RPM Box? July 30, 2013 11:37AM
We have a club that runs a 3000rpm limit on the rpm box and one tractor seems to be preforming better than the rest. The problem is this same tractor is running or spiking over 3300rpm every run and nothing is being done about it. They claim its a spike when he shifts but I think it is a lot of rpm for a shift spike. The 10+ other tractors in the class or club are having this problem so what should be done? Is anyone else having any problems like this?

Re: RPM Box? July 30, 2013 12:03PM
If it is a spike from whatever who cares. 3000 rpms is 3000 rpms. He should be DQd. If it is a datalog box you can aready cheat it by alot. It is very slow in reading over. If I went by my computer on the tractor vs the datalog box I would have to kick myself out of every pull. How long is his spike and is it more than once going down the track? If it is a spike it should be less than a second. It should just be 3000rpms period. Then you set your tractor where it needs to be to stay under 3000 rpms. My guess is his tractor is set at 3300 under no load. When he starts out letting the clutch out it stays under 3000 under a load, but in a shift or spin out it will go to where the pump is set and that I would bet is 3300. Tractor pullers can't seem to help themselves when it comes to cheating.

Re: RPM Box? July 30, 2013 01:03PM
The tractor in question no loads at 2968rpm and was verified at Lodi by a club member! If you're going to accuse a person of cheating then do it to there face instead of hiding behind a keyboard.

Re: RPM Box? July 30, 2013 01:30PM
If its over 3000 on the sled tractor should be out.

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 01:05AM
HE IS CHEATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If the rule is 3000rpms and it is over it is over. You can make a governor over rev. The hook magazine even had an artical on it years back. If it is in his pump he needs to get it fixed. If not he can turn down his tractor another 300rpms so he knows he will not be over. You need to know your tractor and what it does. If he was not aware of what his pump was doing now he does and he can get it fixed. I guess it is up to your club to enforce the rule. The fact is it is over and it is up to the owner driver to get the problem fixed. Ya but but but my tractor is has a special problem and you should just let me do whatever I want. It is simple turn it down or get it fixed. What if you guys change the rule to 3300rpms and you all run 3300, will he be running 3600?????????????????????

Re: RPM Box? July 30, 2013 02:01PM
pretty simple fix if sensor &wire are installed properly and positive stop on pump and still over them send pump back and have fixed make it 3000 anything over to bad youll be suprised I BET NO ONE WILL BE OVER

What's the point? July 30, 2013 04:45PM
What's the point in running the box if when it says someone's over it gets ignored. Why not just tack at the end of the track so you can all run trick linkage or other slick ways to wreck a class. The box was brought into this sport to end that kind of problem so it is BS if a club is running box and still not doing anything about it. If the puller is not wanting to cheat or be accused of cheating he/she should be doing something about the problem, but based on the comment from Try Again it sounds like they are happy with the way it runs at high rpm and will do nothing until forced.

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 04:20AM
KTPA hot farm class is 3000 rpm and we use the box. We have a 3100 rpm max and if you go 3101 your DQED NO QUESTIONS asked. You have to be carefull where you set your rpms and if you happen to spin out real hard,be carefull letting off the throttle and clutch.

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 01:38AM
Around here spikes of 25 rpm get you a DQ! That guy has something set up to purposely do what it's doing. He needs to correct the problem. Ed.

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 02:30AM
I also run limited rpms. My tractor has been 50-100rpms below our limit all summer, but last weekend i got one tire on the wrong side of the track and spun it. Appearently this made my rpms go 100 over, kinda wierd but i took my dq and went home. I'm gonna back it down some more and check it for next hook.

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 01:49AM
Potentially big difference between rpm in the pits and what the tractor may be doing on the track. It's way too easy to rig up a throttle stop to be legal in the pits but have an advantage during the pull. That's the whole purpose of the box and checking rpm during the run. If the rule states 3000 rpm max during the run, anything over that should be a DQ, whether it's a spike, freak of nature, el ninio, y2k, the moon, tides, act of God, or any other excuse. Over is over, period!

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 02:53AM
judge and jury
Amen

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 02:45AM
As pres. of a club with lim. rpm stuff I can tell you this. The only and I mean only way to solve this to set a limit and enforce it. This means two things have to happen. one you have to set a limit {done} Two you need to have someone to enforce the rule. I know what is going on . you have set a limit at 3000 you have a box to tell you if a tractor over revs. what you don't have is someone who is willing to stand up and enforce the rule until you have a pres. that is willing to do that no matter who it is or who it upsets you will never put this to rest. pullers will quit and clubs will die. the rest of the pullers in the class need to take a stand before you don't have a club left if you step back and look it's already headed south

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 05:20AM
All good comments -

Southwest Wisconsin Tractor Pullers is addressing the issue for the 466 Profarm 3000 rpm class. We have the technology to download "The Box" and review each pullers entire run.

Updated Rules:

No reading on the box = DQ

Data sent in non-comforming pattern = DQ

Will allow one (1) - one (1) second spike

Any question call Guy or Bob

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 05:38AM
At the rate this is going with the over rpm b.s a certain person will single handedly kill this class. I have a feeling there will be a lot of 3.0 tractors looking for another place to hook next year

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 07:39AM
I like all your knew rules Bob except allowing a one second spike. One second in a 10 second run is thirty feet in the middle track. Not to mention 300 rpms is almost a full gear. My question is why are you going to allow one person continue to go one gear faster than you for 30 feet in the middle of the track when you know they are not doing it legally.

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 05:55AM
I have no comment on this...

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 06:08AM
Cheater, lol! Beer

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 06:24AM
not to mention the insurance company, they are out watching pulls this year, if they feel your not checking rules you wont have insurance next year, thats the biggest problem we had i insurance audit this year and pasted remember all it takes is one guy to ruin it for the rest , 3000 rpm is 3000 whats the problem

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 06:54AM
It's about time this group starts to regulate the pullers and enforce the rules for. We will see if he can get the rpm under control now that he will get Dqed,!

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 08:09AM
It's my understanding Badger State profarm and PI hot farm have the one second spike rule, so we followed their lead.

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 11:16AM
It is my understanding they have a rule that says less then a 1 second spike. Be careful how you write the rule .999 and 1.999 are very different. Remember gray area is what causes these problems.

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 11:52AM
Just because BS and PI do it does not mean you have to too. Dennis Frey had alot to do with those mistakes. Leave it simple. Pick a rpm. 3000, 3001, 3100 or whatever. If your tractor hits that rpm you are dqd. Everybody knows what it is and you set your rpms to what your tractor does. That is fair for everybody. It would be like pulling a 20 mph speed limit class and letting a tractor go 21 mph becasue that is where my tractor like to run and I just can't make it go any slower. It seems nobody in pulling wants a rule that is fair. They want a rule that they think they can cheat a little.

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 12:26PM
We use a rpm box too. I have had trouble going over as well. The problem is one night it will be fine the next night with a different box it will be over, and the tractor will not have been touched.

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 04:13PM
the tractor they are complaining about does the same thing in one club it is fine and in the other it is always "spiking a temp" have had club members check it with the box to the point where they have tried to pull the linkage on the pump and she still read 2970. Keyboard pullers sure do ruin the damn sport just man up and talk to the guy about the problem not putting your dirty laundry on here!!

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 10:45PM
Its always the same person No one else seems to have issues.HMM?

Re: RPM Box? July 31, 2013 11:02PM
I have had trouble the last two pulls. Check with box reads 3156 both times, we run 3200. Sled read over both times up to almost 5000. Last night checked again after pull with box and was ok again after over reading on sled. Found out after turning plug over on tractor and checking again reading went nuts, still don't know why but gonna put new wire on today.

Re: RPM Box? August 01, 2013 05:41AM
Been there had that same spike problem with ours and fixed two other pullers with same problem. Darn near pulled our hair out before finding problem. I really should be charging for this info. If you are running eletric water injection pump you have to run the positive battery cable going to the pump through a heater hose to insulate or shield it. This fixed the problem. Some tractors would read 5000 rpms and some would read 3300 rpms. Try it and you will see it works.

Re: RPM Box? August 01, 2013 06:40AM
We have seen similar problems in our group as a whole. Several competitors checking their rpms before pull to make sure they are ok and then run over during pass but check fine at end again or the whole 5000 or 6000 rpm situation blah blah blah.

We have seen things such as sensor mounting is flimsy and gives a false reading or the clearance is too far or too close. General wiring being wrong that gives erratic readings, etc;

One that we discussed with another group in our state was that if the box is reset on the weight transfer and is then plugged in to the tractor there is a possibility that there is a small voltage spike at that time and gives a false reading. That particular group began plugging the tractor into the box and then reset it and they informed us that it cut down on false reading significantly.

Not saying one way or another as far as what is occuring, just giving out some friendly advice and info for anyone who can use it.

Re: RPM Box? August 01, 2013 11:41AM
If it reads say 5000-6000 it is a malfunction. If it says 3300 it is running 3300.

Re: RPM Box? August 01, 2013 02:37PM
no no there MR Spike Lee my post above states that I have seen it just a little over and alot over and everything in between. One guy I fixed was around 3300 rpms and the other was 5000 to 6000 and after running positive cable in heater hose problem solved. This same thing happened everone started the cheating pointing fingers game so I took the box home and figured it out took several hours before we did above fix and thank goodness I was ready to give up. But I agree you just have to DQ anyone over it is there job to get it figured out.

3 August 01, 2013 05:31PM
All that crap is why I moved up to the 4.1 class. We don't have all that fighting over the rules.

Re: RPM Box? August 02, 2013 12:34AM
I am sure evrybody that pulls in a 3000rpm class would love to move up to the 4.1s. I am guessing another $100k is the problem

Re: RPM Box? August 02, 2013 01:11AM
I'm having the same problems with the spiking issue only mine will normally spike over 200/300 hundred rpm's or less. You can ck it with the box before you hook and it is fine but during the hook it will sometimes spike over. We can ck it on the computer for the whole run and it is just a momentarly spike, not even close to a second and most of the time it is at the start or finish like when you spin out but the tractor is not under a load so is it fair to DQ a tractor for that problem? I'd like to firque it out and fix it but we have not been able to. Our group is very understanding of the problem and we haven't been DQed but I would like to solve it.

Re: RPM Box? August 02, 2013 01:57AM
Yes you should be DQed. Is it illegal to hit a person with a car (3300-6000 rpm) or is OK to just tap them with the door (3001-3300 rpm). Its simple, there is a buffer screw on the pump (easy to get to) tighten it up a little or send your pump back in and have them calm the gov down. You can also turn your RPM's down to start with

Re: RPM Box? August 03, 2013 09:42AM
Very well put thinkn I could not agree more.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,723, Posts: 229,851, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,976.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro