Which Class would it be? March 17, 2019 07:24AM
Hey all...This question is inspired by the great show put on at the Keystone Nationals...

It was interesting to me how many people I watched leave after the 6200 pound 4x4 Truck class. This is not the first time I’ve seen this phenomenon. Very often I see people clear out after a particular truck class...

So it got me thinking...If you had to go and watch only one class and then get up and leave, what would it be? Would it be a truck class? A tractor class? Why that class?

I’ll start. First, let me say that I like anything that burns diesel fuel the best but I do like many classes and love going to a good tractor pull...But in spirit of the question I will pick just one...

It’d have to be the Light Limited Super Stocks. I like the tractor classes best. Plus I like the variety of colors and combinations. I also love the High HP to Weight Ratio of this class.

That’s me...What about you?

Re: Which Class would it be? March 17, 2019 02:39PM
One class I would go for and leave would be light pro stock.

The class I generally don’t watch, street diesel or eve the class above street. Just so many of them and lots break.

Re: Which Class would it be? March 17, 2019 03:17PM
Yeah,love the 4x4 noisemakers!

Re: Which Class would it be? March 17, 2019 04:13PM
I pull a light super in Illinois. If I went to an indoor pull as a spectator, it would probably be the twd truck class first as long as that class was not the last class that pulled. 2nd to that would be mini rods and 3rd would be 4x4's. Reason being is that none of them look the same at an indoor pull. At an outdoor pull to me it doesn't matter as I would stay for the whole show as a spectator to see everything and that includes the smoke that you don't see at an INDOOR pull. And that's just me also.

Re: Which Class would it be? March 18, 2019 03:24AM
Especially at an indoor pull, I’d want to see the TWD class then the minis. I guess a third would be the alky tractor classes. In general, I’m there as a spectator from first hook to the last. You paid for the whole show, why wouldn’t you?

Re: Which Class would it be? March 18, 2019 06:11AM
I agree with you 100% Mostly the same...If I paid for the whole thing I’m Staying!!! It doesn’t matter if it’s indoor or not. And whether or not it’s a class I do or don’t like. It surprises me how many people don’t view it that way tho.

Would anyone’s answer change if it was outdoors? Because I see this happen at both indoor and outdoor events...

Re: Better question March 18, 2019 06:39AM
What time would it be? I've seen many people leave after 10, 10:30, or 11 than I have because a certain class hooks.

Re: Better question March 18, 2019 07:38AM
I don’t notice it being affected by time in my circumstances often. I’ll give you the example that I saw this weekend...

6:30 show start time...

2 tractor classes pulled - It was the finals so that was only 8 MAYBE 12 tractors that hooked. Then the 6200 4x4 Trucks were 3rd

I watched at least 25 people get up in front of me and leave. I happened to run to restroom at that time and watched them exit the building not just take a break and return.

Not saying it’s bad. Just interesting. And I’m just trying to find a trend and have a little fun.

I would say I notice it most with truck classes...So just trying to get an idea if my hypothesis is correct that many people go to watch class X...Particularly Truck Class X (i.e. 4x4 or TWD trucks)

So far my poll is showing true... Just curious

Re: Better question March 18, 2019 11:52AM
I go to watch the modified classes from the minis to unlimited and I tell whoever goes with me that we’re not leaving until the announcer says thanks for being here and come back next year

Re: Better question March 18, 2019 12:01PM
I do like the tractors better than the trucks because that's what we pull. I know a lot more of the tractor drivers than I do the trucks by 50 to 1. We left right after the Alcohol tractors because we have a long trip home. I wanted to see Henry Everman pull because I know him. I also figured the smoke tube would break during the 7700 light limited class and we'd be another hour late. During the pulls I need a break to eat etc. so I usually go when gas or alky vehicles are pulling because the fumes irritate my eyes. I like the new LT pro stocks. I hope they keep the Hot Farm class and have finals for it. Keystone is a great show and is well organized. Maybe if they would start the night finals at 5 vs. 6 more would stay to the end.

Re: Which Class would it be? March 21, 2019 10:04AM
I go to watch them all but are particularly interested in the mini's and multi engine mods. Not really a truck guy but do enjoy watching them, count me in on leaving when the announcer says good night. That said though I believe live streaming is only going to become more popular as we move forward. Keeping millennials attention for long is a difficult task not to mention 4 hours and beyond. Take a look around any grandstands and see all of the people with a phone buried in their face, especially as the event grows longer.

Re: Which Class would it be? March 21, 2019 10:57AM
You’re so right Highwayman...But as someone who watches on YouTube in the off-season to get me through...It just doesn’t have the same effect as being there!

But you are so right with your thinking. It’s so wise for events to give live-stream as an option

Minis and Unlimited are so cool. And for a lot of fans aren’t seen very often. The minis at the Keystone were awesome. I hope that they put them in the finals next year so more people can see them.

Re: Which Class would it be? March 22, 2019 02:04PM
Hummin Cummins
You’re so right Highwayman...But as someone who watches on YouTube in the off-season to get me through...It just doesn’t have the same effect as being there!

I know I shouldn't bring other motor sports into this discussion but I felt that same way when I watched Nascar and NHRA on tv and then went to a race. It's not the same a being there. Now as a tractor puller and not seeing fans in the stands at an event that we pull at, I have to ask what is it that we are doing wrong?

Re: What and Who got you into TRACTOR PULLING March 22, 2019 03:00PM
I can get a few thumbs down but who cares.Some of the Local Farm classes needs to be brought back into tractor pulling go to a county fair any county fair lots of people in the community could give a crap less if Blackburn.and Chezeck or whoever theyve never heard of befor is there .But neighbors against neighbors bring people out other wise they wouldnt walk across the street to se a pull. also Say im wrong each puller on here question how many people goes to your local pull just to watch YOU and YES stock farm classes would be boring to us thats went past that level BUT where did most of us get our start from watching Dads, Grandpas,or a neighbor at a pull whether it was the 5500 farm stock or the 6500 SS WhAT AND WHO GOT YOU INTO TRACTOR PULLING

Re: What and Who got you into TRACTOR PULLING March 22, 2019 03:21PM
Lewis Conner
I can get a few thumbs down but who cares.Some of the Local Farm classes needs to be brought back into tractor pulling go to a county fair any county fair lots of people in the community could give a crap less if Blackburn.and Chezeck or whoever theyve never heard of befor is there .But neighbors against neighbors bring people out other wise they wouldnt walk across the street to se a pull. also Say im wrong each puller on here question how many people goes to your local pull just to watch YOU and YES stock farm classes would be boring to us thats went past that level BUT where did most of us get our start from watching Dads, Grandpas,or a neighbor at a pull whether it was the 5500 farm stock or the 6500 SS WhAT AND WHO GOT YOU INTO TRACTOR PULLING

While I agree with all that you have said my question is who is going to insure the local farm classes? The county fair?

Re: Which Class would it be? March 23, 2019 02:07PM
Lewis and Supertiquer...You guys are both so smart. I don’t think any of your comments deserve any thumbs down. If anything a thumbs up.

I think that you’re both kinda saying the same thing in a different way...

I don’t necessarily think that we are doing a bunch of things “wrong” in pulling. It’s just a different game than Racing. Far fewer people (and sadly continuing to shrink) can relate to farming and tractors and towing....Almost everyone can drive and can relate to going as fast as they can handle...

So...What can we do? As much as we can to be relatable to the Average Joe. Lewis that’s why I think you’re right. Guys can relate to those “boring” stock classes. That’s part of why I think I do see a mass exodus from events after a stock truck class...it’s what people relate to...

I’m guilty of it to...I love pulling no doubt...But I root for any Oliver, White, or Moline I see...Why? Cuz that’s what I drove on the farm. I root for any Mopar or Cummins...Why? Cuz it’s what I know and can relate to.

So I think we need to be able to still have things the average fan can relate to. And mix that then with the other extreme...Show them something that they rarely or never get to see

An example that comes to mind for me for that is an event I went to at the end of the season last year. They had a class of turbine modifieds...That place was PACKED and you could have lit up the track with all the phones recording those machines pulling...

So we need to get back to mixing those 2 elements as best as we can...Much easier for me to type about it on here than to make it happen regularly but that’s my thought...

What do you think?

Re: Which Class would it be? March 23, 2019 03:04PM
Hummin Cummins
Lewis and Supertiquer...You guys are both so smart. I don’t think any of your comments deserve any thumbs down. If anything a thumbs up.

I think that you’re both kinda saying the same thing in a different way...

I don’t necessarily think that we are doing a bunch of things “wrong” in pulling. It’s just a different game than Racing. Far fewer people (and sadly continuing to shrink) can relate to farming and tractors and towing....Almost everyone can drive and can relate to going as fast as they can handle...

So...What can we do? As much as we can to be relatable to the Average Joe. Lewis that’s why I think you’re right. Guys can relate to those “boring” stock classes. That’s part of why I think I do see a mass exodus from events after a stock truck class...it’s what people relate to...

I’m guilty of it to...I love pulling no doubt...But I root for any Oliver, White, or Moline I see...Why? Cuz that’s what I drove on the farm. I root for any Mopar or Cummins...Why? Cuz it’s what I know and can relate to.

So I think we need to be able to still have things the average fan can relate to. And mix that then with the other extreme...Show them something that they rarely or never get to see

An example that comes to mind for me for that is an event I went to at the end of the season last year. They had a class of turbine modifieds...That place was PACKED and you could have lit up the track with all the phones recording those machines pulling...

So we need to get back to mixing those 2 elements as best as we can...Much easier for me to type about it on here than to make it happen regularly but that’s my thought...

What do you think?

Hey thanks for the compliment but I am one of the dumbest sob's on the face of the earth. lol Smiling

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,717, Posts: 229,825, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,961.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro