Jd brakes May 05, 2013 06:11AM
I put wilwood master cyclinders on my 4430 using the stock brakes. I can't seem to get the brake pedals to become hard when i push on them. I think I got all the air out. What do I do.

Re: Jd brakes May 05, 2013 02:29PM
I have that same problem with my 4010

Re: Jd brakes May 05, 2013 02:39PM
did you bleed them at rear of trans. you can call me 417-262-1466

Re: Jd brakes May 05, 2013 06:09PM
Did you drain all of the brake fluid and replace it with a DOT automotive fluid?

If not, the tractor fluid ruins the seals in the master cylinders.

Good luck!

Re: Jd brakes May 05, 2013 11:28PM
Do you need to replace the seals in the brakes. I was told the DOT fluid would eat the seals out in the brakes and you need to put different seals in.

Re: Jd brakes May 05, 2013 11:59PM
Yes you should replace the O-Rings with Viton O-Rings so that they will hold up to the automotive brake fluid
The Master cylinders don't move enough fluid to push the brake pucks out if they are too far away from the brake disc
A trick that I have found that works is to pull the brake pads out further then they need to be and them put your assembly back together without the gaskets in place for the planetary’s, once you have everything back together bleed your brakes and you should have a good pedal but your axles will probably be hard to turn
Then reinstall the planetary gaskets and this will give you the clearance between the brake pads and the disc so that you have a good brake pedal and your brakes shouldn’t drag
It is best to make sure that your brake discs are not warped as this will affect how well your brakes work also

Hope this helps

Mike Langan
402-910-6949

Re: Jd brakes May 08, 2013 01:53AM
Could a warpped brake plate make my brake pedal soft.

Re: Jd brakes May 08, 2013 08:56AM
myn was warped i changed them it helped some not enough tho

Re: Jd brakes May 08, 2013 09:06AM
How big of piston does your master cylinder have? if it is too small, it will not have enough volume to move all three brake pistons before the master cylinder runs out of stroke. We used 1" pistons and it works well.

Re: Jd brakes May 08, 2013 09:36AM
1". Going to get new brake plate. Put new o rings in and use brake fluid. What are my options for o rings. Trying to find some around town and can't. I might have to rebuild my master cyclinder because I put hydrolic oil in it. How fast does that hurt the wilwood master cyclinder. Thanks for all the info.

Re: Jd brakes May 08, 2013 10:29AM
If you put hydraulic oil in the master cylinder, that is probably your problem. I am not sure how long it will take but the oil makes the cup in the master cylinder swell up. So when you let off the pedal, the swelled cup is still blocking off the hole where more fluid should be drawn down into the bore of the master cylinder. Orings are available from mcmaster-carr.

Re: Jd brakes May 08, 2013 12:58PM
What about the paper washer or whatever it is that's by the o ring. Get new from john deere or is there something different I should use.

Re: Jd brakes May 09, 2013 03:46PM
save the hassle and get some masters from mico systems they build them for use with hyd fluids and are dual stage to take up the free travel then build pressure with a smaller piston . works great don't look as cool as willwoods but , your tractor don't look too cool plastered in the wall at the track.

Re: Jd brakes September 20, 2017 03:08PM
Does any one have the model designation for the MICO master cylinders needed to work with the OEM Deere internal brakes? I do know there are 2 different style mounting set ups. Thanks in advance.

Re: Jd brakes November 12, 2013 03:31AM
Not to drag up another old Brake thread... but
What do you use for O-Rings that will handle the brake fuild on the factory brake pistons.. (JD 4020) What type of material do I need to look for?
Thanks

Re: Jd brakes November 12, 2013 02:10PM
I covered the stock brake piston o-ring in DOT brake fluid for 4 days and let it soak, the o-ring did not swell or get softer so I didn't try to find different o-rings,
that was 2 years ago with no problems. Try soaking an o-ring yourself, it will either be ok or all you loose is an o-ring and some brake fluid.

Re: Jd brakes November 13, 2013 12:01AM
you need a Viton o ring for that application to hold up to brake fluid. Mcmaster Carr has them same size as your originals. youll need the measurement of your stock o ring. use a new set of stock backup washers for the o rings from John Deere

Re: Jd brakes November 13, 2013 06:56AM
Thanks guys... This looks to be the correct O-Ring if you have the 2.25 Diameter Pistons.. (I found two different sizes of pistons and Orings in the parts book..) I'll have to check mine tonight..

[www.mcmaster.com]

ID of 56.515mm (2.225 In)
Cross of 5.334mm (.21 In)

Viton® fluoroelastomer resists chemicals and oil. Temperature range is -15° to +400° F. Durometer hardness is A75. Meets ASTM D2000/SAE J200. Color is black.

Viton® ETP fluoroelastomer has greater chemical resistance.
AS568A Dash Number 331
Fractional Size
ID 2 1/4"
OD 2 5/8"
Actual Inch Size
ID 2.225"
OD 2.645"
Additional Specifications Viton® Fluoroelastomer
Width: 3/16" Fractional (0.210" Actual)

Re: Jd brakes January 06, 2014 10:53AM
How much volume is required for a master cylinder to be used with stock internal brakes JD4430?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,625, Posts: 229,687, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,899.

Our newest member JD_8520