converting semi tractor to RV title?? July 31, 2013 08:45AM
Hey all hope everyone is doing great. We purchased a new hauler earlier this year and are having a heck of a time at the DMV getting the title changed to a "toterhome" or "RV" or "motorhome"

I know several of you out there have done this, and I'm looking for some help. The DMV looks at me like I'm an idiot, and keeps stating, "You think I can just change a title" blah blah

We have the inspections done with the sheriff and all ECT but just can't get through the process.

Any tips you can give me?

I don't care so much about the scales, the CDL or any of that, but this is NOT a commercial truck, and I should be able to get this done and I know thousands have and there must be a process to it.

Located in eastern Nebraska and very thankful for the space here and any help y'all can give me

Take care
Jess

Re: converting semi tractor to RV title?? July 31, 2013 01:14PM
Each state has its own rules on how to convert a truck to an rv. From everything I have heard, you have to start with an inspection and you have to have certain things to make it an rv like refrigerator, microwave, toilet and so on. I have heard Kansas is the easiest state to do this.

In TOO DEEP on RV Title July 31, 2013 01:40PM
Hey In Too Deep,Regarding your RV title problems.Im not sure how Nebraska is regarding changing a vehicle to RV use,but in Ohio,I would take the commercial truck title into to clerk of courts and tell them I did a RV conversion on this commercial truck.They would hand me an affidavit asking me if this vehicle had certain requirements making it a non commercial and asking if it was fully self contained(like a camper)Once you filled the affidavit out correctly,they took your title and made you a new one.On the spot.If you lied about anything on the affidavit you could be cited for many violations,so don't lie on it.One stipulation was the (truck) RV could NOT have a 5th wheel any longer.A gooseneck hitch is fine.Nebraska has to have something similar.I built several and all were retitled the same way.You probably just need to find a clerk that knows what your talking about to get it done.Whatever you do,DONT get it re titled and plated before you have conversion done,because if you get caught with RV plates on a semi,they will lock you up and throw the key away!Good luck!

Re: In TOO DEEP on RV Title August 01, 2013 06:31AM
Talk to Jason Klaussen at Sioux City Truck and Trailer (aka Kenworth and Volvo dealer). He pulls the Bully Reloaded semi. They have done the conversion for many pullers and NHRA trucks as they used to sponsor a couple of NHRA teams as well as sell many trucks and enclosed trailers to pullers and motorsports teams.

Re: In TOO DEEP on RV Title November 20, 2013 01:19PM
just seeing if anybody in Indiana know how you go about title a semi to a rv ... thanks !!!

Re: In TOO DEEP on RV Title November 20, 2013 01:54PM
You can call me at 502 229 7186, I have learned a lot about this issue and solved it, you can call up to 11PM or anytime daily, it only takes 2 days to get it done and get your truck and trailer takes and it's a 1 time permanent tags. THANKS LARRY

Re: In TOO DEEP on RV Title September 22, 2015 10:00AM
any information on converting a semi to a toter/rv in florida thanks?

Re: In TOO DEEP on RV Title February 29, 2016 11:02AM
Hello
I try to do the same and I am in Orlando.Have you get some information or been able to make it happen ?

Thank you

Rejean 321-202-4274

rdhemi@yahoo.com

Re ny titltle help June 16, 2016 12:14AM
Hey larry , i have a 28' single axle pup trl. I turned it into a beautiful rv from solar panels to bakup generators & is registered as a hous coach on reg. So no problem there..... But .. I pull it with a brand new frieghtliner bizz class that runs about 4000 a year to insure with ...of course commercial plates here in ny.. Can u help me???? Jerry n y.
... Update.... I called laarrrry & he has no clue!!!!!

Re: Re ny titltle help June 16, 2016 03:24AM
A vehicle with rv plates pulling a trailer with a competition vehicle in it is illegal according to federal dot regs. It's considered interstate commerce.

Re: Re ny titltle help June 16, 2016 05:36AM
Information that I have found states you are exempt as long as its not for "Commercial Enterprise". To be commercial you need to be claiming prize or points money under a business or on your personal taxes as a business. I think if you file a Schedule S on it so you can write off expenses to cover your winnings. If you claim the winnings like we have to as we get 1099 forms, but do not claim any expenses and treat it like normal income it is not considered a Commercial Enterprise as you are not perusing it as that or treating it as commercial. Also if you have sponsors I believe that will conflict with being exempt, especially if you have there name or logos on the exterior of you vehicle or trailer.

Here is a bit from the Federal Motor Carrier regulations

390.3: General Applicability
(F) Exceptions
(3) The occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise.

This is just how I read the ruling and based on information I have found looking into it. I could be wrong. I honestly don't even think the DOT knows what the true rules are.

Re: Re ny titltle help June 16, 2016 07:19AM
It is subject to interpretation by the dot police that pull you over but your right most do not know the law and most people will get by with no problem. However, in Illinois we have State Police that know about pullers using rv plates on semis and will hammer you .

Re: converting semi tractor to RV title?? November 20, 2013 02:40PM
Bring it to Arkansas, nobody asked, inspected, or even questioned anything about it when I did mine!!

Re: converting semi tractor to RV title?? May 18, 2016 09:15AM
Lucky
Bring it to Arkansas, nobody asked, inspected, or even questioned anything about it when I did mine!!

