A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 05, 2013 02:03AM
Since northeaset nebraska, great plains, and west central iowa all try to run the same rules, so guys can go pull with any of the org's and not have a problem. My question is this, is everyone happy with still running the 3lm466 turbo? I have talked to a few different people over the last few years and the ones I have talked to have been in favor of switching to something more modern and bigger, such as something in the 2.6-2.8 range. A turbo of that size wouldn't cost much more than a 3lm, and that tractors would build a lot more power with them. Dont get me wrong the 3000 class has a lot of strong running tractors now and is usually a very competive class, just wondering if it isn't time to increase the HP's a little bit
Nick

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 05, 2013 04:52AM
Go to the profarm class then because you will need water and more safety stuff with the bigger charger

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 05, 2013 06:08AM
What other saftey equipment would one need? everyone either has a steel flyhweel or scatter banket, tie bars and alot allready have either a cage or rops. and i dont see it being an issue if a guy had to put water inj on, if anything you would only need a small amount that could be done before the turbo right, tractors would still run 3000rpm, 10mm a pump

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 05, 2013 06:35AM
They all need steel clutches blankets tie bars and cages. When your going 20+ down track need safety

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 05, 2013 07:09AM
WCIP 3000 rpm rules are steel flywheel or blanket, everybody else should have them , but I don't think it's in their rules. The farm stockers around here run better than some of the 3000's because the aren't running a P.O.S. 3LM. Unless you are running a DT 466 which that turbo was designed for. Oh well majority rules!!!

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 05, 2013 08:08AM
CH
WCIP 3000 rpm rules are steel flywheel or blanket, everybody else should have them , but I don't think it's in their rules. The farm stockers around here run better than some of the 3000's because the aren't running a P.O.S. 3LM. Unless you are running a DT 466 which that turbo was designed for. Oh well majority rules!!!
I know a couple tractors from West central that run pretty good with the 3lm. And the great plains tractors seem to run pretty good as well.

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 05, 2013 06:30AM
What's the advantage? I see no problem with the out of the box 466, easy to tag.

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 05, 2013 07:46AM
The advantage would be going faster.......... was that a trick question???

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 05, 2013 08:09AM
I've looked into this & talked w/ some from other states running similar engines, but with slightly bigger turbos. One turbo I looked at was a Borg Warner S300. There's three box turbo's they offer, one w/ a 2.36" intake, the other two w/ 2.6" intakes. The guy I talked to has an Allis, he was running the smaller S300, he liked it better than the 3LM. With their being three different box turbos, would everyone agree to running the same one?

The biggest drawbacks would be getting everyone to agree on the same turbo, and then having everyone re-work & re-tune to make the new turbo work properly on their tractor. Some have their tractors running right where they like them & wouldn't want to change. Others would probably welcome the change.

Good topic for discussion sake.

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 05, 2013 10:19AM
How fast do you want to go? In S. Sioux City there were several going down the track at 21 mph+.

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 05, 2013 11:23AM
Yes, There are red ones that run real good. When's the last time anybody checked to see if they are running their sealed turbos?

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 05, 2013 11:28AM
It's a fun ride going that fast but if we're pulling a skid 20+ mph with 3000 rpm 3LM tractor that's more of a tractor race than a tractor pull!!!

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 05, 2013 12:12PM
It's one thing when one group runs nothing but newer Baumgart sleds & does 21mph, try that on an old progressive sled & all you'll get done is clutch before the 75' mark to try over in a different gear!

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 05, 2013 02:09PM
IAMO did away with the 3lm class this year because of small class size. We went to Hot Farm that is 3000 rpm GT 42 turbo. If you want to be competitive it costs quite a bit to upgrade just one class, even though we already had all safety equipment. We lost 2 or 3 tractors but may have lost them anyway. One thing for sure its a lot more fun in Road gear than in High 3rd.

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 05, 2013 02:23PM
Like I said earlier put on a gt42 and run with great plains profarm class if you want to run a bigger charger and already have all the safety equipment. I am sure they will let you only run 3000 rpm if that is what you are after. And as a side note great plains doesn't require blanket, tie bars, or steel flywheel in the open farm class.

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 05, 2013 06:01PM
I guess I'll go unhook my 806 from the feed wagon if i want to come pull in the open farm class in nebraska, since my all speed no power 1466 can't pull a progressive sled. is that what your saying matt? dad has pulled in nebraska a few times and had no problem with your sleds. i believe at norfolk he did quite well in the 7700 and 8700 lb classes this last winter. there are a few tractors from nebraska that have been coming up and pulling with great plains and i don't hear them complaining about going fast down the track. we don't go to an outlaw show or ntpa show to watch the tractors go put put down the tractor. we go to see power and speed.

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 06, 2013 12:29AM
if you want bigger blower and more speed go pro/hot farm. the 3lm 466 3000 rpm has become the stepping stone into tractor pulling in our area. the days of stock class are pretty much over. give the new guy an easy build to start with. there is something to be said about the different sleds though, myself I like the variety and challenge each presents. but as far as the rules are setup now, I say no changes (blanket good thought tho)

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 06, 2013 12:56AM
the unknown binder
I guess I'll go unhook my 806 from the feed wagon if i want to come pull in the open farm class in nebraska, since my all speed no power 1466 can't pull a progressive sled. is that what your saying matt? dad has pulled in nebraska a few times and had no problem with your sleds. i believe at norfolk he did quite well in the 7700 and 8700 lb classes this last winter. there are a few tractors from nebraska that have been coming up and pulling with great plains and i don't hear them complaining about going fast down the track. we don't go to an outlaw show or ntpa show to watch the tractors go put put down the tractor. we go to see power and speed.

Not saying that, what I'm saying is you won't do 21 mph on a progressive sled.

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 06, 2013 01:09AM
Then why would I have to grab a different gear?

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 05, 2013 03:06PM
Very true, if we had the old "Fear This" sled back, it would be a different story.

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 06, 2013 01:10AM
I agree I run a pro farm not with great plains but there does need to be a stepping stone thats reasonable. Where im at in southwest mn we just had discussion with this and our club now runs a 3000 rpm 2.6 no limiting to a 3lm just 2.6 and interest had been good for a starter class. then we jump to ope rpm no cuts 3x3 p pump and then a unlimted class single turbo

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 06, 2013 01:19AM
West central iowa and neb dont have a profarm class, would anyone want to make a profarm class?

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 06, 2013 01:44AM
WCIP has or had a limited pro class 505 cube,GT 42 P pump open RPM's. Now most of those guys are pulling the new Outlaw LLP class, which is a 466 class, Wouldn't want a Case to be competitive.

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 06, 2013 03:50AM
Good points being brought up here and I understand people not wanting to change everything. I was just thinking that it would be nice to have something between the open rpm profarms of great plains, or the limited pro's of wcip (not that anyone pulls with them very much any more). So would anyone in this area be interested in the hot stock class that BAD MEDICINE was talking about? 3000rpm 3x3? I know that it would cost money to switch to a class like that but it would be less then what it would be to go to open rpm's

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 06, 2013 02:56AM
No one wants to change from the 3lm, due to fact no one wants to create more power, nor spend more money. The 3lm isnt a bad turbo, but for about the same amount of money there is way better turbos out there that can create more power, i would never go to a 3lm due to the fact i would be loosing power. There are alot of organizations that went away from smaller turbos, look at the Neb. bush and outlaws, they went way from the 3x3 to a 3x3.5 turbo, why? More power and better turbo. I was told at one point in time that someone put around 5000 into a 3lm, well advise for you is that ur a moron for putting that kind if money into that turbo.

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 06, 2013 03:17AM
if the rules had been 2.6 when everybody built their tractor it would be a different story. out of the three groups in discussion- great plains, ne nebraska and west central ia there are prob 150 guys with tractors built around the 3lm. if all the clubs made the same change that would be great, but that's not likely.....so im fine with where we are at

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 06, 2013 05:35AM
As much money as a lot of these guys have invested in these motors, pumps, cams and heads it looks to me like the limiting factor on the whole setup is the 3LM. Why not run a little better turbo and let these engines breath. I'm not talking anything that much bigger but I think people would be surprised how much better they would run with a HX 50 on and not change anything else!!

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 06, 2013 06:12AM
will there be another case coming back out?

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 06, 2013 10:12AM
Case 930 puller
As much money as a lot of these guys have invested in these motors, pumps, cams and heads it looks to me like the limiting factor on the whole setup is the 3LM. Why not run a little better turbo and let these engines breath. I'm not talking anything that much bigger but I think people would be surprised how much better they would run with a HX 50 on and not change anything else!!

The 3LM being the limiting factor is the whole idea of using it in the first place! (See "stepping stone class" remarks above) You guys that want more need to move up to profarm and stop trying to be a big fish in a little pond.

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 06, 2013 11:15AM
How about a class where we can run a 504 case or 505 cummins???

It's ok to put a 466 in a 706 or 560 but not put a 504 which has limited availability of parts in a 930 or 970?? Red/Green show I guess. Hate to have some color I guess. Let the A/C tractors run the combine motor also if they want. Maybe let the White, MM, and Oliver tractors in with the 505 or 585 motors also. What is wrong with some color??? All these other brands have limited availability of parts and knowledge so what is wrong with letting them run?

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 06, 2013 11:59AM
In the IAMO Hot Farm class we run 3200 rpms, on 466's. Bigger motors, 504 Case for example, run 3000. It must not be much of a disadvantage though cause a 970 Case called Lil Ruckus kicks our Butts lol !

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 08, 2013 11:01AM
I would like to see more cubic inch for those that can. 504 in case, 531?? in A/C, 505 if the tractor has the 8.3 cummins in from factory, bigger deeres if they have it from factory, MM, some oliver, some cockshutt, some white 504 or 585, other olivers, cockshutts, whites can use 636 if from factory, MF that use the V8 can have the 510, 540, or 640 that they came from factory with.

I have also not been back to LeMars since Great Plains came in and I will not either. To wildhare: I would gladly come to Akron this weekend but have prior committments I had made back in May Sad((
I also would like to see more locals back pulling here but will not with Great Plains. There used to be 100+ locals pull there. Now none. Many have been treated like Gptp hater. Everyone used to police themselves and properly so between stock and open tractors. I don't know what to say regarding the turbo limit. 3lm466 is a fairly easy stock replacement for most. Would be nice to have a class where bigger could maybe be used to help those trying to make a gradual jump to bigger classes. Don't know if that needs to be GT42, 3 X 3, HX50 or what??

I am open to any suggestions to get everyone more involved.

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 06, 2013 03:30PM
I realize not very many of the GP group wants to chime in but I would sure like to know what it is that they think they are doing by running or ruining the home town pulls. I too would like to pull again but from what I see if you don't build exactly what everyone else is running it will be tough to compete with the rules that GP has in place. The funny thing is we look on this site and we have to see the results from a GP pull but yet NO ONE can answer my questions. Oh and before you go and start whining about my name when your club answers and fixes the problem I will gladly tell you may name .

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 06, 2013 03:36PM
Riddle me this
I realize not very many of the GP group wants to chime in but I would sure like to know what it is that they think they are doing by running or ruining the home town pulls. I too would like to pull again but from what I see if you don't build exactly what everyone else is running it will be tough to compete with the rules that GP has in place. The funny thing is we look on this site and we have to see the results from a GP pull but yet NO ONE can answer my questions. Oh and before you go and start whining about my name when your club answers and fixes the problem I will gladly tell you may name .

Wrong thread

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 06, 2013 05:18PM
I agree with most in this tread about leaving the rules alone and agree if you want more horsepower then you should move to higher up classes. And I also agree with the last person who posted on the wrong thread about the gptp. If you are out of the area or don't have exactly what they say you should have you will be looked at with disrespect and called a cheater even when you drive 3 hours out of your way to come help put on a show at one of their pulls. Had that happen to me and got a first and second and was told I wouldn't be paid back and haven't been back and won't ever come back. Hope that doesn't happen to anyone else.

Re: GPTP results August 07, 2013 10:49AM
Nobody's holding a gun to your head to click on the GPTP results you don't like them don't look at them

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 07, 2013 11:46AM
To try & get this back on track:

One other way to look at it, is that there is a pretty large gap between the 3000 RPM Open farm tractors in IA, SD, and NE, and the "Hot Farm" classes that usually consist of 3x3 chargers (or maybe bigger) and P pumps, and perhaps bigger cubes. So, is there a fit/demand for another class in between those two?? And if so, what kind of rules would we be looking at? Or is it too close between the two classes?

Lets just toss this idea out here:

2.6" charger
11mm A pump
3000 RPM's
466 cube limit, factory 504 cube engines allowed
Cut 20.8-38's or 18.4-42's
SFI clutch, blanket, and tie bars required. Cage or ROPS required.
9000 lbs.

Just a thought.

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 07, 2013 12:07PM
there is a class for everyone- its called super stock

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 07, 2013 01:01PM
Hey Matt hope you know that 11mm A pump is EXPENSIVE compared to a more reliable P pump which would also start at less money then when you can run it for years makes it an even better value.

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 07, 2013 01:43PM
Okay, that's food for thought.

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 07, 2013 03:04PM
Keith, I was thinking the same thing, and agree with you

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 07, 2013 03:35PM
GP NE and WCI are the only clubs that run a pump tractors any way. Just about every other group runs a p pump 3000 rpm class

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 07, 2013 11:53PM
I like THE GT-42idea But I have seen more p pumps go down this year then A pumps .In my book the 3lm has it weak spots but in some tractors they live for ever.Just change the turbo .

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 08, 2013 10:27AM
Thanks for getting this back on track matt, after reading the IAMO hot rules I would think that if we could get enough interest we should just run there set of rules, keep it consistant with what they are doing just like all of the 3000rpm class rules are......But idk how much interest there would be...i'm all for it...And i agree that there is too large of gap between the 3000s and the next step, woudl be nice to have something else

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 07, 2013 04:34PM
LIKE!!!!

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 07, 2013 10:53PM
IAMO runs an A and P pump class, both 3000, both GT 42.

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 08, 2013 10:25AM
I hope I can get some representation from all three clubs in akron saturday. All are welcome

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 17, 2013 09:01AM
We have had similar problems on the east coast where I am from went from the 3lm to a 2.5 limit now most tractors are over road gear and not much different from open rpm 3x3s. just wondering if running a box stock hx50 or s300 isn't the way to go for a budget class? how much of an upgrade is that from a3lm? I think a stock 3lm is good for around 400 horse can u make 450 or 5 with one of the others?

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 17, 2013 01:13PM
Saw 525 on Dyno with Hx50 466 IH Rotary Pump.

Re: A Question for all neb, ia, and sd 3000rpm pullers August 17, 2013 03:31PM
you can get 540 hp with an out off the box 3lm 466 turbo at 3000 rpms a-pump 466 cubes

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009