Quad Range or Synchro February 26, 2009 09:16AM
I have found a tractor that I would like to make into a puller. I'm still planning on pulling in the 11,000 and 13,000 out of the field classes. It's a JD 4430 with a synchro. My question to you all is, what would be better, a quad range or a synchro. I'm still planning on using it around the farm. I want the tractor to hold up for the pulls, but still be practical. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was thinking that with a synchro, there would only be one clutch to go bad. So I'm wanting some more advice as to what would be an easier tractor to get started. I also would like any other helpful hints that would give me a strong puller, while maintaining the tractors usability. Thanks!

Re: Quad Range or Synchro February 26, 2009 10:17AM
Snycro is the way to go pick it n stick it, no shifting between gears, and blowing the clutch out on your quad, if your planning on making any power at all, do yourself a favor, get a steel flywheel, and turn that perma clutch into a 4disk by using the pto side aswell, and forget about using it around the farm and buy a cheap junk 1066 to use on the farm, no need to be proud there just be proud on the track as your putting feet on them red junk!!!!! good luck

Re: Quad Range or Synchro February 26, 2009 10:53AM
If your going to use it on the farm also get a quad. It will help you on the track when you are short of power you can down shift and only be 20 feet behind the farmalls instead of 30.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro February 26, 2009 12:44PM
You will definately be farther ahead with the quadrange for both farming and pulling,because that is the only thing that is going to keep you within 10 feet of a RED one.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro February 26, 2009 02:44PM
Here we go another million post topic about whats better red or green! Yippie!!

Re: Quad Range or Synchro February 26, 2009 03:09PM
It's not about red or green, its about quadrange or synchro and quadrange is the only way to keep up.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro February 26, 2009 05:36PM
The synchro will work, but the best thing would be a quad. The clutch pack in the two speed doesn't give much trouble, especially in farm stock. A quad range is actually a 8 speed synchro with a two speed put in front of it. So you can buy the synchro and later if you would like, put the two speed in it. It can all be found at your local junk yard. Really the biggest question is what horsepower you will be turning and where do you want to go down the road. Also, what do you want to do with it on the farm? I have been on this road before.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro February 27, 2009 02:27AM
syncro is just fine for pulling because the chance of you shifting the 2-speed quad just at the right time is pretty slim and that hurts you more then it helps you. forget about farming with it -get it running for pulling and go out and mop up the binders -it dont take much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Quad Range or Synchro February 27, 2009 03:09AM
The quad range would hold up but the syncro is the way to go. I ran a quad range in a pro stock class for 12 years and it held up fine but it does more harm than good. You will have a more consistant pull if you stay in one gear the whole time and not shifting.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro February 27, 2009 04:28AM
Just wondering, what's the weight difference between a quad and a synchro ? Buy which ever is cheaper and put the money towards 55 series head.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro February 27, 2009 05:25AM
sometimes it depends on what kind off sled your pulling. if it is a sled that drops the pan at the end go with the synchro.
But if it is just a normal old fashion sled that dont drop any pans 80% off the time your better off with the quad.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro February 27, 2009 06:36AM
The two speed only weighs about 50lbs or so. So it wouldnt make that much difference. I recently took the 2 speed out of my pro stock tractor and I notice more steady hooks and a few more horsepower.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 02, 2009 05:26AM
Thanks for the comments guys. That was just what I needed to know. Also, what would it take for that Deere to hang with these guys with 13mm pumps and 3lms on a 1066. I know it will be tough to hang with those guys.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 02, 2009 05:56AM
What is your cube limit?

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 02, 2009 12:17PM
Stock cubes only. I have to run the 404

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 02, 2009 01:05PM
If you have to stay 404, get a good pump, blower and injectors. I would also suggest a 55 series head. You will never get enough power in a stock class to hurt the Quad.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 03, 2009 05:06AM
if you want a 55 series head you have to go atleast 4 9/16 bore. your valves will hit if you put it on a 404.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 02, 2009 06:44AM
You'll keep up just fine. get a good head on your engine and put some juice to her!