Do I have to be a resident of Arkansas to title and register a truck there ?

Re: converting semi tractor to RV title?? September 20, 2016 10:29AM
Lucky

Lucky,

Was it that easy? I would like to have your help on this.

Re: converting semi tractor to RV title?? September 20, 2016 02:04PM
I bought the tractor out of state and when we registered it we just titled it as a motorhome. Been 15 years ago and my wife don't remember exactly what we did either. What state are you in?

Re: converting semi tractor to RV title?? March 18, 2014 01:39AM
can anybody tell me what I have to have or do to change a semi to a toter home in kentucky

Re: converting semi tractor to RV title?? March 18, 2014 02:18AM
I'm being told that to do one now or at some date in the future that it will require you to meet the new fed requirement on Teir4 spec. on emissions regardless of the year of truck due to the title will be redated to current dates. Is this correct or am I being misinformed?

Re: converting semi tractor to RV title?? March 01, 2016 03:42AM
Word of caution. In Illinois you can turn a semi into an RV (meeting so many criteria) but in the law if you are using the "RV" to pull anything that you pay an entry fee for. I.e. Pulling tractor you cannot use the RV plates. So make sure when you do it that there aren't any things that disallow using the truck.

Re: converting semi tractor to RV title?? March 01, 2016 10:27AM
So what type of plates would go on a Winnebago, pulling a car hauler trailer, with a race car on it to a circle track for the weekend? It's no different than an RV plated hauler taking a pulling tractor to the track.

Re: converting semi tractor to RV title?? March 01, 2016 11:30AM
The way the law is written(in Illinois) once you pay and entry fee (regardless of type of Motorsport) (it's not clear on livestock events) you need to have "commercial" mileage or weight plates. Luckily I'd say 99 out of 100 law enforcement officers don't know the law otherwise they'd be writing tickets at all the drag and stock car races! I was really wanting to do this myself but I know how my luck runs and would be pulled over by the 1 that knows the law. LOLt

Re: converting semi tractor to RV title?? March 01, 2016 12:02PM
There needs to be a better way. The payouts are not enough at most pulls to even say you made any money. That's if you even do well enough to get paid. And some of these haulers don't put on enough miles a year to make it fair to be buying commercial plates. The people who make money in pulling are selling parts, promoting, or running sleds.

Re: converting semi tractor to RV title?? July 26, 2017 01:06PM
in2deep, did you every get the hauler's little changed to motor home in Nebraska? What advise do you offer.

Re: converting semi tractor to RV title?? February 03, 2018 09:40AM
Hi my name is mando I have that problem I live in California any information

Re: converting semi tractor to RV title?? February 03, 2018 11:17AM
MOVE out of California

Re: converting semi tractor to RV title?? February 04, 2018 12:56AM
If guys are not worried about scales,cdl, or elogs then why are they looking to licence a semi as an rv? Laws that i have read state that even if you have sponsors on the side of your hauler or tractor, race car or what ever your competing with its considered income and if your earning prize money which just about everybody is you will fall under the cdl and log book rules wheather or not ya got a crapper on board. Another fun fact that we were told at a safety meeting at our trucking company is that if involved in an accident every sponsor you have advertised is liable to be sued as well as you, that is why i keep my sponsors off the side of my tractor by thier request

Re: converting semi tractor to RV title?? October 01, 2018 08:15PM
Hi,
a blonde here...Smiling
From what I've read online I'm certain that it's possible to register the semi as a private vehicle, in at least a few states and a converted box truck can be registered as a motorhome as long as it's under 45' (in California). But it appears that I would not be able to register the fifth wheel trailer attached to a semi as a single piece motorhome? Is this correct or can I find a workaraound.

Ideally I would like to register a semi + 48' converted semi trailer as a single unit morothome and take it for a ride across state lines and into Mexico (and eventually Central America). I know it's an ambitious quest but maybe some of you gentlemen know at least the licensing process and can help me understand my options.

Thank you for your time!

As told by Louis Force (California trip to Gainesville FL) October 02, 2018 11:43AM
Diana
Hi,
a blonde here...Smiling
From what I've read online I'm certain that it's possible to register the semi as a private vehicle, in at least a few states and a converted box truck can be registered as a motorhome as long as it's under 45' (in California). But it appears that I would not be able to register the fifth wheel trailer attached to a semi as a single piece motorhome? Is this correct or can I find a workaraound.

Ideally I would like to register a semi + 48' converted semi trailer as a single unit morothome and take it for a ride across state lines and into Mexico (and eventually Central America). I know it's an ambitious quest but maybe some of you gentlemen know at least the licensing process and can help me understand my options.

Thank you for your time!

Check out this video by Louis Force.
[www.youtube.com]
Eye Popping

Re: converting semi tractor to RV title?? October 02, 2018 09:04AM
in2deep you could call Truck Services Inc. in Lincoln at 402 476-7671 ask for Joyce, they only do truck registration. Darin

Re: converting semi tractor to RV title?? October 02, 2018 09:06AM
this thread was from 2013, we have had 2 actual RV titled toters since, this thread needs to be closed.

May I ask why you feel that way October 02, 2018 02:55PM
in3deep
this thread needs to be closed.

?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 02:55PM by Supertiquer.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,670, Posts: 229,762, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,076, Posts: 225,938.

Our newest member JD_8520