Needing help with crank gear March 26, 2018 03:51PM
Having troubles with my timing being off each time after I start the tractor. I can time it that 36° then run it for a couple minutes and after I shut it off it is at 50°. The pump gear is not slipping. I believe maybe the crank gear is slipping. What is the best way to weld the gear to the crank. How do you take the oil pump gear off. Is the only way to take the crank out? IH 466

Re: Needing help with crank gear March 27, 2018 02:59AM
Don't start it any more, timing has changed enough you will bend some valves, they are out of time also. Take front cover off, heat the oil pump gear to 400 degrees, will slip right off, be careful not to burn your hands. Heat gear to 400 deg., might have to let crank cool off first, will be tougher to do but will work. Make sure both gears are new, Endurance has a good gear at 1/4 price of caseih gears, have to put in new alignment pin in crank, roll pin will work, then do reverse of disassemble, heat to 400 slide on, weld in three spots spaced even with tig or can use standard wire welder if done right, cut or grind splits to clear welds to crank, heat and slide on. Might be better description than this, but will get it done. Make sure re degree engine for TDC on timing marks because new gear will be very close but will need to be checked.

Re: Needing help with crank gear March 27, 2018 03:29AM
Yep, just take off the front cover, take old gears off, put new on. If the crank is a little scratched up from the old gear turning a little, Don't try to sand it or smooth it out much because you want the new gear on there tight. As stated, three evenly spaced tig welds about a half inch long will be fine. Tig welds work best because they have a smaller profile with great strength with no weld spatter or excessive filler. Then you can either notch out the oil pump drive gear to clear the welds, or if you have access to a lathe and the welds are consistent you can turn a big enough chamfer on the inside of the oil pump gear to give clearance for the welds.

Re: Needing help with crank gear March 28, 2018 01:00AM
Thanks for the help. Darin can you call me?

Re: Needing help with crank gear March 28, 2018 01:07PM
call me @ 402-239-7372 tomorrow

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,675, Posts: 229,777, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member Jason