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 02, 2009 11:56AM
we got a 4440 quad that runs pretty good with around 8500 hrs on the tranny never been apart. you can boost up the PSI to. there is a family from vermont that pulls D 3 and D 4 with all stock parts but they got the PSI boosted way up and they got the PTO shaft welded to the input shaft. Them vermont boys show them IH boys how its done!!!!!! GO WITH THE QUAD

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 02, 2009 11:20PM
I have got a stock quad running 250psi, just change the filter bolt to a stonger grade other wise it may strectch the bolt. if you are not looking to use the tractor any longer on the farm you can lock the pto clutch to the traction clutch u just need to make sure you rout your oil properly. I am running a 4430 at 3000rpm and can run road gear on non clay tracks, no clutch problems, or quad problems

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 02, 2009 11:30PM
hey barncat
what weight class are you running road gear in, and what size tires are you running, and don't try and tell me your still running a 404

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 04, 2009 01:23AM
NOT SURE WHO YOU ARE, BUT I LIKE YOUR REFERENCE TO THE VT BOYS.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 02, 2009 11:44PM
if your going to pull with red tractors you will need quad if you want to win

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 03, 2009 06:15AM
I run an IH and I am not prejudice toward any color, but I think that your chances are far better if you can shift with a tractor thats more than less stock.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 03, 2009 07:52AM
You are right! I run a 4320 synchcro and It's tough to beat an IH with a TA.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 03, 2009 12:09PM
A quadrange is the only way to keep up with an IH with a T/A. Ask barncat601 how to put a 7.6 or an 8.1 in a 4430 and switch the number tags so it looks perfect. That's the answer to running roadgear.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 03, 2009 02:54PM
Or you can just do your homework figure out how to make the older engines run, but hell atleast it is still togather.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 03, 2009 11:15PM
Wheres that Barncat John Deere from????

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 04, 2009 12:00AM
Vermont

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 04, 2009 01:22AM
WHO IS AND WHERE IS JD 4440 FROM?

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 04, 2009 04:21AM
Dont matter. Its awsome to see a small block green one out front! she might be a little on the rusty side but that makes it that much better!!!!!

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 04, 2009 05:04AM
you can't use a liter block, they look way different than a regula 400 series deere block.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 04, 2009 09:40AM
Quad or synchro?
They both suck look for a powershift. Boost the pressure and let her rip.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 04, 2009 10:33AM
Are you one of those French Canadians? I hear they like to pull those powershifts up there, front end is ays in the air and no wheelie bars.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 04, 2009 12:00PM
Yeah you wouldnt be such a low budget puller after that power shift takes a dump.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 04, 2009 10:45AM
Code Man your damn rite!!! the rougher they look the better!

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 05, 2009 12:55PM
theres no need for a quad I have seen some one go from 8th to 6th with a 6030 on the track

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2009 12:59PM by LowBudgetPuller.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 05, 2009 12:59PM
yea thats bullshit but they don't look much different. a liter block in a JD anyone could tell it doesn't belong

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 06, 2009 03:09AM
shifting a syncro from 8th to 6th isnt very safe on the track. i seen a 5020 do that at plattville wisconsin a couple years ago and the tractor split in half -although maybe he shoulda had a steel flywheel instead of cast

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 08, 2009 12:52AM
if you know anything about pullin you wouldnt be shifting a syncro while pulling. I would like to see a power shift take the power that the VT boys put out cause i know it wouldnt happen period.

Re: Quad Range or Synchro March 08, 2009 01:09AM
There is a guiy out of canada, that has a 4630 power shift that is close to the vermont boys in power I beleive. I haev yet to see the tractor make a successful pass in vermont. They claim he does alright up there. I have no idea what he has dont to his trany other than is pressure is in the 300psi range. Last year it had motor trouble the day I pulled against him. Not the way I would go transmision wise but he's trying it. I still love my quad.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,680, Posts: 229,782, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member Jason