Corn & Bean Planting April 12, 2020 12:10AM
Happy Easter everyone. I live between St. Louis and Springfield IL. Wondering how farmers getting alone with spring crops, around here I"d say 30 - 40 percent 0f corn is in, and 20 - 30 percent of beans are in. Some people planted beans before corn witch may be the new thing of the future, hope they don't get frosted.

Re: Corn & Bean Planting April 13, 2020 01:47PM
I’m in SW Ohio, a few locals have some corn in the ground. I haven’t seen any beans yet.

Re: Corn & Bean Planting April 13, 2020 02:11PM
those that plant beans too early will have a Lesson to remember,Mother Nature's humor is seldom funny.

Re: Corn & Bean Planting April 14, 2020 12:47AM
I am down in So Indiana. Haven't planted any corn yet but have 500 acres of anhydrous on. Been real cold last few days and we got a little rain on Easter. Hope to start planting end of the week. Quite of few have corn planted. One guy next to me was planting beans already.

Re: Corn & Bean Planting April 14, 2020 02:42AM
Michigan/Indiana line...field next to my house was planted last Thursday...didn't look to see if it was beans or corn. Potatoes are going in the ground and gladiolias also. Most ground is being worked, so seeds in ground very soon. JW

Re: Corn & Bean Planting April 14, 2020 04:27AM
15 miles south of MN state line and 4 miles west of I-35. 17 degrees this morning and ground is still white from Easter snow. Not really planting weather yet.

Re: Corn & Bean Planting April 14, 2020 06:11AM
ya for sure, 12 degrees forecast for lows in the upper midvest.

Re: Corn & Bean Planting April 14, 2020 03:27PM
bandit496 area is predominantly a beautiful sandy loam with lots of center pivots. In the heart of the #1 seed corn production region in US.

I am 1.25 hour to west (very slight southwest) in north central Indiana. Predominantly silt loam soils, some sand and muck. I see anhydrous wagons sitting at farmsteads but I know of no applications yet. Late last week and this Monday, being warm, sunny days, some dry fertilizer was broadcasted. Soils are cold and wet.

All day today, wind chills have been in the 20's (low 22), maxing out one hour at 30. Bone chilling wind with a few short bouts of blowing Lake Michigan lake effect snow squalls.
Great hibernation weather !
Too many fruit buds, regardless of species/variety are subject to injury, especially as these wind chills continue on tonight and on into Saturday AM, having started yesterday.
Whacky weather. January was much too warm, February warm enough. Fruit buds this year been earliest emergence since 2012. I see already in 2020 weather with too many parallels, although not as extreme, to 2012. Those 7 or 8 year weather cycles usually work. Time will tell the story.

Re: ? for MICHIGAN FARMERS April 15, 2020 02:48AM
Does your governor's ban on buying seeds for gardens also apply to seeds/fertilizer/supplies for corn, soybean, and other crops for farmers in Michigan for whom this is their livelihood?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2020 02:49AM by The Original Michael.

Re: ? for MICHIGAN FARMERS April 17, 2020 11:10PM
Not that I know of.

Despite the cold temps, planters started moving in the Thumb over the last 3 days.

Re: Corn & Bean Planting April 15, 2020 12:04AM
South Central Ia. couple guys each planted bout 6-700 acres of Corn and 3-400 acres of Beans, last week. Well i think they are going to get to do it all again, been in mid 20' since then. We have 2in snow this morn.

Re: Corn & Bean Planting April 15, 2020 01:24AM
forecast is below average temps for much of the corn belt, 60s for highs,about 15 degrees off average,beans need heat,early corn planting is great, -IF THE SEASON IS READY!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,673, Posts: 229,771, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,076, Posts: 225,944.

Our newest member Jason