 04:42PM
Trooper, If you have private tags on truck and trailer, Non commercial vehicle & not for hire, Do you stilll need DOT numbers, CDL and medical card?

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 25, 2013 02:17AM
F-350 dually, 42' enclosed (10,000 and 15,000 pounds respectively). I keep a copy of 390 code and my tax return in the glovebox just in case. The enforcement officer can be as "nasty" as they want to be and can/will interpret the regulations however he/she sees fit. One thing you don't want to do is to be gregarious or aggressive back at them. Simply present your evidence (copy of regulation and tax return) and claim you are within the law--IF you indeed don't show pulling deductions on your return. If you do claim deductions for the pulling operation and exceed the 10,000 and 26,000 limits, then a CDL with all the attending cards, books, etc. apply. The need for a chauffer's license is a little more cloudy depending on state, or so I understand. Of course, this is my interpretation after talking/questioning various law enforcement officials (getting a straight, in concrete answer is difficult). JW

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 25, 2013 08:54PM
I had a DOT audit a couple of weeks ago and the DOT officer owned antique tractors and took them to shows. He told me when going to shows or pulls to take my door signs off and if I was stopped to show copies of these regs that he gave to me. He stressed that if you had sponsorship, or if you claimed your pulling expenses as a business expense you could not use this exemption.

All Regulations
Part 390

< 390.1 390.5 >
Related Links
Disclaimer
Interpretation
Help
Subpart A - General applicability and definitions

§ 390.3General applicability.
(a) The rules in subchapter B of this chapter are applicable to all employers, employees, and commercial motor vehicles, which transport property or passengers in interstate commerce.
(b) The rules in part 383, Commercial Driver's License Standards; Requirements and Penalties, are applicable to every person who operates a commercial motor vehicle, as defined in §383.5 of this subchapter, in interstate or intrastate commerce and to all employers of such persons.
(c) The rules in part 387, Minimum Levels of Financial Responsibility for Motor Carriers, are applicable to motor carriers as provided in § 387.3 or § 387.27 of this subchapter.
(d) Additional requirements. Nothing in subchapter B of this chapter shall be construed to prohibit an employer from requring and enforcing more stringent requirements relating to safety of operation and employee safety and health.
(e) Knowledge of and compliance with the regulations. (1) Every employer shall be knowledgeable of and comply with all regulations contained in this subchapter which are applicable to that motor carrier's operations.
(2) Every driver and employee shall be instructed regarding, and shall comply with, all applicable regulations contained in this subchapter.
(3) All motor vehicle equipment and accessories required by this subchapter shall be maintained in compliance with all applicable performance and design criteria set forth in this subchapter.
(f) Exceptions. Unless otherwise specifically provided, the rules in this subchapter do not apply to—
(1) All school bus operations as defined in §390.5, except for the provisions of §§ 391.15(f), 392.80, and 392.82 of this chapter.
(2) Transportation performed by the Federal government, a State, or any political subdivision of a State, or an agency established under a compact between States that has been approved by the Congress of the United States;
(3) The occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise;

Pay attention to 390.3 (3)

Question 21: Does the exemption in §390.3(f)(3) for the ‘‘occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise’’ apply to persons who occasionally use CMVs to transport cars, boats, horses, etc., to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events?

Guidance: The exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: (1) The underlying activities are not undertaken for profit, i.e., (a) prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and (b) the cost of the underlying activities is not deducted as a business expense for tax purposes; and, where relevant; (2) corporate sponsorship is not involved. Drivers must confer with their State of licensure to determine the licensing provisions to which they are subject.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 26, 2013 06:48AM
Kip. But Do you still need a cdl if your transporter is over 26,000? I understand the money part.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 27, 2013 11:09PM
I'm probably not the person to answer that for you Brian. I've really not researched it because I already have a CDL. I do believe that you could be required a CDL at 26000 GCVW in some states and as low as 10000 GCVW in some other states. There is an exemption for farm plated vehicles, at least here in Ohio, because I know of farmers driving semis here without CDL's. A farm vehicle can be used for personal use other than farm but not other business or commercial. The farm plates don't work well crossing state lines and traveling over 150 miles.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 26, 2013 11:47AM
Yes anything over 26000lbs you have to have a CDL. My question is to trooper is do you have to carry more insurance on your trailer if you have a CDL and a DOT.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 26, 2013 01:40PM
No you do not unless you are for hire and hauling other people's property. If still hauling your own stuff then no, nothing changes.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 28, 2013 01:32AM
I think this insurance issue depends on the company your with. My company will cover you on the trailer if your tow vehicles GVW is 10000 or under with the tow vehicle liability (regardless of total vehicle weight) from the tow vehicles policy, but If the GVW of the tow vehicle is over 10000 then you have to buy a separate liability policy for the trailer. Like on a Ford truck that GVW change happen at the F-350 / F-450 range. Now my brother has a different insurance company and his liability on the heavier GVW vehicles will extend but he has to provide the trailer vin and pay an extra premium per vin number to cover the trailer. So both companys basicly only cover trailer that are listed on a policy. So folks better take a good look at what going on because different insurance companys do it different ways.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 28, 2013 02:43PM
People need to write their legilators & let it be known that CDL's & all the accompanying headaches , insurance issues & their costs for driving a pickup truck is one of their more assinine accomplishments,& there are many to chose from. True to form they couldn't even write it clear enough that their own enforcement agents can understand it, let alone the general public. We may not have lobbyist, but we can still vote!

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 13, 2020 09:31PM
I honestly think a movement by voters that are affected by this complex set of laws & regulation needs to happen while Trump is prez or we will never see an improvement. If you ask 10 people about this you get 10 different answers & that includes the cops. You have to wonder if it's intentional so the cop have a lot of leeway to mess with us. The way it is now people have the incentive to drive a small 3/4 ton pick up with heavy trailers. Where a heaver 350,450,550 trucks would provide more safety but instead of being rewarded for being safety conscious we are penalized for it every chance they get.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 14, 2020 12:57AM
Best answer is send a detailed email to your state DOT office and ask for a written reply. (I got a phone call follow up but I told them my hearing was not real clear at the moment so I got a full email from them) Then print this out and carry it with you. If you tell an officer you got your information from an internet web site it probably won't fly.

I am in Indiana and went thru this in 2019. Pickup and empty tandem single tire gooseneck driving in your wonderful state of Wisconsin. DOT officer insisted I need a CDL or be parked until a replacement driver with CDL came and drove the truck out of the state. I was always respectful and polite. I showed the officer the email, complete with the name of the sender and phone number. Wisconsin officer read it, smiled, and said sorry for inconvenience. Have a safe trip.

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 14, 2020 02:27AM
A smile and being very word usage conscience is very helpful, honor the person and show respect for the person stopping you, most are wonderful if not threatened and harrassed, people try every day to push the limits and laws, unfortunately too many are open for interpretations as we all see it differently.Was in S.D. at an open scale, trooper asked if I won any money with my puller, I said no, he asked about trophies,I showed him the ones which I had won, he said that made me commercial -- I handed the trophies to him and said he could have them since the value was so high, he said get the heck going down the road. Looking good with proper tie downs, same color fenders and doors, good tires, polite attitude and a smile with neatness and closed mouth helps a lot,being a smart mouth know it all seldom helps your cause, but the proper statutes are good to know and have, -- WITH RESPECT, CAUSE THEY WILL HAVE THE FINAL SAY ABOUT YOUR FREEDOM THAT MOMENT AND DAY.MANY STATES SAY NO PICKUPS IN THE SCALES UNLESS COMMERCIAL, BUT SOME THINK PULLING IS COMMERCIAL,

Re: wisconsin cdl requirements? April 14, 2020 02:39AM
I am from Ohio and currently have a class A CDL so it’s not a big deal for me. I do understand what guys worry about when you get to a chicken coop (scale house), you wonder do I pull in or do I blow by and hope they don’t chase me down. Well here is a bit of advise that has worked MOST of the time. Just look like you belong make sure you are tied down with enough chains extra is always a good idea, put your window down so they can see you have your seatbelt on. Turn your head lights on. Do everything and extra to make them not wonder if the scale say cross at 5 mph cross at 3 mph not 10. Just remember the only one that knows your not legal is you. The most important thing that I can share with you and just think about this is. YOU ONLY BREAK ONE LAW AT A TIME.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,748, Posts: 229,892, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,087, Posts: 225,995.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM