Financing my pulling tractor July 18, 2013 01:38PM
Sometime ago there was some discussion here about financing a pulling tractor. I wondering how this would be different from financing a large boat or RV if that was what my interest was in. I'm not thinking about a GN puller, but I'm tried of watching from the sideline.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 18, 2013 03:07PM
No no no so you get a loan and first pull you blow motor where are you? Paying for 10 seconds for how many years? Plus interest ect I love pulling but that is why I just buy parts to get to get by and I just pull antiques just my thought

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 18, 2013 03:57PM
I would agree, If you cant pay for your pulling with disposable income you should NOT get started at it. Some of us got really creative at finance to get started. As I look back I wish I still had 1/2 of the $$ I spent on pulling.. Maybe Golf next time/?

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 18, 2013 08:15PM
Put out an acre of corn or beans then put up 2 mailboxes or a great big one for all the handouts and welfare checks to roll in, thats how most do it,--- cheat the government!

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 18, 2013 10:07PM
That's a hurtful statement, there are several hard working families like ours who only receive about $120,000.00 per year in govt. subsidies. That doesen't go that far nowadays. Have you priced a new tractor lately?

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 19, 2013 12:01AM
hey "Gov Financing" you are a piece or garbage and wasting my oxygen.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 19, 2013 03:29PM
sounds like that banker
hey "Gov Financing" you are a piece or garbage and wasting my oxygen.

If you can afford a pulling tractor then you should not get a dime in any help from the government. I understand all the reasons there have been subsidies, payments, and crop insurance. I have no problem with the government helping anybody in their time of need. What I have a problem with is people who are not in need getting help. Farmers or otherwise. Farmers have changed in the last 10-20 years. Most seem to feel entitled to an income way beyond most working people. The hard part for people to put up with is they run around talking the tea party talk about everybody should take care of themselves and on and on while standing with both hands out. Then they talk about free market as long as prices are good. Then they spend all their money and when prices go down it is the tax payers to pick up the tab. Then their answer is ya but but but I work hard. That may be true, but there are tons of people that work hard and make $10 an hour. Where is their new pickup? House? Pulling tractor? Not to mention the wealth farmers grow with buying and owning land. Then with the crazy talk that farmers feed us and we owe them. Everybody else owes them nothing. Farmers farm for a job to make money, not to feed people. When times have been bad taxpayers have been paying their bills so you could look at it as farmers owe them. This is so true with crop farmers. Cow calf type farmers sure get the shaft. They don't get all these payments like crop farmers. Fair is fair. Farmers should be no better or worse than any other working person. Treat others as you want to be treated and don't act like you are more worthy of help than the next guy.

$120,000 dosen't go far is not a smart thing to say. That is true as far as the cost of farm equipment. How would you explain that to a hard working taxpayer that can't afford a $120,000 house. Most farmers complain about antbody getting unemployment or any other kind of help and then cry well I only got $120,000 from that no good government that I want out of my life. Just think about it. Just like oil companies getting free money and then farmers complain about the price of diesel.

As far as getting a loan for pulling. Bad Bad Idea. People do it for race cars all the time. Boats and all kinds of other toys. If intrest rates are low you may want to do it. Pulling is adictive. If you are going to do it no matter what you will be money ahead doing it all at once than doing a little at a time.

Get as mad at me as you want. I don't think I am any better than farmers (yes I do farm too) and I don't think I am any worse.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 19, 2013 08:13PM
I am aware subsidies are handed out each year, do farmers need them.... no. Will they tell you that, most will. If the people are so worried about it then it would be changed, but blaming a group that doesn't have control over what the government hands out its down right stupid. Also just because someone has a pulling tractor doesn't mean that it came from government checks, most tractor pullers are smart with their money thus having extra to spend on hobbies.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 19, 2013 11:51PM
Here is how I look at it for a farmer or any other businessman. They have a chunk of money tied up in assets, land, equipment, buildings, etc. They could liquidate everything, invest that money & make 5-7% easily without ever leaving the house. Then they are entitled to wages for the work they do on top of that "return on assets". True, many have inherited the assets, but that's true of non-farmer businessmen too and doesn't mean they are not entitled to a return on them.

