Outlaws July 25, 2013 03:07AM
I guess the Outlaws did not pull Friday night in Montgomery City, MO. No results

Re: Outlaws July 25, 2013 03:43AM
It was a co-sanction pull with Xcaliber. Here are the results from their site

[www.xcaliberpulling.com]

Re: Outlaws July 25, 2013 04:04AM
Wow that site works well, loads quickly and I can view everything. What a concept, maybe Outlaw can learn something from whomever did this site.

Re: Outlaws July 25, 2013 04:09AM
The outlaws have never heard of a laptop. Maybe in a few years they will.

Re: Outlaws July 25, 2013 08:35AM
This site works fine if you have a computer with a modern browser. quit bitching and upgrade your old POS computer running windows 95

Re: Outlaws July 25, 2013 09:21AM
I am somewhat current with Win 7 and Internet Explorer 8.0.7601.17514 and the Outlaw site will not load for me.

Re: Outlaws July 25, 2013 09:58AM
Let me chime in, I upgraded the outlaw site this winter. It is built all in HTML5, which is the latest and greatest. My bet is it will be the internet standard in a few years. That being said, there are pages that do load slower than I prefer, (events page being one of them). Most of the slowness can be traced to all the different content that it is loading that either the outlaws wanted on their site or I added to make things easier for them update items. It was also designed for them to update it quickly throughout the season. My scope of work ended with the design and implementation. I can not speak to why the first night of Montgomery City hasn't shown up yet. But I know the link is there waiting for the file to be uploaded.

Update is right, with HTML5 you need an updated browser. Old browsers will not work at all. Windows 7 is fine for an operating system but IE8 does not fully support HTML5. You need 9 or higher. I personally would recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, both are far better options for all web browsing than any Internet Explorer browser. I personally like chrome better, but use both daily. Hope this clears some of this up.

Re: Outlaws July 26, 2013 01:15AM
voodoopulling
Let me chime in, I upgraded the outlaw site this winter. It is built all in HTML5, which is the latest and greatest. My bet is it will be the internet standard in a few years. That being said, there are pages that do load slower than I prefer, (events page being one of them). Most of the slowness can be traced to all the different content that it is loading that either the outlaws wanted on their site or I added to make things easier for them update items. It was also designed for them to update it quickly throughout the season. My scope of work ended with the design and implementation. I can not speak to why the first night of Montgomery City hasn't shown up yet. But I know the link is there waiting for the file to be uploaded.

Update is right, with HTML5 you need an updated browser. Old browsers will not work at all. Windows 7 is fine for an operating system but IE8 does not fully support HTML5. You need 9 or higher. I personally would recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, both are far better options for all web browsing than any Internet Explorer browser. I personally like chrome better, but use both daily. Hope this clears some of this up.

So every time the highway dept. repaves the road you have to buy a newer car. You can't drive that old car on this road and the road you can drive it on goes nowhere!!!

Re: Outlaws July 26, 2013 01:29AM
Websites need to work well with iPads and smartphones as that's the way things are trending now. The technology on some of them is limited or people like me don't have the time to figure it out. Websites need to work well now. Today. That's my opinion. The Outlaws website itself looks great. I just wish I could pull it up on my iPad.

As far as maintenance is concerned-- putting results up on the website-- it appears that the Outlaws, as well as several other organizations, are in the Ice Age of technology. Good gosh, turn things over to a couple of the pullers' kids and let them do it for you!! There should be an app that would update the website instantly. Have the pullers' names typed in, put in their distance and it should automatically go to the website. That's elementary stuff. The leaders of the Outlaws need to delegate this to people who know far more about technology than they do.

Re: Outlaws July 25, 2013 09:22AM
hey this is to update your computer serious question im running windows xp and the best INTERNET/EXPLORER i can run is IE8 will it do me any good to go to google chrome or is my computer just to old thanx

Re: Outlaws July 26, 2013 08:30AM
The latest versions of Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome should run on Windows XP. You may need to make sure XP is updated to Service Pack 2 (it's a free download from Microsoft). Both of them are good browsers and generally they work better (less hiccups and crashes) than Internet Explorer (less issues with streaming videos too).

It's a fine line with web design these days. Some programmers build to the latest and great "standards", some stay with tried and true "old" technology, and some have embraced tablets and phones more than actual computers. Personally I don't like most of the mobile versions of sites. I get frustrated using my wife's iPad or iPhone on the mobile version of Ebay (for example) the navigation is just plain annoying.

From my personal experience... in the past I had this site a little more "modern" and I had to take a step back and look at who my clientele are: farmers, truckers, rural American's (and Europeans) that still may not have hi-speed internet. All those flashy graphics don't work well on a dial-up modem so I redesigned the page to be text driven instead of graphics driven. I think it's imperative to know your target audience and the Outlaws site may look great and it may work fine for modern browsers but as a professional organization that caters to a rural audience I think they need to make sure their site is backwards compatible with the previous few generations of browsers. No site is without issues, even sites with multimillion dollar budgets still have problems but a web designer should only run as fast as his audience will let him. Just my $.02

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Outlaws July 26, 2013 10:13AM
Al - your comparison makes zero sense. Buying a new car and downloading a free web browser from the internet are not even in the same ballpark. But thanks for trying.

Pllnfn - When I decided to go the HTML5 route, my main reason behind it was the tablet & mobile market. I was getting away from building things in Flash, which is not supported on any IOS (apple) device and going with the newer technology that all modern smart phones and tablets support. There is alot that goes into getting a distance read off at a laser at a pull to finally getting it uploaded to the web. Just a simple app won't do it. However I tried to make it as easy as possible.

Jake - I agree with what you said there, and appreciate your input. Stats show that only 4% of Americans still use dial-up, and while that % might be a bit higher when you think about just the outlaw footprint as compared with the entire US, I would guess it wouldn't get much higher. I looked at those stats and other factors when deciding to how to redesign their website. In hindsight, it might have been premature to do the whole site in HTML5 code. Something we can definitely look at in the fall. I think the site is 100% better than what they had in the past, but as with anything there is always room for improvement.

Re: Outlaws July 25, 2013 04:45PM
[www.pulloff.com]
Why don't all of you read what you posted. I myself am concerened about getting my tractor to go down the track! But if it doesn't, I bet most of you want to complain about me trying to put a show on while you are sitting behind a computer bitching!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,758, Posts: 229,917, Members: 3,336.
This forum: Topics: 37,093, Posts: 226,016.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM