Billet Block Classes October 24, 2019 01:59PM
What NTPA and PPL tractor classes allow fully billet machined blocks?

Re: Billet Block Classes October 25, 2019 12:04AM
Pro Stock and Open/Diesel/Light Supers I think, along with the mod classes

Re: Billet Block Classes October 25, 2019 02:33AM
billet blocks are allowed for in-line 6 cylinders only, and are not currently allowed in PPL Light Supers.

Re: Billet Block Classes October 25, 2019 02:55AM
Thank you both

Re: Billet Block Classes October 27, 2019 03:04AM
What about Silver Bullet that is running a billet block for many years witch is still a v8 .

Re: Billet Block Classes October 27, 2019 03:07AM
I think someone should explain the differences of billet and recast to you?

Re: Billet Block Classes October 27, 2019 03:26AM
I know what the difference is but that doesn't make any difference on the final result, it doesn't have any water port even if the outside apparence look like original.

Re: Billet Block Classes October 29, 2019 02:51AM
Except recast would retain the original bore spacing and deck height, billet they could change the configuration to anything they wanted.

Re: Billet Block Classes October 29, 2019 08:40AM
When you cast a block you can move stuff around just as easily as a billet block.

Re: Billet Block Classes October 29, 2019 02:41PM
Are you sure the Hyper blocks weren’t cast in IH/Navistar affiliated foundry? He has/had a lot of OE connections. People were running his recast blocks and heads long before anyone that didn’t have one knew about them.

Re: Billet Block Classes October 27, 2019 03:45AM
That has been my argument for several years with the head rule in the super form limited and light pro classes they said you could run a HinesHead bet you couldn’t run a billet he it now why not they are the same principle

Re: Billet Block Classes October 27, 2019 05:13AM
Agree

Re: Billet Block Classes October 27, 2019 09:24AM
Other than weight and hitch,what rules get enforced ??

Bullet Billet Block October 29, 2019 11:30AM
To me this is one of the most interesting gray areas in the sport. Here’s the scenario for those who don’t know: The Silver Bullet runs a 3208 Cat V-8 block. The OEM block is 100% legal to use as it came in (later) Oliver 2255's as well as a White 2-180's which are both Two-Wheel drive type tractors. Like all engine blocks there are some issues with reliability in certain areas. At some point (probably 15-20 years ago) Cat cast special blocks for the Bullet team. I personally never saw the blocks but I heard they were quite different from the standard production blocks. I also don’t think they were all identical to each other either, but I can’t remember all the details that I was told.

To call them a billet block wouldn’t be true because they were indeed cast, but to call them a recast block would also be misleading. To me a recast block is one that is a copy of a production block but has been cast by a third party. Whether that third party is Hypermax or D&R or Joe’s Foundry doesn’t matter one bit, it’s still third party (yes, Hypermax is third party even though the first Gen blocks had an OEM number). Here’s the part that’s interesting to me, these Cat blocks were cast by Cat in Illinois. They were not cast by a third party but directly by the OEM for that engine. Sure the blocks were different, sure they may have even been cast out of a different material, but it was still all done at the discretion of the OEM. The truth is that the OEM has the right to change those specs for whatever reason they see fit. They can, and do, change the formulation/recipe of the casting from time to time without altering the part number. They also make casting changes from time to time without changing the part number. That is completely at the discretion of the OEM. The OEM made them, approved them, and either sold them or donated them to the Bullet team.

To me it still qualifies as an OEM block. Yes, it’s different, yes, it might not be available to others… (who knows maybe it is if you talk to the right person), that’s not the point. The point is that it still fits the OEM rule.

It was an incredibly smart move by the OEM and it’s definitely a benefit to the Bullet team. Personally I’d say it was a mutually beneficial arrangement that skirted the fringes of the rules but didn’t break them. Was it within the “spirit of the rules”? No, but they simply exploited a hole in the rules. They aren’t the first to find a hole and they won’t be the last.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Bullet Billet Block October 29, 2019 12:04PM
1st were did all of this CAT information come from or Joe blow who worked the night shift could have worked these out with a little less sand in some areas

Re: Bullet Billet Block October 29, 2019 01:36PM
Lewis,

If I wanted you to know where I heard it I would have told you. No, it wasn't Joe Blow with a little plastic shovel and bucket making modifications to sand castles as the tide went down at night. It's not like you can sneak out 3208 blocks in your lunch pail. Again, it was an OEM modification... even if only a temporary one.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Bullet Billet Block October 30, 2019 12:39PM
So your information is not worth a crap do you agree no proof OEM LOL THATS FUNNY OLD MAN CAT STILL DOESNT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT YOU DONT know anymore than I

Re: Bullet Billet Block October 30, 2019 01:23PM
LEWIS -- chill,OEM will not admit much,-- ever,politics !!!! ya know

Re: Bullet Billet Block October 30, 2019 02:46PM
Actually Lewis a friend of mine from college works at cat and when that went on he was telling me about it that they was running a special run of blocks for some tractor pullers that was running 3208 at time was funny cause who would run those

Re: Bullet Billet Block November 19, 2019 08:18AM
Jake Morgan
To me this is one of the most interesting gray areas in the sport. Here’s the scenario for those who don’t know: The Silver Bullet runs a 3208 Cat V-8 block. The OEM block is 100% legal to use as it came in (later) Oliver 2255's as well as a White 2-180's which are both Two-Wheel drive type tractors. Like all engine blocks there are some issues with reliability in certain areas. At some point (probably 15-20 years ago) Cat cast special blocks for the Bullet team. I personally never saw the blocks but I heard they were quite different from the standard production blocks. I also don’t think they were all identical to each other either, but I can’t remember all the details that I was told.

To call them a billet block wouldn’t be true because they were indeed cast, but to call them a recast block would also be misleading. To me a recast block is one that is a copy of a production block but has been cast by a third party. Whether that third party is Hypermax or D&R or Joe’s Foundry doesn’t matter one bit, it’s still third party (yes, Hypermax is third party even though the first Gen blocks had an OEM number). Here’s the part that’s interesting to me, these Cat blocks were cast by Cat in Illinois. They were not cast by a third party but directly by the OEM for that engine. Sure the blocks were different, sure they may have even been cast out of a different material, but it was still all done at the discretion of the OEM. The truth is that the OEM has the right to change those specs for whatever reason they see fit. They can, and do, change the formulation/recipe of the casting from time to time without altering the part number. They also make casting changes from time to time without changing the part number. That is completely at the discretion of the OEM. The OEM made them, approved them, and either sold them or donated them to the Bullet team.

To me it still qualifies as an OEM block. Yes, it’s different, yes, it might not be available to others… (who knows maybe it is if you talk to the right person), that’s not the point. The point is that it still fits the OEM rule.

It was an incredibly smart move by the OEM and it’s definitely a benefit to the Bullet team. Personally I’d say it was a mutually beneficial arrangement that skirted the fringes of the rules but didn’t break them. Was it within the “spirit of the rules”? No, but they simply exploited a hole in the rules. They aren’t the first to find a hole and they won’t be the last.
I didn't know this. It makes me feel better about the Hypermax billet blocks when I hear this. At least anyone who can afford it can buy one.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,671, Posts: 229,766, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,076, Posts: 225,941.

Our newest member Jason