Using the above,if a farmer owns 500 acres that are worth $5000 per acre, 5% return on that asset alone is $125,000. $5000 may be high for some parts of the country, but 500 acres is probably a small farm these days too. Feel free to calculate with your own numbers & some who do farm may scratch their heads and ask why they do it.

BTW I'm not a farmer or business owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2013 12:17AM by Deere Puller.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 19, 2013 02:21AM
Dad died, brother got the farm, so I punch a time clock to support my pulling addiction. But you know what, its all mine and I built alot of the stuff myself,besides the big ticket items,like pump,turbo, crank ect. There are two things my brother wont get-my puller and me!

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 19, 2013 07:45AM
I heard that "Working Stiff"! It's the same with my brother, he got the house and lake and a little less than two thirds of the farm ground, but I got the shaft. Ole Dad sure was fair with me, went around me and left around a third of the farm ground (only 1/3 of it's productive) to my daughters, but I have to pay the taxes and insurance on it till I die. When we were dividing up the farm, per Good Ole Dads wishes (his will), my brother thought he should have gotten all the farm ground and was upset because he (in his words) "didn't get any cash". When this same brother of mine got into pulling in the late 90's, Mom and Dad went to watch him and my nephew pull. They thought it was great they were doing something they liked, "they worked hard and needed a hobby". When I got back into pulling after several years of being out (quit in 1983, got back into it in 2006), Dad thought I was throwing away money. Well one thing for sure, I paid for my current tractor, and have paid to have very little work done on it. I do most of it myself, including chassis and engine work. If I don't do it, I don't pay to have it done. Pride of ownership and workmanship. Dad and Bro can't take that away from me!

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 19, 2013 04:07PM
One Sick Puppy
I heard that "Working Stiff"! It's the same with my brother, he got the house and lake and a little less than two thirds of the farm ground, but I got the shaft. Ole Dad sure was fair with me, went around me and left around a third of the farm ground (only 1/3 of it's productive) to my daughters, but I have to pay the taxes and insurance on it till I die. When we were dividing up the farm, per Good Ole Dads wishes (his will), my brother thought he should have gotten all the farm ground and was upset because he (in his words) "didn't get any cash". When this same brother of mine got into pulling in the late 90's, Mom and Dad went to watch him and my nephew pull. They thought it was great they were doing something they liked, "they worked hard and needed a hobby". When I got back into pulling after several years of being out (quit in 1983, got back into it in 2006), Dad thought I was throwing away money. Well one thing for sure, I paid for my current tractor, and have paid to have very little work done on it. I do most of it myself, including chassis and engine work. If I don't do it, I don't pay to have it done. Pride of ownership and workmanship. Dad and Bro can't take that away from me!

If what you have posted is true, it sounds to me like your brother was pampered and your dad didn't WANT to see your work. Don't feel alone. There are allways favorites in a family and I am not one of them.

subsidies July 19, 2013 10:07PM
When the gentleman mentioned Paul Harvey and the rest of the story, when you are bitching about farmers and subsidies, be sure you know the entire story. If it were not for subsidies, prices would be much more than they are now if you could purchase the food at any price!!!

Google some old corn prices, equipment prices, and inflation! In Missouri 1930 9 Million acres of corn were harvested, 2000 1 1/2 million, 2010 3 million.
Reference

Corn per bushel was $1.80 in 1950, $1.80 in 2000 and $2 in 2005.

2011 Total costs per bushel to raise $3.39.

Cost of a 1940 JD combine $4,700, cost of 2013 JD combine

Real combine pricing:
S690 combine - $ 453,703
16 row corn head - $ 148,976
40 ft. grain head - $ 97,608
Combine plus 2 heads = $ 700,287

When you look at the number of acres planted in 1930 compared to today, the cost of equipment, If it was not for subsidies, you might be starving!

Re: subsidies July 20, 2013 10:10AM
Policy Peddler;

Your post just shows how bad the management has become in agri business. Farmers are totally out of touch with reality, just as the Romans were. I now manufacture machinery, at times well in excess of that 700,00.00 combine. Some of the projects we are involved in run into the 7 and 8 digit range.I can assure you that the corporations that I deal with,some with revenues in the Billions, would never purchase a machine that would be used 16-24 days per year. It would be at least 8000 hours per year.

No you actually stated what is wrong with farmers ability to handle their business in a businesslike manner. You stated that in 1930 9 million acres of corn, 2013- 3 million acres. The rest of the story is that those farmers did not have big sugar daddy's covering their asses and they farmed with mules and very archaic equipment. what do you suppose the width of a large grain platform was in 1930?....5-6 ft ? 1 maybe 2 row corn "Pickers" They also got their asses out of bed at dawn every day and worked that farm all day every day.. The highlight of their season was their local fair. You did not see them hanging for months at a time at tractor pulls, Or spending all winter at pulling vendors and farm machinery shows. Very few corporate CEO's even have that luxury.

No, I have no sympathy for you so called struggling farmers. Your as bad as John Force, always "struggling" to race, all the while he's getting millions in sponsor money, Did force work for it? You betcha...but every engine he grenades, every car he sets on fire, the more his sponsors want to pay him. Shumacher racing,,,a billionaire corporation owner, getting paid huge money by the taxpayers to race and inflate his already fat head.

The peoples government is already creating policy to "WEAN" the farmer freebies----the preferred drug of farmers, from you. It's coming and you folks should enroll in business 101-----Your gonna need it.

Just keep in mind, that when you become drug free, your going to have to survive the same way all successful business have to. People are born into welfare, born into a life of drugs, now farmers are born into a life of free cash,entitlements, and a fraudulent tax payer funded insurance scam, and then believe their mega toys are a god given right.

AAAAANNNND-----Please don't get me started on crop insurance. I could be rich if I could get away with just that, as an OEM Manufacturer.

The fact is farmers know their free ride is collapsing around them. They have resorted to abusing those that have tolerated and financed it and seem to think that if they badger them bad enough that their free ride will continue. I'm betting on they're wrong.

BTW I really sincerely hope and pray that the "food" business thrives, as my business deals exclusively with the food industry. Y'all need to realize that the food industry is global and you are the loosing player in this game. Lets just hope 20 yrs from now your still farming.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 19, 2013 05:24PM
One Sick Puppy,

Try telling the rest of the story.....as Paul Harvey used to say, "And then there's the rest of the story"

I also got shafted, but I'm man enough to tell the truth, I created the problem and dad handled it. It was an
extremely expensive mistake. I got over it and moved on.Stop whining about it.

BTW, what does your gripe have to do with farm gimmies anyway? I know, don't bitch with your mouth full,,,,BUT,
answer me this...what does giving the cotton farmers 9 BILLION a year and then paying Brazil 150 million a year as bribes to keep us out of trouble for DUMPING cotton on the world, have to do with feeding the people??? Are you old enough to remember when China was dumping steel? There was threats of everything including war over it. Now we do it with cotton, and the connected ones are robbing the American people, calling the rest of us names and even threatening us in return. Just remember when a farmer gets in your face for voicing your constitutionally protected right to an opinion, he is actually putting himself in the same class as a drug dealer.

www.ewg.org-----read it and weep. Look up your favorite tractor puller and see for your self. Look up a certain orange puller and be prepared to have a stroke.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 22, 2013 08:00AM
"Ya Right" I guess you've got it right. My posting has nothing to do with "farm gimmies" as you stated, but that wasn't the topic of the original post and thread anyway, it has to do with whether to finance your pulling tractor or not. I don't farm anymore and don't get anything in the way of farm subsidies and never did even when I did farm. I paid for my toy with off the farm earnings I'd put back. I was just agreeing with the other postings and most especially "Working Stiff" in what he'd went through. OK, to the original post of this thread, no, if you don't have the money already saved up, or laying around, you shouldn't borrow to pull.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 19, 2013 12:04PM
I agree with most above. Don't finance it that is the worst mistake you'll ever make. If you don't have the money to do it don't start. Have you ever thought about helping someone around you that pulls. When we had ours I did almost anything to make funds to do it, it was fun but now I look back and wish I had 10% of what was spent because when you sell it you get $.10 on the dollar for everything. I loved pulling and still love it. Most of all miss the people I have met and friendships I have made since getting into pulling, but would never take out a loan to do it again. I am having a hard time settling the itch to get back into it but don't miss writing the checks!

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 19, 2013 12:59PM
if you really have an itch to pull, start with a farm class at a local brush pull or small organized pull. even if you just take a completely stock tractor 1066 or 4020 etc, you'll get a feel for it, then you can spend 3-4k on pump and injectors to be competitive in the farm class then turbo. after that you can decide how much you really want to spend on it. I am very happy to stick with the farm classes, I have about 5-6 pulls within 45 minutes of me to go to, that's enough money for me to spend. and I help out my buddy every now and then on his super farm puller.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 19, 2013 09:36PM
Financing a pulling tractor can be done but its not worth it. I have sold one that went where it was financed. It worked out ok. Thats the exeption to the rule. Borrowing money to do this is a slippery slope. It took me a long time to make my way thru the ranks. Its expensive even if you do most yourself. I started out on a super m the to a 1066 then onto my current tractor. I was 14 now 31. It takes a wile. You also have to look at the expansion of your budget. At the start 2-3 k was a lot a year on an antique. Then hot farm -limited pro 10-15 a year. Now with travel and tractor expense expect to spend 25-40 a year to run for a championship. It can get crazy. Moving up thru like that gives you a knoledge base that no amount of money can buy. Its not easy but thats the fun of it.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 23, 2013 01:32AM
Kevin, thanks for educating us fans on the topic. I'm just a fan, but the other day someone asked me what it would cost to start a super stock or pro stock pulling operation. Maybe you can tell me if I am way off base, but I said it would cost $300,000 to do it right. First off, I am saying this is cash not borrowed money. I figured $100,000 or more to buy a tractor turn key or buy one and fix it up. Then up to $100,000 for a hauler, trailer and spare parts. In my mind, if you're going to buy a tractor you don't want it broke down for the season if you have breakage. So I'm saying spare engine, a couple turbos, and whatever else is likely to break with spare parts. And then the third $100,000 is your budget. This is for yearly travel and depreciation. I don't expect to spend that $100,000 in one year of course, but that money would be set aside in an account and be able to keep things rolling for years to come. Is that budget a little high? I am sure that many guys can get started pulling for much less, but I am saying that you're starting from nothing and want to pull at the front of the pack.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 20, 2013 08:22AM
Musta hit close to home for an answer like that- shoulda just put duh duh duh duh

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 22, 2013 01:18AM
You must really not have a clue. I have never borrowed money for a pulling tractor and i would advise anyone else to do the same.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 22, 2013 05:53AM
I have had this discussion several times with different people. I have financed my haulers over the years but I only spend money that I have on the pullers. The haulers can always be insured then sold if I get in a bind. My pulling tractor can make one bad pass down the track and there may be nothing left to sell. When I switched over to Hemi engines from Chevy's I started with two Hemi's and ran a Chevy with them. My plan was at the end of the season I would sell my Chevy's to buy the third Hemi. Well by the end of that summer there were no Chevy's to sell,they were all in destroyed. At that point I was glad I didn't still owe someone money on them :-) !

S'no Farmer

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 22, 2013 11:48AM
Why do the morgans let this go on there website? If I said something bad about a fellow puller and did not sign my name to it. It would be deleted. Looks like the banker ought to sign his name to his post if he wants to come on here and start problems. With that being said I do like your guys website but do not like to see this trash on here. p.s Don't like farmers protest them don't eat. Bet you will gain a whole lot of respect for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 22, 2013 02:53PM
Why was this topic closed last night and reopened today?

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 23, 2013 12:55AM
I don’t know which moderator closed the topic, but I think it's a fair discussion and some of the posts have been pretty interesting to read so I re-opened it. Todd Feiss aka S'no Farmer made the most compelling case for not financing anything that goes down the track.

This is my personal opinion…
I believe people who receive EBT cards and welfare checks should be drug tested. If they are going to take public money there should be some strings attached. I also believe that WIC cards and EBT cards should have limits on the types of foods you can buy with them (some states have this, some don't). You should NOT be able to purchase junk food, soda, candy, and other garbage food with your WIC/EBT cards. Again, there should be strings attached to public aid/assistance.

So should welfare go away? No, but it definitely needs to be reformed. I honestly think it's society's responsibility to help those who can't work, it's not society's responsibility to carry those who won't work. Unfortunately, right now we've got too many able bodied people sitting on a front porch collecting a check because they don’t want to work. We've got people living on the system who are baby factories and just keep cranking out more kids to get that extra check. Personally I think the system is broken. I remember the outrage with the news story of the welfare recipient in Seattle living in a million dollar waterfront home. Unfortunately some of these societal problems have grown so big and so intertwined that America probably can't have an honest discussion about issues like immigration reform without including welfare reform, since welfare has completely removed the incentive for many Americans to work. How do we sincerely address one issue without addressing the other, but that's a whole separate topic.

Farm subsidies are also public money, so I don't think it's off limits to discuss them here. I think the subsidy system is broken and… much like other forms of public aid/assistance it can be abused. Do all farmers abuse it? No! Do some? Probably. Public money and public discussions should go hand-in-hand. Whether we like it or not public money does impact our motorsport.

I don't know what the answer is, but I know the subsidy system has some issues. The bigger the government gets that more issues we have.

Back to financing a pulling tractor… I wouldn't borrow money from a bank, a family member, my wife, my 401k, my kids college fund, etc… to go down the track. Maybe that's why I don't have a tractor of my own!

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 23, 2013 01:35AM
Whats fair about singling out a guy with an orange tractor?

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 23, 2013 03:10AM
Nobody named a puller or tractor, just a color. There's more than one guy with an orange tractor. You can infer whomever you like, but please keep it to yourself.

Back to the original topic, my wife and I don't finance anything anymore: we have old beater vehicles that I'm constantly crawling under to repair because that's what we can afford to buy with cash (and parts are cheap), we have a small house that was a foreclosure that we are slowly fixing up as we get time and money and I bought that with cash as well. We do our best to be patient and save until we can buy something outright and we make sure our credit cards are paid in-full every month. In know that system doesn't work for everyone, but it works great for us. We don't own much, but what we do own we actually own.

Part of the economic collapse of the mortgage industry was because people bit off more than they could chew. People financed houses that were overvalued and the market changed. I could see the same thing happening in pulling with a financed tractor. As S'no Farmer stated, the value of the tractor could change because of breakage, but it could also change because the parts were outdated, the rules changed, the class became less popular, or even died, or the countries economy took a downturn and there was less money infused into the sport and therefore less potential buyers. I'd say be patient and just keep saving.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2013 03:32AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 23, 2013 08:24AM
I farm and have 1100 acre on my farm my grand total farm payments was 6000 bucks minus 1000 fine for being out of compliance on some high errodable land. i guess i will give up my 5000 so they can buy more government phone to give to people to lazy to work. and buy a few more votes for the the socialist.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 23, 2013 12:07PM
IH
I farm and have 1100 acre on my farm my grand total farm payments was 6000 bucks minus 1000 fine for being out of compliance on some high errodable land. i guess i will give up my 5000 so they can buy more government phone to give to people to lazy to work. and buy a few more votes for the the socialist.

Maybe only $5k this year. Would you have given up all the money your family has gotten over the years? High prices so the $5k is chump change now. Was it the same in the early 80s? Was is socialism when your getting money? If you were not born in to a farming family would you be one of those lazy people not working. You would like to think not, but who knows. Not all people not working want to be not working either. Everybody seems to be their own little world where it is just me and everything if different when it is me. If you can only get $5k on 1100 acers you must not be able to find the fsa office. Look at this way. You could buy a Precision with that 5 grand. 5 grand your non farming neighbor is not getting.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 23, 2013 02:40PM
I think that socialist comment struck a nerve with the banker. since your the banker take some of the bailout money the banks got and buy you some farm equipment and you can buy you a precision turbo too,LOL you are a D.A. . you don't have a clue.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 23, 2013 01:54AM
Why is it the farmers start making money and you all bitch. Face it every market in america that is running strong is ag related. Ag is all we have left they have ship all are factory jobs overseas. Hey maybe you will all get your wish and we can import our food and starve. Then everybody will be broke and we will have a level playing field then. O but none of us will have any money then but wealthist. I reminber a guy in 08 that ran for a office and won on this prinicible. But I bet none you voted for him.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 23, 2013 03:47AM
The point that you are missing is that the "farmers" that are making money are the ones that are taking the subsidies! If it were not for the government checks they wouldn't make squat. I understand that we need farmers for food, I get that. The problem is that whenever the government steps in and gives tax payer money out it messes up the market concept. The more crops the farmer grows the more subsidies the government pays (cause the price dropped because the market is flooded). If the government stopped giving away taxpayer’s money the price of crops would temporarily go down. When the price went down the farmers would stop making so much, the surplus of crop would go away and the price would go back up. This isn't a complex concept... No other form of "small" business has the luxury of government backed insurance and price subsidies. If my construction company bids to low and I don't make any money and no one cares. If I am doing earth work and it rains all summer, the government doesn't give me bad weather insurance. If I ramp up production of my duck call and no one buys it the government doesn't come in and buy them all. In all three instances I go out of business and no one cares...

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 23, 2013 06:54AM
One of the biggest misconceptions claimed by farmers that have grown wealthy on subsidies, is that "they" are feeding America. That is a borderline lie, not true. Had a cotton sandwich lately? drank any bio fuel ? The truth is the US is a major food importer. Most of our products is going into fuel, clothing, polymers,etc,etc,etc. for export. If I starve the US farmer will be right there with me.

I try to buy as much American food as possible, but have started to rethink that. I know farmers that have admitted that they would not feed one oz or their products to their family. They have a small farmer that specializes in raising meat for them that is drug and chemical free. I have spoken with tobacco farmers that actually grow their own private stock and that's what they use. The one's in particular won't touch the crop that goes to market. Take a tour of your local Grocery, and see that most food is from a foreign origin. Americans purchase their food at stores, not the Chicago markets.

Most of the American farm products that is left for food is given away as bribes around the world to buy influence by our government. They need to guarantee that reserve is available, thus the subsidy. You farmers are being paid from the peoples taxes to grow crops that are never intended to be food for
"our" people. Last year people were threatened with 9.00 gal milk, if the subsidies were cut. That would have happened only long enough for the first shipment of foreign milk to arrive. The financial and market wizards said 9.00 for 2 months and 2.50 in 12 months. No one would have starved and there would plenty of milk to drink.
Actually most Americans eat foreign grain and meat, while third world countries get the expensive stuff. The reason milk costs what it does today is that the government interfered. Sugar, same deal, drove most candy mfgrs off shore.

During the cold war the farm industry used the excuse that the biggest reason that the USSR did not attack us was because they claimed a fat bear would never bite the hand that feeds it.If that were true we sure wasted a bundle on bullets. They wanted that comfortable grain deal with The USSR to go on forever.

I'm not just ranting, if any of you had the ambition to research my arguments you would find that what I have said is an accurate portrayal of what the industry has become. It's available for anyone to see, and concerned farmers are having the same conversations because they know this has to end. You will have to dig a little deeper that your daily barrage of farm lobbyists propaganda. If the food chain is to be treated and compensated like royalty, tell me why everyone in the chain after the farmer is paying for their excesses?

When I research subsidies and crop insurance, I cannot understand why the Guys on Gold Rush are not able to collect,,,After all they are not able to harvest gold at the rate they think that they should. When you think about it, what's so different about a gold field vs grazing land?

I would also like to thank the Morgans for their efforts and contributions to pulling and their voice of reason and civil discourse...

OH YEA, financing a pulling tractor.....bad idea

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 23, 2013 01:54PM
first off not all farmers take government money we haved work very hard for what we have and reading all the bashing about farmers realey makes me sick sure ther is dishonest people in all business including you mr banker how about all the free money that went to the auto makers;the banks steel industry we could go on andon as the old saying goes don't throw stones at glass houses for it could be yours and as far as pulling goes I agree with kevin on this very much for I to have started out very small and slowing moving up as we save for this to happen pulling comes down to a lot of friend ship and meeting new people sure some are bad appels but what sport has none think about it seems to me that there must be a sore losser in these talks

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 23, 2013 08:51AM
I did not start the post and why am I making trouble. I don't think aid for farmers or anybody esle should go away if they need help. If you are on welfare and you get drug tested and can only buy certain kinds of food then the same should be done for farm programs. The checks should only go to pay for things you need, not what you want. Farmers getting money over the years are maybe not wealthy but have accumulated wealth. In land, equipment, and buildings. That is all wealth that makes other people 401ks look very small. It is wealth they accumulated with the help of tax payers. They can cash out when they want to retire, pass it down or whatever they want. I am not saying they did not work for it, but so do other people and they don't have that kind of wealth. Who ever said here about a guaranteed return on investment is right. Why do farmers get it and not other businesses? If I have a machine shop it would be sink or swim you are on your own, but a farmer gets help. Is that right? Can a machine shop owner buy insurace to cover income losses if that market changes. Yes they can, but taxpayers do not pay 66% of the premium. A teacher invested in many years of school. Do they get a guaranteed job and income level? People screem free market this and free market that except for the market they are in. Life is not fair and this country sure is not either. Fair is still fair the way I look at it. Point the finger at everybody else. Maybe when a farmer wins at a pull and they are thanking all their sponors they should thank all the fans because they helped pay their bills over the years.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 23, 2013 10:09AM
As a business man I can only think of one thing to say about your statement, if you are that envyous of the things someone else has quit what you are doing and do what they are doing. Farmers never made these rules and laws politicians did, why are you mad at the people that follow the laws ?

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 23, 2013 11:58AM
Self employed
As a business man I can only think of one thing to say about your statement, if you are that envyous of the things someone else has quit what you are doing and do what they are doing. Farmers never made these rules and laws politicians did, why are you mad at the people that follow the laws ?

Because they (most not all) complain about people on food stamps unemployment and so on. It is not always within the law either. Just like some food stamp people cheat the system so do most farmers, I am sure every farmer that tractor pulls. No it would not be within the law to depreciat out a pulling tractor or a deduct a Precision turbo. How many farmers have planted to late and still put crop insurance on a crop. How many have worked up winter wheat after collecting insurance and the planted beans.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 23, 2013 03:38PM
Hey you have a problem with farmers having nice things and pulling quit getting on here and quit supporting tractor pulls it is that simple.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 23, 2013 03:45PM
How much bailout money did you take or better yet how many loans did you sell at an inflated rate to fannie or freddie. Hypocrisy at the highest level. BTW, I really don't care if you got any of the bailout or if you have gotten any gov, assistance. When I have made money the government not only wants some but will somehow or someway take some. So I have no problems taking every nickel back that I can from whatever idiotic program some bureaucrat thinks up to insure there job security.

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 23, 2013 07:29PM
Banker
Self employed

Because they (most not all) complain about people on food stamps unemployment and so on. It is not always within the law either. Just like some food stamp people cheat the system so do most farmers, I am sure every farmer that tractor pulls. No it would not be within the law to depreciat out a pulling tractor or a deduct a Precision turbo. How many farmers have planted to late and still put crop insurance on a crop. How many have worked up winter wheat after collecting insurance and the planted beans.
So Banker, do you have a problem with me taking out crop insurance BEFORE the crop is planted and then planting that crop too late? If the weather does not cooperate with me, what am I supposed to do? Give up? I took out the insurance and will pay the premium when it is do. Why don't you QUIT loaning money to the people you HATE that are trying to put me out of business and can't pay their bills! Tell me WHY PLEASE!

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 22, 2013 02:10PM
You never know. Maybe

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 22, 2013 01:51PM
Kevin, do you suppose that fellow had a National Champion to sell?

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 23, 2013 03:45PM
cows don't eat corn, cows dont feed people and cows that produce milk/dairy products also don't eat corn! and crops is just imaginary! ethanol doesn't make gas a little bit cheaper at the pumps! and i guess humans do eat straight hard corn out of the field that is sold on the chicago board? and financing a pulling tractor over 30 years would be a good idea 10% interest!

Re: Financing my pulling tractor July 23, 2013 04:56PM
Hey your a grown man you need to make that decision on your own, tractor pulling tractors aren't any different than any other tractors if you buy it right you can run it for a while and if you bought it right you should be able to turn it and hopefully not lose much money or any at all. You don't have much time on this big blue ball so enjoy it will you can, life is all about priorities and only you can figure out that.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,787, Posts: 229,973, Members: 3,340.
This forum: Topics: 37,101, Posts: 226,051.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009